Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can someone else confirm Verizon to stop activation of non HD voice devices 7/1/18 ?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slyphoxj View Post
    My sister just got a new Total Wireless branded Samsung Galaxy S7 from Walmart a couple weeks back that originally shipped with Android 6.0.1 but updated to Nougat (7.0.x, August 2017 is the last update on it). VoLTE doesn't seem to be working on hers for some reason (it drops to 1x when placing a call). I have a Verizon branded S7 that I flashed the Unbranded 930U Nougat 7.0.x firmware onto and I've got VoLTE (the firmware on mine is dated January 2018). I also had VoLTE on my S7 when I was running Marshmallow (6.0.1) on it.

My sister and I both use TW.
    My bother ran into that with his Straight Talk S7 that is about 2 years old. I tired my SIM that has VoLTE in his S7, and it had VoLTE. So he called Straight Talk to get VoLTE. Straight Talk told my brother that they don't have VoLTE. He even asked about getting a new SIM, but that was pointless because they said since the phone was working just fine, they will not send one out. So it is pointless to try to get it fixed by support way. He had to use a cheap cell phone that does support VoLTE and SIM swap it into his S7. Then he had VoLTE since doing that. So there is something with the SIM not getting VoLTE, or could it be the phone not receiving the VoLTE setting during setup. I would not know.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    So there is something with the SIM not getting VoLTE, or could it be the phone not receiving the VoLTE setting during setup. I would not know.
    It on Verizon's end. They appear to be enabling VoLTE/HD Voice st activation for some devices.

TW and other TF companies gave no control and no way to enable it. Boom is the only one I know of that can get Verizon to enable it at will. Even then it doesn't work for all devices, a lot of devices with Advanced Calling 1.0 can't get VoLTE on an MVNO.

I registerd a SIM with TW in Dec using a Droid Ultra IMEI (AC1.0). I need to go back and check in the ultra, but I don't get VoLTE with that SIM in my LG G2(AC1.0). It foes get VVM though (and it didn't with the SIM activated last Feb).

I also need to check the SIM in new devices, like a Moto E4 and a Moto G5+.
    They both have SIMs activated long ago and get neither VoLTE or VVM (one last Feb in a Droid Mini(AC2.0), the other over the summer in the G5+).

I expect the Ultra to not get VoLTE since it's Advanced Calling 1.0, but maybe the E4 or G5+ will get it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I don't have any clean IMEI Verizon devices that support Advanced Calling. I think I have a friend with clean Turbo 2, but I have not asked if I could try one of my SIMs in it tho. I know that his Turbo 2 has a microphone or speakerphone issue, but it should not stop testing it.

Edit: I am still confused on why the Straight Talk Galaxy S7 does not get VoLTE with it's SIM, but the same Galaxy S7 with a Galaxy Sky's SIM gets VoLTE, tho.
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 02-20-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Feedback Score
    I don't have any clean IMEI Verizon devices that support Advanced Calling. I think I have a friend with clean Turbo 2, but I have not asked if I could try one of my SIMs in it tho. I know that his Turbo 2 has a microphone or speakerphone issue, but it should not stop testing it.

Edit: I am still confused on why the Straight Talk Galaxy S7 does not get VoLTE with it's SIM, but the same Galaxy S7 with a Galaxy Sky's SIM gets VoLTE, tho.
    Because it depends what features and capabilities are provisioned/enabled on the network for an individual sim when that sim is activated.
    The phone is capable of VoLTE but may or may not be allowed to use it by the provisioning parameters.

These may depend not only on technical capability, but also on what the MVNO has contracted to pay for and on the agreed timetables.
    Last edited by comintel; 02-21-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    These may depend not only on technical capability, but also on what the MVNO has contracted to pay for and on the agreed timetables.
    And perhaps when the SIM is activated.

Need to do some testing to get a clearer picture.

But maybe that S7 was activated before Verizon was enabling VoLTE. But the new SIM was activated after.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    And perhaps when the SIM is activated.

Need to do some testing to get a clearer picture.

But maybe that S7 was activated before Verizon was enabling VoLTE. But the new SIM was activated after.
    My brother finally just told me about an hour or so ago that they did finally did send him a new SIM, and then he activated it. Here is the bad thing. It still did not have VoLTE. That is when he decided to do the SIM swap. So I am still wondering.

I know he has had his S7 for about two years. I am wondering if the Straight Talk/Total Wireless phones made after a point of time can get VoLTE activated, but there is still many questions yet.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Damn, there goes my M800 bag phone on PagePlus!

Any good quality non-smartphones out there that do VoLTE? I'd prefer something rugged.
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    Any good quality non-smartphones out there that do VoLTE? I'd prefer something rugged.
    Kyocera DuraXV LTE

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I know he has had his S7 for about two years. I am wondering if the Straight Talk/Total Wireless phones made after a point of time can get VoLTE activated, but there is still many questions yet.
    Possible that the IMEI is coded in Verizon's database differently based on when it was manufactured/entered. Also maybe some differences/distinction between BYOP and branded devices.

The first devices I recall getting VoLTE were iPhones and the speculation was that they were coded as Verizon pre-paid then repurposed.

With the impending shutdown, Verizon may be defaulting more recent devices to VoLTE enabled.

Feedback Score
    Not wanting a smart phone, and to stick with a flip phone for a while, I just bought an LG Exalt 2 through Walmart, and now wonder how long I'll be able to use it if CDMA is ending in 2020 or earlier. I wanted to keep using my PagePlus plan 2,000 minutes for $80. and a year to use them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zach501 View Post
    Not wanting a smart phone, and to stick with a flip phone for a while, I just bought an LG Exalt 2 through Walmart, and now wonder how long I'll be able to use it if CDMA is ending in 2020 or earlier. I wanted to keep using my PagePlus plan 2,000 minutes for $80. and a year to use them.
    Just don't plan to renew your one-year plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zach501 View Post
    There are Verizon LTE flip phones.
    (Exalt, DuraXV, and Cadence are all available in LTE versions)

The PPC annual plan is a different matter.
    They might add an LTE annual plan and other Pay-Go options or you may have to look elsewhere (Selectel? Boom? Puppy? Red Pocket?)

Feedback Score
    Verizon will shut down the CDMA network (2G and 3G) in 2019, they will be only LTE and presumably 5G.
    This follows the AT&T shutting down their GSM network.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    We haven't heard word one from PPC about their intentions for the Standard Plan with these network changes in mind. I would speculate though and say it'd be highly unusual for VZW to finally announce a hard date for the shutdown of the old networks, then PPC waiting until close to that date and announce to their customers that, sorry, your plans are ending, your balances will now go away, no more Standard Plan, no service for you. Unusual and generating very bad business vibes, but you know, I wouldn't put it past them. It's a bridge that I don't think has ever been encountered in the cell phone business, so it remains to be seen how it'll be dealt with.

Feedback Score

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast