Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: bought brand-new Verizon phone on Swappa, but ESN became blacklisted 8 months later

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    Um, duh, OP's friend has already done that. Read the OP before commenting to avoid embarrassing yourself in the future.
    I did, maybe you should follow your own advice, then reread my comment. Since the phone has been unlocked the situation has changed since the first post. My IPhone is financed through Apple’s Upgrade program. It passes Swappa’s ESN check, which is understandable, but my wife’s S8 is financed through Verizon, and it too passes Swappa’s ESN check. I have bought and sold quite a few items on Swappa’s, but now it’s Caveat emptor!!!
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    My IPhone is financed through Apple’s Upgrade program. It passes Swappa’s ESN check, which is understandable, but my wife’s S8 is financed through Verizon, and it too passes Swappa’s ESN check.
    Swappa's ESN checker doesn't detect financed phones, just phones that are blacklisted. I have already explained how to check to see if a Verizon phone is still being financed.
    Last edited by VerizonNoMore; 01-29-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Feedback Score
    Verizon does not globally blacklist a phone for non payment, they just block it from the Verizon network. The CEIR Blacklist is ONLY for lost / stolen phones. That's what the blacklist rules are. Carriers cannot submit a phone for any other reason.

Feedback Score
    Verizon did this on a galaxy tab S4 LTE (Verizon version) from eBay. Initially I was able to activate it, but now that I moved it to another line, it turned out blacklisted due to nonpayment. Filed NOD mentioning tort of conversion and got callback still refusing to take it off the blacklist. We left it where lady is going to check with supervisor. Hopefully it will not need to come to arbitration / mediation. Any advice from those able to clear device from blacklist?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guho View Post
    Verizon did this on a galaxy tab S4 LTE (Verizon version) from eBay. Initially I was able to activate it, but now that I moved it to another line, it turned out blacklisted due to nonpayment. Filed NOD mentioning tort of conversion and got callback still refusing to take it off the blacklist. We left it where lady is going to check with supervisor. Hopefully it will not need to come to arbitration / mediation. Any advice from those able to clear device from blacklist?

If it's on a blacklist for non-payment they are not going to allow it unless it's paid for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guho View Post

Most likely it was not blacklisted for nonpayment because the rules set forth when the nationwide blacklist was first created stated that the blacklist could not be used for nonpayment devices but for lost/stolen only.

There are online services that can "clean" the IMEI so that it can be used on other carriers other then the one the phone is blacklisted to. If you use it on the carrier it is blacklisted on, it will become blacked again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    Most likely it was not blacklisted for nonpayment because the rules set forth when the nationwide blacklist was first created stated that the blacklist could not be used for nonpayment devices but for lost/stolen only.

There are online services that can "clean" the IMEI so that it can be used on other carriers other then the one the phone is blacklisted to. If you use it on the carrier it is blacklisted on, it will become blacked again.
    It sounds like you did not read the thread. It is not globally blacklisted but within Verizon Wireless due to non-payment status. But this occurred while already in my possession and I am not a party to the unsecured credit extended to the original owner+there is no such thing as a lien on a tablet. The fact pattern contains all the elements of the tort of conversion. I think they understand where I am coming from because they've agreed to let me exchange the tablet for another one. I am happy with the resolution and the professionalism of the staff handling my notice of dispute.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8