Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Excessive band 2 power levels

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Excessive band 2 power levels

I think it might have been discussed previously, but I can't find the thread(s), so here goes. Has anyone noticed that band 2 power levels are often insanely high compared to other bands? You might be wondering why I would care. Here's why:

If the power level of band 2 (or any other band really) is too high, then phones will not flip to another serving cell when it is closer. That created a situation where you are connected to a serving cell you can download from (in theory), but it can't hear you. Since cellular is always two-way communication, this is Very Bad (tm).

Then you can combine this with another problem: The phone's preference for anything other than band 13. You end up at the situation I observed a couple weeks back. I'm sitting one block away from a band 13 only site with a -115dBm or so signal on band 2 from a location *two sites away*. The phone is basically a paperweight, despite being located right under a perfectly good cell tower.

Solutions Verizon can consider:

1) Carefully monitor band 2 transmit power and in at least two cases I've found locally, it will need to be turned down.
    2) Change the rules the base station equipment imposes on phones about band selection. I shouldn't need signal to get below -116dBm in order for my phone to consider band 13 an acceptable alternative.

Has anyone observed this or a related issue? Any other solutions?

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Feedback Score
    Strange you mention this I notice this on At&t as well. My parents home is a prime example. Over the last two years their serving cell has gone from 2 towns away to a mile away and now probably 4 or 5 miles away. Reviewing cell mapper its apparent the other site should be serving them but its this other serving cell that was turned on this year originally 12 and 17 now 2. Strange. Makes me wish I had a ZTE rooted with LTE discovery you can do band selection its awesome or a mofi 4500 router but alas....ill be interested to see what others see.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    Strange you mention this I notice this on At&t as well. My parents home is a prime example. Over the last two years their serving cell has gone from 2 towns away to a mile away and now probably 4 or 5 miles away. Reviewing cell mapper its apparent the other site should be serving them but its this other serving cell that was turned on this year originally 12 and 17 now 2. Strange. Makes me wish I had a ZTE rooted with LTE discovery you can do band selection its awesome or a mofi 4500 router but alas....ill be interested to see what others see.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
    Yes, if my device were rooted, I could work around this problem with forced band selection. Unfortunately, that's not a good long term fix, if you even have the capability. The two solutions I mentioned (that the carrier would have to implement) are the only solutions I can think of.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray, iPad Pro 10.5 256 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I notice this phenomenon on AT&T as well. It overpowers everything and I’m stuck on PCS alone because it doesn’t aggregate where I live. Luckily, someone at AT&T took notice and changed the parameters a bit where I live but I was stuck at maybe 30 Mbps at home where now I’m seeing anywhere from 70-100 with 30+4+12.

B2+B66+B30+B5 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 5 MHz)
    Minneapolis, MN

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I notice this phenomenon on AT&T as well. It overpowers everything and I’m stuck on PCS alone because it doesn’t aggregate where I live. Luckily, someone at AT&T took notice and changed the parameters a bit where I live but I was stuck at maybe 30 Mbps at home where now I’m seeing anywhere from 70-100 with 30+4+12.
    If I thought I could make it to someone who knew what the heck they were doing, I would certainly complain. Sadly, I think I'm just going to have to pray someone from Verizon happens to notice this happening, and fixes it on their own.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is a major issue on AT&T near me. B2 is so strong that I would often hand right from LTE to HSPA instead of handing over to B12.

That's not an issue on Verizon since B2 is only 5 MHz. The SNR on that narrow channel dips way low before you're ever any real distance from the site on that band so it hands over to B4 usually.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    This is a major issue on AT&T near me. B2 is so strong that I would often hand right from LTE to HSPA instead of handing over to B12.

That's not an issue on Verizon since B2 is only 5 MHz. The SNR on that narrow channel dips way low before you're ever any real distance from the site on that band so it hands over to B4 usually.
    I wish it worked that way here. It's only 5MHz, of course, but it will overpower everything. It only becomes a *major* problem when handing off to a 13-only cell. Good news: There's only one of them. Bad news: It's super close to my house.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 & 7+, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Excessive band 2 power levels

I’ve noticed that on sites here in OKC with 3XCA, Verizon will shove customers over to B2 whenever possible. Their power level must be high here as well. Like others have mentioned on this topic, I too have seen extremely high B2 power levels on AT&T.
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Are you folks using 4 x 4 handsets? I've noticed the SNR and power levels on band 2 to be fenominal lately.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am. And I'm seeing tons of power on 2. That's the whole problem.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I think it might have been discussed previously, but I can't find the thread(s), so here goes. Has anyone noticed that band 2 power levels are often insanely high compared to other bands? You might be wondering why I would care. Here's why:

If the power level of band 2 (or any other band really) is too high, then phones will not flip to another serving cell when it is closer. That created a situation where you are connected to a serving cell you can download from (in theory), but it can't hear you. Since cellular is always two-way communication, this is Very Bad (tm).

Then you can combine this with another problem: The phone's preference for anything other than band 13. You end up at the situation I observed a couple weeks back. I'm sitting one block away from a band 13 only site with a -115dBm or so signal on band 2 from a location *two sites away*. The phone is basically a paperweight, despite being located right under a perfectly good cell tower.

Solutions Verizon can consider:

1) Carefully monitor band 2 transmit power and in at least two cases I've found locally, it will need to be turned down.
    2) Change the rules the base station equipment imposes on phones about band selection. I shouldn't need signal to get below -116dBm in order for my phone to consider band 13 an acceptable alternative.

Has anyone observed this or a related issue? Any other solutions?
    That happens sometimes where I live . I’ll be driving near a small cell and sometimes it will stay on band 2 from a further site .

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    That happens sometimes where I live . I’ll be driving near a small cell and sometimes it will stay on band 2 from a further site .
    I'm pretty sure there's a default power level loaded into the profile in these RRUs. It sounds like sometimes they notice it and manually correct it. Other times we aren't so lucky.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, I have attempted to let Verizon know about the problem with plenty of specifics to help them locate the sites, assuming they try. On the off chance that I actually hear back, I will post a follow up here.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am. And I'm seeing tons of power on 2. That's the whole problem.

Well, -115 dBm is pretty low, my phone usually switches at -110 dBm on AT&T. A steady -105 to -110 should be fully useable without congestion, as long as the SNR stays above 0.
    Do other phones have the same problems?

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Well, I have attempted to let Verizon know about the problem with plenty of specifics to help them locate the sites, assuming they try. On the off chance that I actually hear back, I will post a follow up here.
    Did they file an NRB ticket?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast