Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wow, Tracfone lets you switch back and forth between carriers?

Feedback Score

Wow, Tracfone lets you switch back and forth between carriers?

I read this in a different thread, and wow, Tracfone lets you switch back and forth between carriers like that?

"I also be doing harvesting the minutes for BYOP (Samsung Galaxy A5) once I receive Rebel next week. Just hope there won't be any glitches between transfers as I would be going from AT&T (BYOD) to Verizon (Rebel), and then from Verizon back to AT&T."

(from this thread - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Rebel-2-bundle)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sure, I've done it many times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I read this in a different thread, and wow, Tracfone lets you switch back and forth between carriers like that?

"I also be doing harvesting the minutes for BYOP (Samsung Galaxy A5) once I receive Rebel next week. Just hope there won't be any glitches between transfers as I would be going from AT&T (BYOD) to Verizon (Rebel), and then from Verizon back to AT&T."

(from this thread - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Rebel-2-bundle)
    Nice thing about TracFone, Came in handy when I had a huge balance and unexpectedly moved to a lousy at&t area , they switched me to the Verizon side, even kept my number.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's a nice feature but it carries the same caveats as all other transfers or even adding air time/units. Get your service date and units documented via chat/screen scrape BEFORE you do any transfer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    It's a nice feature but it carries the same caveats as all other transfers or even adding air time/units. Get your service date and units documented via chat/screen scrape BEFORE you do any transfer.
    Good advice. I had that problem with net10, long story short, keep any redemption pins even when they're in your account already.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    OP here. This is just wow! So can the switch from Verizon to ATT be done only via customer service? I ask because here's my situation - I frequently have to travel. I usually don't know in advance what carrier will be best. I currently have a Tracfone Verizon LunaPro. I am wondering if I can take another phone along (a GSM phone) and a Tracfone ATT sim, and then switch between the two phones as required? (I don't own a carrier-agnostic phone that can work on all carriers).

(It sounds too far-fetched that I'd be able to do this, but hey, Tracfone has been full of (good) surprises for me so far!)
    Last edited by jettable; 01-11-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added info

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't know of a limit on the number of times that you can switch carriers, but it's probably not something you want to do frequently.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    OP here. This is just wow! So can the switch from Verizon to ATT be done only via customer service? I ask because here's my situation - I frequently have to travel. I usually don't know in advance what carrier will be best. I currently have a Tracfone Verizon LunaPro. I am wondering if I can take another phone along (a GSM phone) and a Tracfone ATT sim, and then switch between the two phones as required? (I don't own a carrier-agnostic phone that can work on all carriers).

(It sounds too far-fetched that I'd be able to do this, but hey, Tracfone has been full of (good) surprises for me so far!)
    What you are looking for is something that can be done with a Project Fi phone and service where it will pick the best carrier. However, Project Fi only deals with T-Mobile and Sprint. The delay in transfers can be up to 48 hours between carriers on Tracfone. Doubt Tracfone is going to give you timely flexibility.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 mini
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    That's not really going to help you. It can take up to 2 days to do a carrier switch and if you may need a new BYOP SIM card each time. Look into another solution, like a dual SIM phone (keep both SIMs active), having 2 phones, or a solution outside of TracFone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycatblues View Post
    That's not really going to help you. Look into another solution, like a dual SIM phone (keep both SIMs active), having 2 phones, or a solution outside of TracFone.
    Up until recent reports of problems with SIM swapping, a VZ Prepaid Moto E4 for $40 at Walmart + $2 Ebay unlock code was a good choice for a dual SIM phone. It works for both GSM and CDMA; although it has only one SIM slot, just tape the stand-by SIM into the back cover.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Up until recent reports of problems with SIM swapping, a VZ Prepaid Moto E4 for $40 at Walmart + $2 Ebay unlock code was a good choice for a dual SIM phone. It works for both GSM and CDMA; although it has only one SIM slot, just tape the stand-by SIM into the back cover.
    Or get this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Sim-Ca...L/222284263058 and you don't have to tape the 2nd SIM into the back cover and you can switch back and forth.

Don't try it with a CDMA SIM though, it won't work and I lost modem connectivity in the phone that I tried it with. I had to flash the modem back and was able to get it working again though.

Feedback Score
    Aah, the Moto E4 is an interesting and affordable solution! I had never really thought of the Verizon E4 in this light! How serious or widespread are the sim swapping problems?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score

Not that it should, but I would suspect "frequently" swapping between SIMs could raise a red flag with TF fraud department algorithms.
    Also, swapping between CDMA and GSM will require a new GSM SIM each time as would swapping between a T-Mobile and AT&T SIM. Swapping from GSM to CDMA will not require a new CDMA SIM each time.

How often is "frequent"?

You might find it worthwhile to invest in a Carrier agnostic device so you can easily swap between services. Decide which service best serves you at home and for the majority of your travels and choose that one as your primary service.
    Choose the other as a back up for away.

Port your number to Google Voice and then forward to the TF number given to you for each SIM.

GV can add more options, as an example a TruPhone SIM might be a better investment over the long run if TF CDMA best serves as your primary service.
    (Though I am not sure how well GV (voice mail) works with Truphone, so it might not be the best example. As a back up it probably won't be an issue and a topic for another discussion.)

If looking simply at cost and no pre-paid headaches, the Moto G / Play 4th Gen / Moto E devices are an inexpensive carrier agnostic device, certainly more advanced than a Nexus 4.

Just something to ponder,

=======================================

On this other subject raised,

Over the past 1 1/2 year I have never had to wait more than 10 min for my phone to properly provision no matter going between GSM or CDMA or between GSM and CDMA.

If you are told to wait "up to 48 hrs" you will most likely have to wrestle with C/S to get your phone to provision properly and or your units/days restored.
    Why I like to use chat and never leave to conversation until the phone is correctly provisioned and my units days are accurate, so far that has not been an issue.

This also a topic for another discussion.
    Last edited by ls61; 01-13-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Aah, the Moto E4 is an interesting and affordable solution! I had never really thought of the Verizon E4 in this light! How serious or widespread are the sim swapping problems?
    Within the last 4 weeks or so, several forum members reported that their SIMs quit working when swapped into another phone (or back to the original phone). They just needed to contact TF to get service restored. Didn't have to fight TF over their balance. We're still waiting for more data points.

Prior to that, I was swapping the BYOP GSM SIM from my Phoenix 2 and the CDMA SIM from my TF-branded Rebel 2 into the Moto E4 multiple times for testing without problems.

Feedback Score
    Within the last 4 weeks or so, several forum members reported that their SIMs quit working when swapped into another phone (or back to the original phone). They just needed to contact TF to get service restored. Didn't have to fight TF over their balance. We're still waiting for more data points.

Prior to that, I was swapping the BYOP GSM SIM from my Phoenix 2 and the CDMA SIM from my TF-branded Rebel 2 into the Moto E4 multiple times for testing without problems.
    You have been following the sim swap issue more closely than I have so I have a couple of questions. I have 2 unlocked phones that can use cdma or gsm sims and I have active TF Verizon, AT&T and T-MOBILE sims. I swap them around. I have not seen any issues. From what you have seen, have the issues shown up where one of the phones is one of the prepaid phones that people used sim swapping instead of direct activation? Or, are either of the phones HSN or QVC bundled phones. In other words, have you seen issues when all phones are unlocked BYOP phones?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast