Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New AT&T Site

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    All new sites will be LTE-only. No sense investing in hardware that is going away in two years. It’s also next to impossible to get new UMTS equipment these days, as well.
    I was wondering if that was the case. I also noticed at least for now MFBI appears to not be on. One of my cousins had an old AT&T phone and he couldn't connect to the new tower. All I saw out of it on my phone was 12/66 all day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mdob07 View Post
    Also found a couple more new sites out by my aunts house near Taylorsville KY. Looks like they're really ramping up rural coverage in KY. Sprint and T-Mobile are non existent here, and Verizon/BC is fringe B13 that's unusable.
    The state's public service commission shows that AT&T applied for permits to construct 17 towers in 2019 and nearly 40 in 2018, nearly all of which are being built in rural areas. Those are in addition to towers that were handled via local governments' planning and zoning boards. They aren't messing around.

Feedback Score
    The coverage seems to be just as good as Bluegrass if not better. The data speeds are faster than Bluegrass being that Bluegrass is mainly just band 13. The new AT&T site's have 12, 66, and 4. The new site in Woodbury also has band 2.

The only gripe for me is the fixed wireless. I'm two miles from one of the new towers and they claim the reception for band 30 is too weak for me to subscribe. I can get all bands on my S9+ so I figured with their outdoor antenna I would be able to get band 30 with no problem but evidently the signal has to be near perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan View Post
    Hey Eric, what's it like in the boonies of Butler County now?

I just switched our three lines from Bluegrass to AT&T prepaid unlimited. Bluegrass has signal all over the place but as you know, it's ridiculously congested. My job takes me into all of the counties that surround Warren County. Edmonson County is usually my baseline when it comes to these things (if the service is good in Edmonson, it's probably as good and probably better everywhere else) and I had no issues.

The difference in coverage compared to Bluegrass is negligible at worst and the speeds are incredible. Is consistent with what you're seeing in Butler County?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    A bit off-topic, but I really enjoy that the legal name for tower-related operations is still "New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC" (our in-building DAS was installed in 2013 and is listed as that legally, too). A few places on antennasearch.com also still bring up some classics like GTE Mobilnet, Nextel, and New Cingular Wireless near me, too. I'm a bit surprised AT&T hasn't folded the legal name into AT&T proper by now...it's been about ten year since that branding went away.
    New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC still owns a HUGE amount of spectrum in the US, possibly more than AT&T Mobility and AT&T Mobility II. Of course they are all used for the same network, but owned by different legal entities.

The Connecticut Telecommunications database shows some older towers with Voicestream, AT&T Wireless (NOT AT&T Mobility), Bell Atlantic Mobile, Cingular, Sprint PCS, and Pocket Wireless. The only one that is remotely close to it's original name is Sprint PCS. Voicestream ended up as T-Mobile, Bell Atlantic Mobile became Verizon, AT&T Wireless was bought by Cingular and dissolved, Cingular became AT&T Mobility, and Pocket got bought by MetroPCS which then got bought and dissolved by T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Anywhere from months to years.
    Most accurate answer.

Quote Originally Posted by EricB294 View Post
    It's only about 6 or 7 miles from the tower in the pic though. Seems really close together to me.
    It depends on the area, topography, and density. Some areas in the rural Midwest that are flat seem to be on upwards of 20 mi site spacing, here in Connecticut, you're lucky to get 2 miles out of a tower based on the topography, forest coverage, and allowed tower heights. In major cities, spacing for macros can be a few blocks, much less small sites, based on capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by EricB294 View Post
    The coverage seems to be just as good as Bluegrass if not better. The data speeds are faster than Bluegrass being that Bluegrass is mainly just band 13. The new AT&T site's have 12, 66, and 4. The new site in Woodbury also has band 2.

The only gripe for me is the fixed wireless. I'm two miles from one of the new towers and they claim the reception for band 30 is too weak for me to subscribe. I can get all bands on my S9+ so I figured with their outdoor antenna I would be able to get band 30 with no problem but evidently the signal has to be near perfect.
    Does Bluegrass not use PCS or anything else? Between them and Verizon, they must own some other spectrum?

The AT&T iPad plan might work nicely if you don't have cable/fiber available.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3