Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Port validation

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Port validation

Anyone added the passcode for port validation to help alleviate the chance for someone to take the line? Been seeing a lot about it lately I have a regular 4 digit passcode on there now so I'm wondering if someone can still port it out with the ssn.
    Last edited by themanhimself; 01-24-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Feedback Score
    I did this Monday over Twitter with Tforce. Now I can’t access plans in my account on the app or online. Spent hours trying to fix and waiting on a ticket last two days. But T-Mobile did tell me the code was set up properly. Asked me for the code before they would help me. Will do the same if a port request is made.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yea T-Force had me add a 6-digit passcode last week when I reached out to them on Twitter.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    I don't know what this is yet.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You should research it immediately. I started a thread here last week: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...s-from-Hackers

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    There are speculations of people stealing your line... and I said speculation because I do not know, or heard, or seen of anyone actually for this to had happened... so for now you can believe it or is just an added security feature or an urban legend.

This port verification is creating more problems than alleviating it, some account info is not made available if you have it ON... hope Tmo can fix those glitches.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have been seeing reports every single day- inlcuding today- of people who claim to have bank accounts drained from this scam. I would add port validation immediately AND remove the ability to use SMS for 2-factor auth on any accounts you care about (Google, banks, etc.). I removed my cell number from all accounts.

Here was the latest report:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com..._from_my_bank/

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So I'm still trying to fully understand how port validation ultimately works on the T-Mobile side of things. I did contact TForce and have them set it up for me but I'm still a little unlcear. I created a really long new pin (more than 10 digits).

So is that new pin only used for if I port my number out in place of any other pin? Is it in addition to another pin after trying a port? Does T-Mobile use that pin for any other purpose?

Also, when I call customer care one thing they always ask to validate me is last 4 of my social. Since those numbers in themselves aren't really secure (equifax hack, etc..) I wonder if they allow removing that number from an account for any type of validation and be able to use something else.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint3200 View Post
    I have been seeing reports every single day- inlcuding today- of people who claim to have bank accounts drained from this scam. I would add port validation immediately AND remove the ability to use SMS for 2-factor auth on any accounts you care about (Google, banks, etc.). I removed my cell number from all accounts.

Here was the latest report:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com..._from_my_bank/
    Out of curiosity in situations where an account only offers SMS as an option for 2-step verification did you use a different number or remove phone numbers from verification altogether?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seezar View Post
    Out of curiosity in situations where an account only offers SMS as an option for 2-step verification did you use a different number or remove phone numbers from verification altogether?
    Thankfully, my bank accounts do not use SMS 2-factor at all.

One type of account that olny offered SMS 2- factor, I removed that option.

Most accounts I use either Google Prompt or Authenticator app. Plus I made some really strong passwords across the board while I was doing all this anyway.

I'm not an expert, but here is a good read I used for guidance:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com..._from_hackers/

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I have it added now so hopefully it keeps things from getting screwed up.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So I just called customer service and asked about using Social Security number for account validation when calling in (they've used it in the past). i noticed this time when calling in the automated system no longer asked for that, just a pin and I confirmed with a rep they no longer will use SSN for account validation. Very good sign.

Other info she told me is the Port Validation pin is the same pin they use to validate when calling in.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    There are speculations of people stealing your line... and I said speculation because I do not know, or heard, or seen of anyone actually for this to had happened... so for now you can believe it or is just an added security feature or an urban legend.
    Just because you don’t know about it first hand or someone who has been victimized, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.

I was in a corporate store just last week and when I asked the sales rep about it he stated he had two separate customers a few days prior get their number ported out without them knowing till they tried using their phone the next day.

This wreaks of insider participants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Not sure how prevalent it is but it's definitely happening to some people

A friend had it happen on his at&t line so it's not just TMobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seezar View Post
    So I just called customer service and asked about using Social Security number for account validation when calling in (they've used it in the past). i noticed this time when calling in the automated system no longer asked for that, just a pin and I confirmed with a rep they no longer will use SSN for account validation. Very good sign.
    I just called the automation system it still asked for the last four digits of the SSN. So maybe everyone is not switched over to the pin yet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast