Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cricket still the best single line At&t plan???

Feedback Score

Cricket still the best single line At&t plan???

Got a friend getting ready to move from Verizon service to At&t for coverage reasons. Is Cricket still the lowest cost At&t deal for a single line with 5gb??? I've been using the 40 for about 2 years and get it for around $31.00 per month after discount pins. I'm also gonna make sure they have a phone that tethers out of the box.
    Last edited by Fishx65; 01-23-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    not in my opinion. I would go with at&t prepaid (previously gophone) for single line use.
    perks that the $45 tier gives over cricket:

6Gb of data instead of 5
    unthrottled speed
    free tethering/hotspot
    rollover data
    unlimited talk/text and roaming in canada/mexico

Feedback Score
    “Best” will depend on location since Cricket has a smaller coverage area than AT&T and AT&T Prepaid.

If Tethering is mandatory, either AT&T would be a better option since some plans officially include tethering.

Device(s)
    Lumia 830
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    not in my opinion. I would go with at&t prepaid (previously gophone) for single line use.
    perks that the $45 tier gives over cricket:

6Gb of data instead of 5
    unthrottled speed
    free tethering/hotspot
    rollover data
    unlimited talk/text and roaming in canada/mexico
    If those things are important to you.
    For me the Cricket plan is plenty, but I can understand how some will need/want more.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    “Best” will depend on location since Cricket has a smaller coverage area than AT&T and AT&T Prepaid.

If Tethering is mandatory, either AT&T would be a better option since some plans officially include tethering.
    Cricket would have smaller roaming than AT&T postpaid, but they've got the same limited roaming as AT&T Prepaid (a few areas were added last year). The big difference are (as what others have said):

In favor of AT&T Prepaid:
    - Tethering
    - 6GB > 5GB
    - Rollover Data
    - No Throttle

In favor of Cricket:
    - A little cheaper
    - Taxes & fees included (so refills discounted/on sale are even less)
    - VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on select devices
    - Unlimited plan is 8Mbps, while AT&T Prepaid is 3Mbps (like Cricket's Unlimited 2 plan)

Other than those differences, both are pretty close in just about every other way (discounts, overall pricing, Mexico/Canada on some plans, etc.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Cricket would have smaller roaming than AT&T postpaid, but they've got the same limited roaming as AT&T Prepaid (a few areas were added last year). The big difference are (as what others have said):

In favor of AT&T Prepaid:
    - Tethering
    - 6GB > 5GB
    - Rollover Data
    - No Throttle

In favor of Cricket:
    - A little cheaper
    - Taxes & fees included (so refills discounted/on sale are even less)
    - VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on select devices
    - Unlimited plan is 8Mbps, while AT&T Prepaid is 3Mbps (like Cricket's Unlimited 2 plan)

Other than those differences, both are pretty close in just about every other way (discounts, overall pricing, Mexico/Canada on some plans, etc.)
    Autopay puts it at least $10 cheaper. When the 20% comes into play you're looking at $20 a month. Tethering being the only caveat, but the right unlocked phone defeats that. Anyone using less than 5GB is never going to realize full speed. Rollover is great and all, but if you aren't using it, you aren't using it... Footprint would be the only advantage I see.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    Autopay puts it at least $10 cheaper. When the 20% comes into play you're looking at $20 a month. Tethering being the only caveat, but the right unlocked phone defeats that. Anyone using less than 5GB is never going to realize full speed. Rollover is great and all, but if you aren't using it, you aren't using it... Footprint would be the only advantage I see.
    theres a way to get the pricing down with at&t prepaid. you can get 12.7% off a topup, and turn on auto payments for another $5 off, but it is something a person has to stay on top of (to have enough funds on the account for it to pull from the top-up and not from a credit card)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    theres a way to get the pricing down with at&t prepaid. you can get 12.7% off a topup, and turn on auto payments for another $5 off, but it is something a person has to stay on top of (to have enough funds on the account for it to pull from the top-up and not from a credit card)
    I'm not arguing for either. Purely economical is Cricket. If you need the roaming things that is the clincher. Anyone arguing for full speed versus 8Mb on 5-6GB is just being silly. You'll be out of data in under 2 hours regardless. Getting the extra 20% on Cricket can be a hassle too. You could argue ad it up, but is anyone using that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Got a friend getting ready to move from Verizon service to At&t for coverage reasons. Is Cricket still the lowest cost At&t deal for a single line with 5gb??? I've been using the 40 for about 2 years and get it for around $31.00 per month after discount pins. I'm also gonna make sure they have a phone that tethers out of the box.
    StraightTalk is a FAR better value, $45 for 10GB. You can even pick from all 4 networks if you decide to try a better carrier. If you're gonna use a low-priority MVNO like Cricket, then use a service that offers the most data and no throttling. You can actually prepay a whole year of service and it runs around $41/month. Really, don't torture yourself with 3mbit on Cricket.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    I think both are pretty good and with autopay, they both knock $5 off (AT&T Prepaid goes from $45->$40, Cricket goes from $40->$35), so they're pretty close in capabilities, features, and price.

