Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: Port validation

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    jet has provided good info.

    This hack has nothing to do with what type of phone (flip, samsung, whatever...) The hackers are stealing your phone number itself by porting the number out using a SSN (Which they acquired from Equifax hack or who knows)

    In addition to setting up the Port Validation PIN (do so now even if you don't understand it) , I would remove the cell number from any bank accounts -(not on the phone..on the actual bank account settings).

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    420
    Feedback Score
    0
    At least someone finally said where the numbers are being stolen from. I understand porting out, but the hackers have to get a name and phone number from somewhere. Thank you. It's usually a malicious app or a phone scammer that does this.

    You can't remove phone number from some bank accounts. They refuse. I'm of the opinion that snail mail works, but they want instant contact.

    The owner of the once a year phone has permission to change her account.

    I'm still bothered with the spam calls spoofed from the same local extension I have. I get at least one a day. It gets blocked (no ring)I don't have VM enabled, but some people do put names on their VM. My other half does.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    When I say remove phone from bank accounts I am referring to 2-factor auth.

    My bank doesn't use it, but ones like Wells Fargo have been hit hard.

    I use a work landline where I can as well (for voice 2-factor auth, etc). No texts can be sent to it.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation
    Posts
    9,488
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    At least someone finally said where the numbers are being stolen from. I understand porting out, but the hackers have to get a name and phone number from somewhere. Thank you. It's usually a malicious app or a phone scammer that does this.

    You can't remove phone number from some bank accounts. They refuse. I'm of the opinion that snail mail works, but they want instant contact.

    The owner of the once a year phone has permission to change her account.

    I'm still bothered with the spam calls spoofed from the same local extension I have. I get at least one a day. It gets blocked (no ring)I don't have VM enabled, but some people do put names on their VM. My other half does.
    It’s really important in today’s world to enroll in a credit monitoring service.

    Capitol One offers “Credit Wise” that I use. When I signed up for my T-Mobile account I instantly got an alert that my credit was ran.

    The pay for services are fairly inexpensive.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,913
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    You can't remove phone number from some bank accounts. They refuse.
    As Clint said, you can remove the phone number as an option for verifying your identity or resetting your password. This is most frequently done through sending a text to the phone.

    I'm still bothered with the spam calls spoofed from the same local extension I have. I get at least one a day.
    I've noticed those calls too. Perhaps the scammers figure if you see a number that has the same extension as yours, you're more likely to answer. I don't think there's anything that can be done about that. Since they keep changing the number they call from, blocking doesn't really do any good.

    Regardless, it doesn't have anything to do with the cell company. However, they should work on a way to prevent spoofs in caller ID. Either an accurate number shows up or no number at all.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    328
    Feedback Score
    0
    All this sounds like a train wreck in all honesty. 4 digit Pins , 8 digit passwords for port ....

    So question goes begging, what happens if one forgets their port password ( 6-8 digits ) a few years down the line?

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post

    So question goes begging, what happens if one forgets their port password ( 6-8 digits ) a few years down the line?
    I would hope they would make me go to a store and show proper ID.
    I have my passcode printed and stored in a locked physical location for that scenario.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    182
    Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    All this sounds like a train wreck in all honesty. 4 digit Pins , 8 digit passwords for port ....

    So question goes begging, what happens if one forgets their port password ( 6-8 digits ) a few years down the line?

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    With port validation setup there is no 4 digit PIN any longer. The longer pin for porting is the same pin you'd use when talking to customer service. Think of it as just an account PIN in general.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,913
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    All this sounds like a train wreck in all honesty. 4 digit Pins , 8 digit passwords for port ....
    The real train wreck is having someone port your number away so they can drain your bank account. T-Mobile should be commended for being proactive about this.

    However, you're free to keep your existing PIN if you want to take your chances. They are not requiring you to add the new PIN.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. port to Total wireless, getting 'MEID' number is not valid
    By ButcheeyBoy in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2015, 02:13 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 08:38 AM
  3. Could R520 / WAP problem be Port related?
    By dgorecki in forum Fido
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2001, 02:03 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2001, 09:30 PM
  5. argh pls answer :) time port.
    By Sslithissik in forum Motorola
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2001, 05:05 AM

Bookmarks