Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comparing Verizon coverage/reception to a Verizon MVNO?...

Feedback Score

Comparing Verizon coverage/reception to a Verizon MVNO?...

Hi, people,

Years ago, I learned here that an MVNO (like PagePlus) is simply a RESELLER for the (Verizon) network.
    They buy minutes by the millions and resell those minutes to us, cheaper than we can buy them from Verizon.
    I therefore Thought that the PP service actually USEs the Verizon towers, etc...
    that we users would get the SAME coverage / service as a regular Verizon customer.
    Is that Not the case? Might we get Worse coverage / reception thru PP than thru Verizon?
    Thanks.
    Mark51

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yes they use their main carrier's towers so coverage is about the same.

A couple of places where there may be a distinction is that prepaid coverage may not be as extensive as paid coverage.

A couple of mvnos have roaming so if you are in a rural zone, you will atleast have some coverage. Page Plus doesn't.

Speed wise, Verizon was throttling data for their mvnos to 5mbps down and 2 mbps up. They may have recently dropped that policy.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ShredFred; 01-20-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZW
    Feedback Score
    When I want to fly somewhere, I have the option to buy a 1st class, business or an economy ticket. Same plane but the economy line is the longest one to get on board. Also I may have to pay extra for a meal or not get any.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    You could pay 5 times as much to get to the same place if you want. No guarantee it will be any more pleasant.

Red pocket 3 gig unlimited talk and text plan works out to $21 a month if you agree to their terms of paying $255 up front. I haven't had Verizon post paid for a while but I was paying upwards of 103$ a month for unlimited talk, text and data(of which I never managed to consume more than 4 gigs a month) per month after taxes and fees.

Feedback Score
    "Years ago, I learned here that an MVNO (like PagePlus) is simply a RESELLER for the (Verizon) network."

Nowadays Verizon is routing some mvno traffic off its network onto a cheaper third party one, degrading ping times and perhaps sometimes reliability, so you are not getting all of the real Verizon network any more.

This totally changes the equation for me. Some others do not care.

Feedback Score
    Thanks very much for the info, people.
    ShredFred; how can the coverage be less extensive if they all use the same towers?
    Comintel; Now, Verizon moving mvno traffic to an inferior carrier... THAT is a difference. Darn.
    Do you know if they move RedPocket traffic like that?

I've been with P+ for several years, paying $30, but recently found there are cheaper alternatives.
    RedPocket seems highly regarded here, and their $15 plan (1000, 1000, 1GB) is more than I need.
    Is there any reason why I should Not move over to RedPocket?

Thanks for your learned expertise.

Mark51
    Last edited by Mark51; 01-21-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: fix a typo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark51 View Post
    Comintel; Now, Verizon moving mvno traffic to an inferior carrier... THAT is a difference. Darn.
    Mark51
    I am not sure re Red Pocket but I suspect it is most of them who are opting for the new high speed package.
    It only affects data routing to web sites over backhaul and not communications with the tower. Mainly it shows as higher ping times.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply, Comintel, but I don't understand...
    Backhaul?... no clue. PingTimes?... I'd guess that refers to the speed of a connection.
    Not that I'm asking for an explanation, though... I'm a Low-tech user.
    As I'd mentioned, 1000 talk, 1000 text, and 1GB data is Plenty for my needs.
    I drive, using the internet (on my phone) only for finding directions, and cheap gasoline.
    Does somebody want to recommend an MVNO other than RedPocket?

And... I DID hit the Star to Up your reputation, Comintel. That apparently ain't working.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply, Comintel, but I don't understand...
    Backhaul?... no clue. PingTimes?... I'd guess that refers to the speed of a connection.
    Not that I'm asking for an explanation, though... I'm a Low-tech user.
    As I'd mentioned, 1000 talk, 1000 text, and 1GB data is Plenty for my needs.
    I drive, using the internet (on my phone) only for finding directions, and cheap gasoline.
    Does somebody want to recommend an MVNO other than RedPocket?

And... I DID hit the Star to Up your reputation, Comintel. That apparently ain't working.
    For that kind of light usage any of them would be absolutely fine unless you are in a roaming area, or need a lot of customer service, and the considerations I mentioned would not be of any real significance. Red Pocket would be fine.

If you need a very high level of Customer Service, Boom! is better.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    ShredFred; how can the coverage be less extensive if they all use the same towers?

I've been with P+ for several years, paying $30, but recently found there are cheaper alternatives.
    RedPocket seems highly regarded here, and their $15 plan (1000, 1000, 1GB) is more than I need.
    Is there any reason why I should Not move over to RedPocket?

Thanks for your learned expertise.

Mark51
    Prepaid versus Postpaid map might be different because of the roaming. You decide if that is important to you.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Prepaid versus Postpaid map might be different because of the roaming. You decide if that is important to you.

Also it depends on whether the MVNO supports VoLTE yet or not (most don't yet). There are areas (NW and SE Oklahoma) that only support roaming on prepaid if you have VoLTE. No CDMA roaming (or an extra charge, depends on the MVNO). Even Verizon prepaid charged for roaming there before VoLTE.

No MVNO seems to be able to produce a coverage map to the detail of the postpaid carriers. Though those tend to be optimistic, at least you can zoom in. Reports are that even the MVNOs can have difficulty in getting accurate information from their carriers.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Selectel Wireless has domestic roaming ($0.25/min.) and uses Verizon.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E815, W766, LG A340, etc...
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, PagePlus Cellular, PureTalk
    Feedback Score
    duplicate post deleted
    Please run a "SEARCH" before posting your question!

Device(s)
    Moto E815, W766, LG A340, etc...
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, PagePlus Cellular, PureTalk
    Feedback Score
    Hi, people,

Years ago, I learned here that an MVNO (like PagePlus) is simply a RESELLER for the (Verizon) network.
    They buy minutes by the millions and resell those minutes to us, cheaper than we can buy them from Verizon.
    I therefore Thought that the PP service actually USEs the Verizon towers, etc...
    that we users would get the SAME coverage / service as a regular Verizon customer.
    Is that Not the case? Might we get Worse coverage / reception thru PP than thru Verizon?
    Thanks.
    Mark51
    My experience with PagePlus (PP) over about 4 years in a rural area of northern California, is that I seem to have the same coverage and signal strength as Verizon (postpaid) customers. I was using PP at less than 4000 minutes/year, so their $80.00 for 2000 minutes worked fine. I only needed talk and text (TnT), no data. I left PP after discovering than NO CDMA carriers exist in central America - Panama, to be specific.

I went to PureTalk (a GSM MVNO carrier via AT&T) for $10/month, 300 Talk minutes, 300 texts each month. I added a $20.00 "bolus" of minutes to act as a buffer in case I used more than 300 min. per month. These MVNO people can do it for less than the usual suspects because they do not have the bloated staff and advertising budget that other carriers feel are necessary.

Mike
    P.S. I found PP and PureTalk on this forum! Thanks, PEOPLE!

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Yes they use their main carrier's towers so coverage is about the same.

A couple of places where there may be a distinction is that prepaid coverage may not be as extensive as paid coverage.

A couple of mvnos have roaming so if you are in a rural zone, you will atleast have some coverage. Page Plus doesn't.

Speed wise, Verizon was throttling data for their mvnos to 5mbps down and 2 mbps up. They may have recently dropped that policy.

Page Plus does offer roaming.

It's $0.29 per minute on the standard plan and $0.20 per minute on their monthly plans.
    Calls While Roaming $0.29 Per Minute
    Calls While Roaming $0.20 per minute

Red Pocket is available on all 4 carriers, not just Verizon and does not offer roaming on any of them.

Red Pocket's plans are 30 days, not monthly.

You can get their plans on cheaper on eBay for 1 year (360 days) here:
    http://stores.ebay.com/redpocketstore/

Their 1000/1000/1000 plan here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/131593551826 is probably not worth it over the same plan on their website. But sometimes they run them cheaper on sale and their have been eBay coupons you can use too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast