Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google's terrible syncing apps.

Feedback Score

Google's terrible syncing apps.

Had to manually write phone numbers down today because Google Hangouts apparently doesn't sync anymore, I went to use my Motorola e4 today and my Hangouts call logs and messages never synced, and 12 hours later still have not, in fact if I go to dial out of Hangouts dialer it doesn't recognize any number saved in my account... Don't try to explain to iOS users because they have a product that works.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Had to manually write phone numbers down today because Google Hangouts apparently doesn't sync anymore, I went to use my Motorola e4 today and my Hangouts call logs and messages never synced, and 12 hours later still have not, in fact if I go to dial out of Hangouts dialer it doesn't recognize any number saved in my account... Don't try to explain to iOS users because they have a product that works.
    Hangouts should work fine in Android, too. It has worked on every Android device I've used it on.

Did you give Hangouts permissions for Contacts?
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Call syncing through hangouts is a bit unusual. In my experience, hangouts will sync with contacts, but actual calls made through the hangout dialer will not sync across app installs on multiple devices. Calls do show up in the main google voice call log. Hangout "conversations" do sync.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Call syncing through hangouts is a bit unusual. In my experience, hangouts will sync with contacts, but actual calls made through the hangout dialer will not sync across app installs on multiple devices. Calls do show up in the main google voice call log. Hangout "conversations" do sync.
    Ya that's what I'm talking about, I don't really use Hangouts but when I do it'd be nice if it didn't present itself like I've never used it before. I've also noticed when I change contact info in Google voice my Hangouts account never shows the changes, the edit contact looks like it's from 2002.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^I'm not seeing this problem at all. If I edit a contact in the web browser, seconds later that change is reflected on the phone. If I close and reopen hangouts, it too indicated the updated contact.

Make sure under main android settings/accounts/google/yourgoogleaccount, contact syncing is enabled.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    That's been my experience, too. I suppose by Hangout "conversations", you are also including text messages, which do also sync.

Feedback Score
    ^^I'm not seeing this problem at all. If I edit a contact in the web browser, seconds later that change is reflected on the phone. If I close and reopen hangouts, it too indicated the updated contact.

Make sure under main android settings/accounts/google/yourgoogleaccount, contact syncing is enabled.
    My Hangouts via Google voice SMS seems to sync, it's my contacts and VoIP calls that aren't, but the main thing is when I open the Hangouts dialer and start typing an existing contact to call, it doesn't find them. Even if I start typing in the area code it still doesn't pull up any contacts, everything is checked to sync under settings, but on a my tablet my call history is there even though I don't use the Hangouts dialer on my tablet!!! Who knows, I'll look at it deeper someday.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    My Hangouts via Google voice SMS seems to sync, it's my contacts and VoIP calls that aren't, but the main thing is when I open the Hangouts dialer and start typing an existing contact to call, it doesn't find them. Even if I start typing in the area code it still doesn't pull up any contacts, everything is checked to sync under settings, but on a my tablet my call history is there even though I don't use the Hangouts dialer on my tablet!!! Who knows, I'll look at it deeper someday.

Why didn't you answer my question above? I'll just guess that the answer will be "no".

This Hangouts dialer not populating when you start typing in a contact name problem can occur if you haven't given Hangouts permission to access your phone's contacts.

It is very interesting that your Hangouts call history is showing up on your tablet. If you figure that one out, I'd like to know how to make my Hangouts call history sync across all my devices!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

I can't be 100% sure that this is fully accurate, but the way I've seen it work is that Hangouts pulls from your phone's contacts. On a few Android devices, I've had to enable permissions in Hangouts to allow access to Contacts in order for my contacts to be available in Hangouts. So, that probably explains why if contact syncing is enabled in settings/accounts/google/yourgoogleaccount , that after restarting Hangouts, any contact changes are also reflected there.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^On my phone, all hangout permissions are enabled. I suppose if contacts is denied, that would be reason enough to have this issue. GIGO

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good point. It's been too long since I've used local contacts. As much as I hate my info being in the cloud, this does make setting up new devices that much easier.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I manage my contacts strictly through Google, either using Gmail or more directly at contacts.google.com, and any input there pretty much instantly puts them into all my devices, as GPz mentioned. Sometimes I do add one or tweak an existing one at the device, and it hasn't failed yet to sync among all aspects/devices. As far as a separate contact list for Hangouts, I haven't noticed any problems with my set up. Hope you're able to sort that out!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I manage my contacts strictly through Google, either using Gmail or more directly at contacts.google.com, and any input there pretty much instantly puts them into all my devices, as GPz mentioned. Sometimes I do add one or tweak an existing one at the device, and it hasn't failed yet to sync among all aspects/devices. As far as a separate contact list for Hangouts, I haven't noticed any problems with my set up. Hope you're able to sort that out!
    sharp99 hasn't yet responded to my questions/comments about allowing Hangouts permission to access Contacts. But hopefully that will fix their Contacts issue in Hangouts!

Feedback Score
    Call sync does work between devices. I make Google voice calls via hangouts all the time. The calls show up on both my Android tablets.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    Call sync does work between devices. I make Google voice calls via hangouts all the time. The calls show up on both my Android tablets.
    Interesting. Would you happen to have any idea or guess why Hangouts call history sync isn't working for me or GPz1100 (as he also reported above)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast