Thread: The last 4 digits of your sim/esn does not match

Feedback Score

The last 4 digits of your sim/esn does not match

I have been trying to activate a smartphone for a friend. She has an old feature phone on Tracfone. I had a smartphone that I am not using. I used this phone on Tracfone before as a BYOP so I know it is a working phone. I have a sim kit and put in the correct size sim. While trying to activate this new phone I get to "ENTER THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF YOUR CURRENT DEVICE'S SERIAL NUMBER". I have tried the last 4 if the IMEI as well as the last 4 of the sim card number. Nothing works. Any ideas?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Are you activating the new SIM with a transfer from your friend's feature phone? If so, TF is asking for the last 4 digits of your friend's phone's serial number. Emphasis on "CURRENT" device. It wants to make sure that you (or your friend) is the owner of the feature phone which is being used as the donor phone. Only the phone's owner would know its IMEI.

Also, with a BYOP, enter the SIM's last 15-digits whenever TF asks for an IMEI, don't enter the phone's IMEI.

Feedback Score
    Oh. Well that makes sense. I will see her tomorrow and I will try it again. Thanks for the quick post.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Also, with a BYOP, enter the SIM's last 15-digits whenever TF asks for an IMEI, don't enter the phone's IMEI.
    Also, with a GSM BYOP, enter the SIM's last 15-digits whenever TF asks for an IMEI, don't enter the phone's IMEI. With CDMA, TF wants both the IMEI and the SIM number.

Feedback Score
    That's weird, TracFone (net10} has one of the imeis on my dual SIM phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    That's weird, TracFone (net10} has one of the imeis on my dual SIM phone.
    What's weird? The fact that TF has the IMEI of your phone? They do, but they're requesting the OP to enter the IMEI to match up against their record to prove that the OP/her friend is the owner of that donor phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Are you activating the new SIM with a transfer from your friend's feature phone? If so, TF is asking for the last 4 digits of your friend's phone's serial number. Emphasis on "CURRENT" device. It wants to make sure that you (or your friend) is the owner of the feature phone which is being used as the donor phone. Only the phone's owner would know its IMEI.

Just an update. Used the 4 digits of feature phone and it proceeded to next step. Got hung up when it tried to determine how many minutes she had. Had to call an 800 number. Dreaded making the call but it turned out to be a completely automated call and went thru flawlessly. New phone working within 5 minutes. APN settings didn't work so I used the ones on my BYOP and they worked. All of her minutes transferred as well as her upcoming refill date. So all is well and she is very happy.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Good to hear of your success.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    Got hung up when it tried to determine how many minutes she had.
    Absolutely true. Tracfone has once again broken a feature that used to work.

I used to be able to "Get" the feature phone balances on the website, but now it just fails.

Apparently, the transfer sequence can't "Get" it either.

Come on, Tracfone, get your act together. Some of us are managing other people's phones.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Come on, Tracfone, get your act together. Some of us are managing other people's phones. Can we get an AMEN !!