...If you need the roaming things that is the clincher.
    I wanted to clarify, at this point, roaming on the two should be the same - there was awhile where AT&T Prepaid had some very limited roaming and Cricket didn't, but that got added last summer (note the "third party coverage" areas on their maps). AT&T has been ending some agreements (since they'll cover it themselves when they build for FirstNet), so that may pull back a bit for both, but coverage should be virtually the same in the US. Canada/Mexico is on the AT&T Prepaid plan for $45, but not on the Cricket plan for $40, but the other Cricket plans include it, too.

You could argue ad it up, but is anyone using that?
    Haha yeah, I doubt it - a few other threads on here have made it seem not worth the effort - I did a bit of the Cricket Rewards things (games, check-ins) and was earning a bit here and there, but this is a bit more intrusive for less benefit (and doesn't work on my phone anyway).

As for the other AT&T MVNOs, they're excluded from the roaming that AT&T has gotten for the in-house prepaid services, so there's a few spots this would make a difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I think both are pretty good and with autopay, they both knock $5 off (AT&T Prepaid goes from $45->$40, Cricket goes from $40->$35), so they're pretty close in capabilities, features, and price.

I wanted to clarify, at this point, roaming on the two should be the same - there was awhile where AT&T Prepaid had some very limited roaming and Cricket didn't, but that got added last summer (note the "third party coverage" areas on their maps). AT&T has been ending some agreements (since they'll cover it themselves when they build for FirstNet), so that may pull back a bit for both, but coverage should be virtually the same in the US. Canada/Mexico is on the AT&T Prepaid plan for $45, but not on the Cricket plan for $40, but the other Cricket plans include it, too.

Haha yeah, I doubt it - a few other threads on here have made it seem not worth the effort - I did a bit of the Cricket Rewards things (games, check-ins) and was earning a bit here and there, but this is a bit more intrusive for less benefit (and doesn't work on my phone anyway).

As for the other AT&T MVNOs, they're excluded from the roaming that AT&T has gotten for the in-house prepaid services, so there's a few spots this would make a difference.
    I have no knowledge of either roaming agreements. Someone else suggested Cricket didn't have the same, I figured it was correct. I hadn't paid a bill im a long time with the old rewards. Glory days.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like she's gonna go with the Cricket 40 for $31.00 per month after discounts. She really doesn't need any of the perks that At&t Prepaid brings to the table and only uses about 3gb per month. I'm giving her an unlocked Metro Zmax Pro which does tether on Cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like she's gonna go with the Cricket 40 for $31.00 per month after discounts. She really doesn't need any of the perks that At&t Prepaid brings to the table and only uses about 3gb per month. I'm giving her an unlocked Metro Zmax Pro which does tether on Cricket.
    And the discounted refills can be bought at Target? Remind me again. Is it with a red card?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    I have no knowledge of either roaming agreements. Someone else suggested Cricket didn't have the same, I figured it was correct. I hadn't paid a bill im a long time with the old rewards. Glory days.
    Yeah, it was sort of quietly added in - I had to go back and look because I didn't remember exactly when, but it was in May and I think coincided with the switch away from Cricket's old proxy servers: https://www.reddit.com/r/CricketWire...party_roaming/

Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    And the discounted refills can be bought at Target? Remind me again. Is it with a red card?
    Target.com won't charge the E911 and other fees that some areas do (the annoying thing is that Cricket includes taxes and fees already, but many stores charge E911 for all prepaid services), and sometimes there's sales (buy one-get-one-20%). Red Card would knock 5% off at any time and sometimes other credit cards offer deals, too (Target was on Discover's 5% cash back quarter in Oct-Dec). Basically, you can play the discount game here and there and build up a balance to carry you to the next bit of deals.

Best Buy also does an online one where you can get a discounted refill for 20% off if you buy a phone or SIM card (and the old $3.99 SIM cards apply). This used to still get taxes & fees added, but Best Buy recently stopped doing that. I'd advise applying the Best Buy refills on your account when you get them, as there's always a chance that they didn't get activated before shipment (and it's more of a hassle if they're sitting for months un-applied).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    Bestbuy and Target have occasional sales on Cricket Pins. I just loaded up at Bestbuy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast