Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: bought brand-new Verizon phone on Swappa, but ESN became blacklisted 8 months later

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    My best friend(also my co-worker for 11 years) bought her daughter a brand-new Verizon phone from Swapp bact last May. Her daughter had just graduated high school and was headed to college. An existing SIM from the account was inserted into the new phone and it worked flawlessly until just before Christmas. The daughter said the phone was getting a no-sim message. After a visit to the nearest Verizon corporate store, the employee put a new SIM in and it still did not work. Upon further checking, the employee and manger told her that the phone's ESN or IMEI was blacklisted for non-payment on a delinquent/charged-off account.

My friend's Verizon account has never been late for over 11 years, so she got very confused. Then the Verizon manager explained that it was the account that the phone's original device payment originated on. Obviously, it was the person who sold the phone on Swappa. Records showed that the phone was purchase in the same month that the person sold it on Swappa.

Swappa was no help because the purchase was 8 months ago. The credit card company initiated a dispute process, but no sure where that'll end up, again, because of the amount of time that has passed since purchase.

According to the Verizon corporate store manager, some people who need money would pull scams like this. The get several hundred dollars in a hurry by selling the new phone, then stop paying the device payment plan right after that.... Verizon doesn't flag the phone until the deadbeat account had been charged off and sent to collection agencies....

What can my friend do now? Will she just have to accept the $700 loss and never buy from Swappa again?
    You can ask verizon how much is owed on the phone, if it is in within reasons and something less than buying a new phone, pay it off and have a working phone again. you can ask verizon if they will let you payoff the remaining balance on the phone.
    you can still dispute it alongside.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    You can ask verizon how much is owed on the phone, if it is in within reasons and something less than buying a new phone, pay it off and have a working phone again. you can ask verizon if they will let you payoff the remaining balance on the phone.
    Verizon won't let you do that. They can't even tell you how much is owed due to privacy issues.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Either way, it's things like this that make buying phones online thru sources such as eBay and swappa a risky situation. I avoid them now for situations like this and several other risks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Iphone 4, haven't looked back..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTsucks View Post
    Either way, it's things like this that make buying phones online thru sources such as eBay and swappa a risky situation. I avoid them now for situations like this and several other risks.

I've never had a problem and who would think a seller with 400+ positive feedback would do something like this? OP's situation is rare.

And if you just check the IMEI like I explained how to do it, you can find out if the phone is financed while you are still able to dispute the charge with your credit card.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    I've never had a problem and who would think a seller with 400+ positive feedback would do something like this? OP's situation is rare.

And if you just check the IMEI like I explained how to do it, you can find out if the phone is financed while you are still able to dispute the charge with your credit card.
    I've actually checked mine way you said to do, I then even called Verizon to double check, both ways cleared the phone to be good to go. Bought the phone, received it and bam, it's on the Black list, was on the Black list when I did the checking, it just didn't show up. Fortunately I was dealing with a honest seller and they refunded my money. Just saying, there is always room for error, as I found out. I have definitely bought more working phones then black listed, but the risk is there, and there seems to be more and more fraud going on every day. Phones are to expensive to take much risks anymore, $700 gamble is a lot steeper now days then when $200 was considered high for phones. Just my two cents

Edit... Just for the record, if Verizon gives you the go ahead on an IMEI number and it turns out they are wrong, they don't take responsibility and pay for the phone.. it's to bad for you.

Feedback Score
    I've actually checked mine way you said to do, I then even called Verizon to double check, both ways cleared the phone to be good to go. Bought the phone, received it and bam, it's on the Black list, was on the Black list when I did the checking, it just didn't show up.
    Then you didn't buy from swappa. The phone's IMEI get's checked against the blacklist before it can be listed on swappa.

If you buy with a credit card through paypal from swappa and check the IMEI the way I explained once you get the phone, you will know the phone is paid off. If it is paid off, it can't be blacklisted for non-payment of the DPP. If you find out it isn't paid off, you can demand a return and dispute with your credit card.

Feedback Score
    Edit... Just for the record, if Verizon gives you the go ahead on an IMEI number and it turns out they are wrong, they don't take responsibility and pay for the phone.. it's to bad for you.
    There is no need to check with a Verizon employee. You can check here:

www.swappa.com/esn

for blacklist and like I said it can't be listed on swappa unless it passes that check.

Then if it is a Verizon phone, once you get it you can run the IMEI through the trade in site:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/digi...ice-trade-in#/

that will tell you if it is still being financed or not.

You don't need to involve a human being who can make a mistake typing in an IMEI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    There is no need to check with a Verizon employee. You can check here:

www.swappa.com/esn

for blacklist and like I said it can't be listed on swappa unless it passes that check.

Then if it is a Verizon phone, once you get it you can run the IMEI through the trade in site:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/digi...ice-trade-in#/

that will tell you if it is still being financed or not.

You don't need to involve a human being who can make a mistake typing in an IMEI.

Thanks! I just texted my friend and she texted me back the IMEI number.

I copied & pasted it to the Swapp ESN page. It shows up as the right phone.....
    and now my last bit of confidence in Swappa has just gone down the toilet.

Swappa shows the ESN as good and ready for activation!!!??? I opened a
    different browser and tried again, but still go the same thing... (please see
    the attached screenshot)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score

I copied & pasted it to the Swapp ESN page. It shows up as the right phone.....
    and now my last bit of confidence in Swappa has just gone down the toilet.

Swappa shows the ESN as good and ready for activation!!!??? I opened a
    different browser and tried again, but still go the same thing... (please see
    the attached screenshot)
    I think what is happening is that it takes time from when Verizon blacklists the phone before it gets in the global blacklist database. So it will immediately stop working on Verizon but it won't show up in the global database for a bit.

Now that I am thinking about it, when I had a Verizon iPhone stolen, it took about 48 hours for the IMEI to show up as blacklisted on the swappa checker.

How long ago did the phone stop working on Verizon?

Also, did your friend try calling the fraud department? 1-888-483-7200. I think fraud can unblacklist phones that are blacklisted for non-payment. Maybe she could convince a fraud rep to unblacklist it by explaining that the phone has been on her line for 8 months.

I would file the NOD, complain to the BBB, the AG and the FCC.

Feedback Score
    Try checking the IMEI on the Verizon BYOD portal

www.verizon wireless.com/bring-your-own-device/#checkDevice

you will have to manually type it in because HoFo is adding a referral link that is screwing it up. Remove the space between verizon and wireless.
    Last edited by VerizonNoMore; 01-14-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Feedback Score
    You can try the Page Plus checker too:

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/act...ew-activation/

Feedback Score
    Scammer bought phone from VZW on payments. Scammer didn't make all the payments. VZW still owns the phone.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Scammer bought phone from VZW on payments. Scammer didn't make all the payments. VZW still owns the phone.
    No. Verizon has a lien on the phone, they don't own the phone. The original owner owned the phone initially, then sold it to a good faith bona fide purchaser for value. Now that person owns the phone, not Verizon.

Think about a house with a mortgage, the bank doesn't own the home, the home owner does even though there is a lien on the house. In fact, if the mortgagor doesn't record the mortgage and the owner sells the house to a good faith purchaser for value who doesn't know about the mortgage, the new owner owns the house free and clear of the mortgage and the bank can't do anything at all about it because they didn't record the mortgage.

That's why banks record mortgages promptly. Regardless, the bank doesn't own the home. They can foreclose on the home if you don't pay your mortgage and have the house sold in a foreclosure sale, but they never own the house (unless of course they are the winning bid at the foreclosure sale and are given title that way).

But of course with phones there is no centralized place that liens are recorded unlike cars and mortgages. That makes it even more of a problem for Verizon, but still doesn't change the fact that Verizon has no legal right to blacklist a phone that has been sold to a good faith bona fide purchaser for value. In some states it is even a crime for them to do that.

Verizon only gets away with this because the average person is ignorant of the law and ignorant of their rights and they don't fight Verizon.

Feedback Score
    How come so many words? Substitute a Toyota financed car instead of a VZW financed phone. Toyota still owns the car.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    How come so many words? Substitute a Toyota financed car instead of a VZW financed phone. Toyota still owns the car.
    That's not interchangeable. Cars are more complicated and have titles, the lending bank holds the title so one couldn't just sell the car to someone and have them legally own it. They'd need their name on the title/the title itself. So that original owners loan would have to be paid off first.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast