T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Sprint’s CTO outlines network buildout plans, 5G preparations

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sp...g-preparations

Name:  sprint-saw.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  15.4 KB

Sprint CTO John Saw, Ph.D., said the company plans to add 2.5 GHz and 800 MHz antennas to virtually all of its existing cell sites and will also add new cell sites to its network to grow its coverage footprint. He also said the company is laying the groundwork to deploy 5G network technology, though he said Sprint is planning to offer mobile 5G services and not fixed 5G services like Verizon.

“We have no plans to launch fixed wireless at the moment,” Saw said today during an appearance at a Wall Street investor event. “Right now I think our focus is on mobile broadband; the economics are so much better. Maybe when you look into the 5G world, when we have more spectral efficiency, and potentially new spectrum, we can revisit the opportunity for fixed wireless.”

Verizon is planning to launch fixed 5G services in three to five cities this year.

As for 5G, Saw said that the operator is currently laying the groundwork to launch an eventual mobile 5G service, though he didn’t offer a specific timeline or launch date. Saw added that, even though most of the operator’s LTE traffic is carried over its current 2.5 GHz spectrum holdings, that band is present on only about 70% of the operator’s cell sites, covering roughly 200 million POPs. Saw said the operator plans to upgrade virtually all of its cell sites to support its 2.5 GHz spectrum, while also adding massive MIMO capabilities on the path to 5G.

“Massive MIMO, it’s going to be a bridge to 5G,” Saw explained. “Because we have so much spectrum at 2.5, I can allocate half of my spectrum to LTE Advanced and other half for 5G. … And I can run 5G NR and LTE simultaneously on the same massive MIMO site, without climbing the tower again in 2019. So I can simultaneously support both over this massive MIMO radio. So as we build massive MIMO this year, we’re really starting to build a 5G network that also supports LTE Advanced. So it kills two birds with one stone.”

Added Saw: “And then over the same massive MIMO base stations, we’re going to launch 5G NR when it’s available,” he said. “So it’s a more pragmatic plan.”

Saw discussed a variety of Sprint’s other networking efforts, including:

Magic Box. Saw said Sprint’s Magic Box is basically a mini base station that can create a bubble of wireless service by connecting to a nearby Sprint tower. “We have shipped like tens of thousands of them by now,” Saw said, adding that the company plans to eventually ship “hundreds of thousands” of the devices.

Small cells. “We have a really strong pipeline now of small cells. It took us a little bit longer, as it did the rest of the industry, to get a strong pipeline of permits,” Saw said. “And we do have that now to build more small cells.”

The Altice deal. “The Altice agreement is unique,” Saw said, explaining that the cable operator will be able to offer wireless service through an MVNO with Sprint, while Sprint will be able to tap into Altice’s wired network in places like Long Island to more quickly deploy small cells.

Saw added that those small cells will be backhauled through Altice’s DOCSIS network: “We obviously have the option of running dedicated fiber, but I think to get it out fast and to leverage what is already there, I think we’ll manage to use what is already there, to use the DOCSIS backhaul that we have with Altice.”
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    GPON for small cells, maybe, but DOCSIS? Seems kinda crazy to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sp...g-preparations

Name:  sprint-saw.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  15.4 KB

Sprint CTO John Saw, Ph.D., said the company plans to add 2.5 GHz and 800 MHz antennas to virtually all of its existing cell sites and will also add new cell sites to its network to grow its coverage footprint. He also said the company is laying the groundwork to deploy 5G network technology, though he said Sprint is planning to offer mobile 5G services and not fixed 5G services like Verizon.

“We have no plans to launch fixed wireless at the moment,” Saw said today during an appearance at a Wall Street investor event. “Right now I think our focus is on mobile broadband; the economics are so much better. Maybe when you look into the 5G world, when we have more spectral efficiency, and potentially new spectrum, we can revisit the opportunity for fixed wireless.”

Verizon is planning to launch fixed 5G services in three to five cities this year.

As for 5G, Saw said that the operator is currently laying the groundwork to launch an eventual mobile 5G service, though he didn’t offer a specific timeline or launch date. Saw added that, even though most of the operator’s LTE traffic is carried over its current 2.5 GHz spectrum holdings, that band is present on only about 70% of the operator’s cell sites, covering roughly 200 million POPs. Saw said the operator plans to upgrade virtually all of its cell sites to support its 2.5 GHz spectrum, while also adding massive MIMO capabilities on the path to 5G.

“Massive MIMO, it’s going to be a bridge to 5G,” Saw explained. “Because we have so much spectrum at 2.5, I can allocate half of my spectrum to LTE Advanced and other half for 5G. … And I can run 5G NR and LTE simultaneously on the same massive MIMO site, without climbing the tower again in 2019. So I can simultaneously support both over this massive MIMO radio. So as we build massive MIMO this year, we’re really starting to build a 5G network that also supports LTE Advanced. So it kills two birds with one stone.”

Added Saw: “And then over the same massive MIMO base stations, we’re going to launch 5G NR when it’s available,” he said. “So it’s a more pragmatic plan.”

Saw discussed a variety of Sprint’s other networking efforts, including:

Magic Box. Saw said Sprint’s Magic Box is basically a mini base station that can create a bubble of wireless service by connecting to a nearby Sprint tower. “We have shipped like tens of thousands of them by now,” Saw said, adding that the company plans to eventually ship “hundreds of thousands” of the devices.

Small cells. “We have a really strong pipeline now of small cells. It took us a little bit longer, as it did the rest of the industry, to get a strong pipeline of permits,” Saw said. “And we do have that now to build more small cells.”

The Altice deal. “The Altice agreement is unique,” Saw said, explaining that the cable operator will be able to offer wireless service through an MVNO with Sprint, while Sprint will be able to tap into Altice’s wired network in places like Long Island to more quickly deploy small cells.

Saw added that those small cells will be backhauled through Altice’s DOCSIS network: “We obviously have the option of running dedicated fiber, but I think to get it out fast and to leverage what is already there, I think we’ll manage to use what is already there, to use the DOCSIS backhaul that we have with Altice.”
    Off topic but I heard the CA specs for Sprint Galaxy S9. It's a killer. 5x41. 25+41+41. 26+41+41. 25+25+26

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Mike656 View Post
    GPON for small cells, maybe, but DOCSIS? Seems kinda crazy to me.
    It's not that crazy if you think about it.

If it can get Sprints coverage up to where it needs to be in a hurry, maybe they can stem some of the bleeding as a stopgap measure until they can afford to take the time to run real backhaul.

As it stands, if they wait around to run fiber out to every place they need it, they'll be bankrupt by the time it happens. They need to do this nationwide and now, not just in one city.

Feedback Score
    I am very happy all three frequencies will be on all the towers. 800mhz for those in buildings or far away and 1900mhz and 2.5ghz for those closer and with faster speeds.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When??? I plan on running a nationwide 6G network that will cover 110% of the US land.. *Soon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    I am very happy all three frequencies will be on all the towers. 800mhz for those in buildings or far away and 1900mhz and 2.5ghz for those closer and with faster speeds.
    I've seen the Galaxy S9 specs for Sprint?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    They've been promising that since Network Vision. They were supposed to 8T8R equipment on every site in 2015. Now they've moved on to another buzzword, massive MIMO. Sprint has deployed more press releases than equipment. What is truly baffling is there is no sense of "urgency" from Marcello to get their affairs in order. They always talk about the potential network they could have, not the one they're actually building.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    They've been promising that since Network Vision. They were supposed to 8T8R equipment on every site in 2015. Now they've moved on to another buzzword, massive MIMO. Sprint has deployed more press releases than equipment. What is truly baffling is there is no sense of "urgency" from Marcello to get their affairs in order. They always talk about the potential network they could have, not the one they're actually building.
    Remember the “give us two years and we’ll be #1 or #2 in every market” quote?

That was May 2015.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    It's not that crazy if you think about it.

If it can get Sprints coverage up to where it needs to be in a hurry, maybe they can stem some of the bleeding as a stopgap measure until they can afford to take the time to run real backhaul.

As it stands, if they wait around to run fiber out to every place they need it, they'll be bankrupt by the time it happens. They need to do this nationwide and now, not just in one city.
    My point is the upload on a current DOCSIS network isn't sufficient, 4 upload channels at 37 Mbps each would only allow them to place 1-2 cell sites on each node I'm guessing, since they still have to share that bandwidth with others. I understand them wanting to go cheap, but this just seems to be pushing it a bit far, even by Sprint standards.

Feedback Score
    My point is the upload on a current DOCSIS network isn't sufficient, 4 upload channels at 37 Mbps each would only allow them to place 1-2 cell sites on each node I'm guessing, since they still have to share that bandwidth with others. I understand them wanting to go cheap, but this just seems to be pushing it a bit far, even by Sprint standards.
    The point of going to 7 Mbps up is to Gigabit LTE down on 3xca which they could not do if they had not done that. Do they need upload CA yes which has been activated on some phones. 64 QAM is needed also.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Customers aren't really concerned with upload speeds. If Sprint can use cable TV systems to improve their service footprint, more power to them. I just hope it's not too late.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Instead of 5G, let’s finish 4G LTE and VoLTE...

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Instead of 5G, let’s finish 4G LTE and VoLTE...
    Let's not forget the size of Sprint's actual LTE network... LOL