Thread: iOS Wi-Fi Calling troubleshooting

Feedback Score

iOS Wi-Fi Calling troubleshooting

Hi folks,

I have a Wi-Fi calling issue with my AT&T Prepaid iPhone SE 32GB that I was hoping one of you gurus might have an answer to. Basically, Wi-Fi calling is not working on this line and I believe it has to do with the SIM card. Because if I take a SIM from another iPhone that has Wi-Fi calling working, then the AT&T Prepaid phone shows the Cricket Wi-Fi carrier. I've been on Cricket chat to get them to send the SIM signal to "activate" the advanced features but it seems like I've exhausted all of their troubleshooting steps.

Another reason why I think it has to do with the SIM is because the line was a spare line and wasn't in a phone at the time of the OTA update signal. Fast forward to present time, I have the older SIM but no advanced features like HD Voice or Wi-Fi calling. What's interesting is that the SIM card that has been provisioned with advanced features has IMS setting menu that can be viewed in General->About and toggling the Carrier menu. When I try to do the same with the other SIM installed, that menu item does not exist. They recommended upgrading the SIM to the latest one but would not provide a discounted or free SIM to me.

I'm at wits end over this and would appreciate if anyone has experience with this exact situation and how they ended up resolving it. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Both phones are iPhone SE with latest iOS and carrier settings. One is unlocked and one is AT&T prepaid (which I don't think matters)
    Last edited by sorrento121; 01-13-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: more detail

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Being an at&t prepaid iPhone shouldn’t matter. I have the at&t prepaid SE and WiFi calling works fine.

A new sim might fix it. Too bad cricket won’t give you a free one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You can get a free SIM yourself. Go to a Best Buy store, pick up a Cricket SIM and a $60 Cricket Refill card, check out them at the same time and the total will be $59.

Feedback Score
    I guess I’ll have to try the new white sim since the toggling stream more trick doesn’t work and I’ve disabled and enabled it to no avail.

I don’t see the combo deal for sim and refill card on the Best Buy website. Can you point me to detailed deal information? If true, that’s pretty slick

Feedback Score
    Oh and I forgot to say thanks to everyone who responded!

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    If you're looking online, the deal automatically applies if you add a SIM card kit (or phone) and refill. I've run into some issues with Best Buy SIM kits not being activated properly on Best Buy's side of things, but even so, it may be cheaper to get a deal on a refill card (old-style SIM kit ($3.99) and $60 refill are discounted to $51.99). I'm currently using a recently-activated old SIM and have Wi-Fi calling on my iPhone 8 Plus and didn't have to jump through the hoops to get VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling working, so you may not have issues if you replace your SIM. If not, the new SIM kit also is eligible and costs $9.99.

On the site, the new SIM kit is pictured as an all-green package.

Feedback Score
    If you want a working SIM, you have to buy it in store. Only 1 out of about 20 SIM cards I ordered worked. Fortunately I was able to either return or exchange to working ones when I brought them to the store.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrin View Post
    If you want a working SIM, you have to buy it in store. Only 1 out of about 20 SIM cards I ordered worked. Fortunately I was able to either return or exchange to working ones when I brought them to the store.
    Yep - on the other thread about Best Buy, I just dealt with that today. The store didn't have any to exchange and seemed disinterested in doing a return, but rather "help" figure out why it wasn't working. I think that if I go back or it happens again, I'll just do a return and say I didn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrento121 View Post
    EDIT: Both phones are iPhone SE with latest iOS and carrier settings. One is unlocked and one is AT&T prepaid (which I don't think matters)
    AT&T Prepaid ones are fine (we have two on my account). If you've tried everything else, a SIM swap may be a good last resort.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. I received the Best Buy BYOD 2.0 white sim the other day. Activated it online with no problem and popped it in the iPhone. Soon thereafter the phone connected to Cricket WiFi and I’m ecstatic.

Now when I look at the General->About screen in iOS and toggle the carrier entry, it shows IMS status which was not shown with the older style Sim despite my best efforts. Thanks again to everyone for their help!