Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warranty Replacement Question

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Warranty Replacement Question

I've got a ~16mo old Moto Droid Force Z XT1650-02, am content with it (not in love). Battery is dying, I am still paying for insurance/warranty. What is the overall quality of refurb phones they send to customers? I'm on the fence of going that route, or just paying a reliable repair shop $75 to replace the battery.

Feedback Score
    if your still paying for insurance/warranty and the phones battery is dying, then wouldn't that be considered a manufacturing defect ?? you should be able to get a new phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    if your still paying for insurance/warranty and the phones battery is dying, then wouldn't that be considered a manufacturing defect ?? you should be able to get a new phone.
    That's why he/she is asking about the quality of the replacement phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nermel View Post
    I've got a ~16mo old Moto Droid Force Z XT1650-02, am content with it (not in love). Battery is dying, I am still paying for insurance/warranty. What is the overall quality of refurb phones they send to customers? I'm on the fence of going that route, or just paying a reliable repair shop $75 to replace the battery.
    It varies a lot. Some are good, some are terrible. If you get a bad one, you can keep sending them back until you get one that is acceptable. Take pictures of the bad devices that they send to you so you have proof because if they send too many bad ones, you can ask to be upgraded. They used to be more lenient with upgrading but people abused it. However if you have pictures of the bad ones, you have much more leverage and can even file a complaint with the insurance commissioner in your state if they won't upgrade you after getting several bad ones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Replacements typically are not "new" phones. They are typically refurbished units.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcycle mama View Post
    Replacements typically are not "new" phones. They are typically refurbished units.
    Yes we know, but that wasn't OP's question. OP wants to know the quality of the refurbs. The quality varies, some are good some are bad. You can keep returning them until you get one in good shape. If they send you too many bad ones, you can ask to be upgraded.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    Yes we know, but that wasn't OP's question. OP wants to know the quality of the refurbs. The quality varies, some are good some are bad. You can keep returning them until you get one in good shape. If they send you too many bad ones, you can ask to be upgraded.
    Yeah, I know that. I was responding directly to the poster whom I quoted who said "you should be able to get a new phone."

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nermel View Post
    I'd return it for warranty. There should be no charge.
    If the phone they send you isn't up to par; send it back until you get a good one.
    I have done that. I had one phone I sent back until I got one that didn't have defects.
    It took three tries. Since then I haven't had an issue.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I appreciate everyone taking the time for replying. Decided to pay a reputable cell phone repair place ~$70 for a new battery. Having a newer phone sent is tempting, but I'm afraid it may become a bit of a game of "hit or miss" with what you get.

Thanks again!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that the manufacturer warranty is only 12 months and is not the same thing as insurance. Insurance does require a deductible charge and since the OP admits the phone is 16 months old, there is no warranty left.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Keep in mind that the manufacturer warranty is only 12 months and is not the same thing as insurance. Insurance does require a deductible charge and since the OP admits the phone is 16 months old, there is no warranty left.
    That isn't how it works on Verizon.

TMP = total mobile protection = insurance + extended warranty + tech coach

TEC = total equipment coverage = insurance + extended warranty

WPP = wireless phone protection = insurance

On Verizon, most people have either TMP or TEC, which include extended warranty coverage with no deductible through Verizon. True you get those awful CLNRs but there is no deductible as long as there is no physical damage to the phone.

If you have WPP, that is insurance only, no extended warranty.

TMP = TEC + tech coach

If you live in Florida, you should only buy WPP not TMP since after the 1 year manufacturer's warranty you have to pay the deductible for any problems even if there is no physical damage to the phone. TEC is not available in Florida.

If you live anywhere else but Florida, you should only buy TEC since tech coach is not worth paying extra for.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the further clarification

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Thank you for the further clarification

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app
    You are welcome. Heads up everyone, Verizon is increasing the price of TMP from $11 to $13 but the price of TEC is staying the same at $9. Yet another reason not to pay for TMP and get TEC instead!

And the price of WPP is decreasing from $7.15 to $6.75.

https://i.imgur.com/ymaF0Ke.jpg

The only reason to consider TMP is if you would go with the multi-line plan.

Total Mobile Protection goes up to $13 per month (from $11) for new customers on January 25.

Total Mobile Protection goes up to $13 per month (from $11) for existing customers on March 6.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    You are welcome. Heads up everyone, Verizon is increasing the price of TMP from $11 to $13 but the price of TEC is staying the same at $9. Yet another reason not to pay for TMP and get TEC instead!

And the price of WPP is decreasing from $7.15 to $6.75.

https://i.imgur.com/ymaF0Ke.jpg

The only reason to consider TMP is if you would go with the multi-line plan.

Total Mobile Protection goes up to $13 per month (from $11) for new customers on January 25.

Total Mobile Protection goes up to $13 per month (from $11) for existing customers on March 6.
    Does TEC give you insurance and an extended warranty?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What I have decided to do with my son's new iPhone X is to get the cheapest Verizon insurance, now $6.75/mo, to cover loss/stolen replacement, and Applecare to cover warranty or accident replacement. This will cost a bit more overall that just TMP (comes to about $15/mo), but I'd MUCH rather have Apple replace or repair the phone than anyone Verizon would come up with, and it also allows for more instances of screen repair and device replacement overall.
    ---
    Cellular One (AT&T), Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, back to Verizon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast