Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: New AT&T Site

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    0

    New AT&T Site

    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1515715169.100124.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  86.7 KB
    Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for a new tower to be built? There are two proposed sites in Butler County KY. These two sites, if built, will definitely bring needed competition to the area. It’s either AT&T with poor coverage or Bluegrass Cellular with good coverage but poor data speeds due to congestion. Thanks for any feedback.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern VA
    Posts
    166
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I had a Verizon tower built next to my house two years ago(in a rural area). A sign much like the one you posted was up at the Verizon site about 1.5 years before construction actually started. So from the time I saw the sign and it actually went up/came online was 3.5 years. Another tower about four miles from me went up around the same time period as the Verizon one. It is owned by American Tower(supposedly for AT&T). Both towers were up within two months once construction started. Verizon was operational after another month(3 months total). The American Tower has sat for two years now with no equipment on it. I have no clue why. It's in a much needed area too. I think you will be a mixed bag of answers. Some towers go up and online right away. Some just sit, I think one factor is whether the carriers own the tower or if they rent from a tower company, such as American Tower.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rza49311 View Post
    I had a Verizon tower built next to my house two years ago(in a rural area). A sign much like the one you posted was up at the Verizon site about 1.5 years before construction actually started. So from the time I saw the sign and it actually went up/came online was 3.5 years. Another tower about four miles from me went up around the same time period as the Verizon one. It is owned by American Tower(supposedly for AT&T). Both towers were up within two months once construction started. Verizon was operational after another month(3 months total). The American Tower has sat for two years now with no equipment on it. I have no clue why. It's in a much needed area too. I think you will be a mixed bag of answers. Some towers go up and online right away. Some just sit, I think one factor is whether the carriers own the tower or if they rent from a tower company, such as American Tower.
    Thanks for the info. I really hope it doesn’t take 3.5 years for this one to go up. I was hoping with FirstNet in the works that they might be in a hurry to get these sites up and running.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,636
    Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EricB294 View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1515715169.100124.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  86.7 KB
    Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for a new tower to be built? There are two proposed sites in Butler County KY. These two sites, if built, will definitely bring needed competition to the area. It’s either AT&T with poor coverage or Bluegrass Cellular with good coverage but poor data speeds due to congestion. Thanks for any feedback.
    Well in Michigan where I’m from, Verizon has taken over 5 years from when they first proposed the tower and it’s still not built.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pikeville, KY
    Posts
    374
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB (Qualcomm)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I live in eastern Kentucky. It depends on who is building it. I’ve seen sites sit under the name “New Cingular Wireless” for two years and the company name change to a third party like American Tower or Crown Castle and sit another year, the site be built and sit without antennas for another year, and antennas be added and sit another six months before activation. Typically though (and I watch this closely), 2-3 years from FCC application submission to being online on average.
    Current Device: Silver 256 GB iPhone X
    Carrier: AT&T

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkk2005 View Post
    I live in eastern Kentucky. It depends on who is building it. I’ve seen sites sit under the name “New Cingular Wireless” for two years and the company name change to a third party like American Tower or Crown Castle and sit another year, the site be built and sit without antennas for another year, and antennas be added and sit another six months before activation. Typically though (and I watch this closely), 2-3 years from FCC application submission to being online on average.
    I guess my excitement was for nothing then. I was just hoping with FirstNet and the addition of their fixed wireless plans in certain states (Kentucky being one) they might move along a little quicker.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,003
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EricB294 View Post
    I guess my excitement was for nothing then. I was just hoping with FirstNet and the addition of their fixed wireless plans in certain states (Kentucky being one) they might move along a little quicker.
    They might. All of the data other people are citing was pre-FirstNet.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    456
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    0
    A bit off-topic, but I really enjoy that the legal name for tower-related operations is still "New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC" (our in-building DAS was installed in 2013 and is listed as that legally, too). A few places on antennasearch.com also still bring up some classics like GTE Mobilnet, Nextel, and New Cingular Wireless near me, too. I'm a bit surprised AT&T hasn't folded the legal name into AT&T proper by now...it's been about ten year since that branding went away.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 06:46 PM
  2. New 3G AT&T Cell Sites: Mostly 1900 MHz ?
    By Network 10 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 04:33 PM
  3. New K660i Spotted at SE UK Site
    By addictcell in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 10:03 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 08:42 AM

Bookmarks