Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Excessive band 2 power levels

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Well, -115 dBm is pretty low, my phone usually switches at -110 dBm on AT&T. A steady -105 to -110 should be fully useable without congestion, as long as the SNR stays above 0.
    Do other phones have the same problems?

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    On Verizon, the threshold seems to be lower. It will go below -110 by a good bit without switching to low band. -105 to -110 is indeed very usable. -115 and below is less so...mostly because the handset can't really be heard by the serving cell.

Sadly, I don't have a different model of handset to try around the area. Luckily there are only a handful of spots that are bad with respect to this problem.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    My phone switches from band 2/4 to 13 at around -120 dBm in some areas, but I don't experience any major issues because of it. I just did a speedtest at -120 and got 41 ms ping, 8.35 down and 0.35 up. Not bad for such a low signal.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    My phone switches from band 2/4 to 13 at around -120 dBm in some areas, but I don't experience any major issues because of it. I just did a speedtest at -120 and got 41 ms ping, 8.35 down and 0.35 up. Not bad for such a low signal.
    I think it would be more acceptable at -120dBm for band 13 for a couple reasons. 1) That's low band spectrum where my phone has a prayer of making the path back to the tower. 2) Band 2 power levels appear to be excessively boosted (as the title of this thread suggests), which means my phone would see -120dBm at a potentially further distance, than would usually be possible for band 2.

So whereas my phone might be capable of pushing a signal back to the serving cell at -120dBm for band 13, at the same distance from the tower on band 2, my phone doesn't stand a chance, regardless of the signal strength that the phone happens to be receiving. That's my current working theory anyway. We'll see what engineering has to say.

Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention that my result at -120 was using band 4. Usually RSRQ and SNR are more important than RSRP.

Got another result using band 2:
    RSRP -118 to -121 dBm
    RSRQ -16 dB
    SNR -1 dB
    Ping 37 ms
    Download 8.93 Mbps
    Upload 0.99 Mbps

Maybe power levels are tuned correctly in my case.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention that my result at -120 was using band 4. Usually RSRQ and SNR are more important than RSRP.

Got another result using band 2:
    RSRP -118 to -121 dBm
    RSRQ -16 dB
    SNR -1 dB
    Ping 37 ms
    Download 8.93 Mbps
    Upload 0.99 Mbps

Maybe power levels are tuned correctly in my case.
    Unless band 13 is completely overloaded, I really can't see why your phone would be holding on to band 2 at that signal level.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    On Verizon, the threshold seems to be lower. It will go below -110 by a good bit without switching to low band. -105 to -110 is indeed very usable. -115 and below is less so...mostly because the handset can't really be heard by the serving cell.

Sadly, I don't have a different model of handset to try around the area. Luckily there are only a handful of spots that are bad with respect to this problem.

If you cycle airplane mode, or power cycle the phone, does it sit on band 13? Or will it switch to band 2 right away?

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you cycle airplane mode, or power cycle the phone, does it sit on band 13? Or will it switch to band 2 right away?

I didn't have a chance to test that. I suspect it would go to 13 on the super close tower.

One update: yesterday I was at another location that is usually problematic, but the problem did not appear. I latched on to the more appropriate closer cell. I hope that means adjustments are being made.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm, Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Meh.

I think this is happening because the site that’s near you, that it isn’t connected to, isn’t upgraded to Band 2. Remember, not all sites are upgraded with all the LTE bands.

I notice this happen to me when I’m moving away from a B2 + B4 + B13 site to a B13 only site. I’ll be right near the B13 only site and still only have 2 bars B2. That’s because it is trying to hold onto the PCS spectrum and isn’t a smooth switchover to B13. This happens with MACRO to Small Cell switch overs too.

This will be solved when Verizon fully deploys their LTE Bands, which will be some time.

Just my thoughts!
    PimeTechnology
    youtube.com/pimetechnology

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pimetech View Post
    Meh.

I think this is happening because the site that’s near you, that it isn’t connected to, isn’t upgraded to Band 2. Remember, not all sites are upgraded with all the LTE bands.

I notice this happen to me when I’m moving away from a B2 + B4 + B13 site to a B13 only site. I’ll be right near the B13 only site and still only have 2 bars B2. That’s because it is trying to hold onto the PCS spectrum and isn’t a smooth switchover to B13. This happens with MACRO to Small Cell switch overs too.

This will be solved when Verizon fully deploys their LTE Bands, which will be some time.

Just my thoughts!
    No, you're totally right that it's the cause. It would be bad, even if things were configured correctly. Indeed, I might park on a distance band 2, when a super close band 13 is available in that case. Your example of 2 bars of band 2 is perfectly acceptable. However, with some of the sites I've seen, you'll end up with 1 bar or no bars at all.

The serving cell controls the threshold for when your phone will decide to look for a "lesser" band to connect to. Sadly, their serving cells are telling the phone that a -116 to -125 signal on band 2 is superior to -80 on band 13. Obviously, that isn't correct. However, the entire situation could be avoided if the serving cell with band 2 weren't blasting it's signal right over a site in the middle clear half way across town.

Feedback Score
    Unless band 13 is completely overloaded, I really can't see why your phone would be holding on to band 2 at that signal level.

If it's still usable as my speed test showed, why not? This way band 13 is kept available for places where bands 2 and 4 don't reach.

OP's case is different from mine because data doesn't work well for him. I'm just saying that -120 dBm is not always unusable and his problem is most likely due to excessive power levels, as he mentioned.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If it's still usable as my speed test showed, why not? This way band 13 is kept available for places where bands 2 and 4 don't reach.

OP's case is different from mine because data doesn't work well for him. I'm just saying that -120 dBm is not always unusable and his problem is most likely due to excessive power levels, as he mentioned.
    I wouldn't want that because it'll drain the battery. Might miss calls too if the network doesn't kick you over to another band.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't want that because it'll drain the battery. Might miss calls too if the network doesn't kick you over to another band.

That's another problem. Even if you get past the barely usable upload, your phone is constantly looking for another eNB to latch onto. Sadly, it's missing the one right under its nose.

Feedback Score

Agree about more battery drain, but disagree about missing calls. To miss a call you need more than a week signal, you need an unusable signal. I was able to hold a VoLTE call at -129 dBm, so -120 is still far from the limit. I'd start worrying about missing calls after -125. But this is for cases when the phone is able to fall back to a stronger band 13 if it needs to. If it can't due to any reason, then you're right, because -120 dBm combined with very poor RSRQ and SNR can be unusable.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    NRB ticket has been closed now, after "making some adjustments" in the areas I reported. I'll get out soon and confirm these changes. One area was already improved as of a week ago Sunday. So I tend to believe they worked on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2