Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77

Thread: Can someone else confirm Verizon to stop activation of non HD voice devices 7/1/18 ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,476
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can someone else confirm Verizon to stop activation of non HD voice devices 7/1/18 ?

    I have this in from two sources from inside of two separate multi platform mvnos. I was told that starting July 1, 2018 Verizon (and by extension, probably its prepaid division and all mvnos) would not be allowed to activate non HD Voice(Volte capable) devices (all 3G cdma and older non Volte capable LTE devices I assume ) . That would include swaps, upgrades, exchanges.So WHAT devices will work ? What is the cutoff? I saw a link to Verizon that said "list of compatible devices" (with HD Voice) but it "no longer exists" .

    I don't think non HD Voice lte and 3g/cdma devices will simply stop working at this point (that's supposed to be Dec 2019 ) but if you have an older phone in a drawer, maybe it's time to make plans to reactivate it before the deadline. I hope to get more news on this as it develops. We'll see. If anyone else has more stuff on it, please post.

    Added: List of HD Voice capable Verizon compatible devices provided by Boom Mobile (couldn't find any other comparable list at the time). https://support.boom.us/153620-HD-Vo...patible-Phones
    Apple iPhone 6
    Apple iPhone 6 Plus
    Apple iPhone 6s
    Apple iPhone 6s Plus
    Apple iPhone 7 CDMA
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus CDMA
    Apple iPhone SE
    BlackBerry PRIV
    Google Pixel
    Google Pixel XL
    HTC 10
    HTC Desire 526
    HTC Desire 530
    HTC One M9
    Kyocera DuraForce PRO
    LG Lancet**
    LG G2
    LG G3
    LG G4
    LG G5
    LG G6
    LG K4 LTE
    LG Nexus 5X
    LG Stylo 2 V
    LG V10
    LG V20
    Huawei Nexus 6P
    Microsoft Lumia 735**
    Motorola Droid Ultra
    Motorola Droid Mini
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    Motorola Droid Maxx 2
    Motorola DROID TURBO
    Motorola DROID TURBO 2
    Motorola Moto Z Play Droid
    Motorola G4**
    Motorola G4 Play XT1609**
    Motorola G5 Plus
    Motorola Nexus 6
    Motorola Moto X Pure Edition
    Samsung Galaxy J3 V
    Samsung Galaxy Core Prime
    Samsung Galaxy J7 V
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    Samsung Galaxy S7**
    Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Samsung Galaxy Note Edge
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    560
    Feedback Score
    0
    So they are going to end the alarm monitoring business, which is heavy based on the older cell tech bands?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes it is true. The shutdown date could end up getting slid, though

    Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    So they are going to end the alarm monitoring business, which is heavy based on the older cell tech bands?
    My guess is that they will leave a small slice of bandwidth running tech to support the legacy IoT/MTM devices and not allow handsets to use it. Alarm monitoring does not require much bandwidth or data use.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    BTW - someone requested external confirmation of the shutdown. Please see this Reddit thread, along with a link to a customer notification.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...etwork_by_the/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,476
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    BTW - someone requested external confirmation of the shutdown. Please see this Reddit thread, along with a link to a customer notification.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...etwork_by_the/
    Slight difference but important. Reddit says must be 4g lte, the announcement I got was no Non hd voice device would work on activation. So maybe some changes there....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    Slight difference but important. Reddit says must be 4g lte, the announcement I got was no Non hd voice device would work on activation. So maybe some changes there....
    I wouldn't read very much into that. They most likely very much mean VoLTE capable when they said "4G LTE capable" for the purpose of this announcement. That particular announcement was sent to a customer using an IoT device, and as such voice is not relevant to them.

    The real question is why would anyone want to activate a device that can only do 1x device, when it is obvious that a shutdown (or at minimum, extreme reduction in service) is right around the corner. There are lots of inexpensive VoLTE capable devices out there. Those are a much better investment.
    Last edited by weskeene; 01-25-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,159
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe this will finally get PPC to state something about their plans for the Standard Plan service, either that they'll fix things to allow newer devices or that they're ending the service (hopefully unlikely).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Maybe this will finally get PPC to state something about their plans for the Standard Plan service, either that they'll fix things to allow newer devices or that they're ending the service (hopefully unlikely).
    PagePlus? What is it about their plan that has you worried?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,159
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    PPC Standard Plan (i.e. PAYGO) has never allowed anything other than 3G devices.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    884
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    PPC Standard Plan (i.e. PAYGO) has never allowed anything other than 3G devices.
    We'll see what they do with this.

    Would be kind of sad if they just end it all together.

    Seeing how the $12 plan now allows LTE devices I figure they'll just allow it.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    573
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I wouldn't read very much into that. They most likely very much mean VoLTE capable when they said "4G LTE capable" for the purpose of this announcement. That particular announcement was sent to a customer using an IoT device, and as such voice is not relevant to them.

    The real question is why would anyone want to activate a device that can only do 1x device, when it is obvious that a shutdown (or at minimum, extreme reduction in service) is right around the corner. There are lots of inexpensive VoLTE capable devices out there. Those are a much better investment.
    I just activated a 3G only Samsung Haven for my blind 84 yr old father. I know it will end since it's not 4G but that phone was one that speaks menus out for him and thus useful for as long as it stays active. I have him on Selectel yearly plan (no longer available) so it is cheap for him. I will need to find an alternative plan when it shuts down. Most flip phones for elderly are 2G/3G. The 4G are newer and more complicated and not easy for elderly to manage.

    Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,476
    Feedback Score
    0
    If everything about the news I got is accurate, then Verizon planned this BADLY. If they had thought it through, there would be more then just two or three VOLTE flip phones (that cost a lot more then 3g devices) for the 20 million Verizon users still on flip phones (like your father). I love the network coverage but the policies they make with phones and devices on different levels is sometimes poorly planned out and reckless for a lot of users. In the end its about money (forcing migration makes for new device sales ) but not every flip phone users wants or needs an Android/Iphone. And not every LTE device out there can be used on Volte or can be upgraded to that standard. If they had a simple list of 1)Volte/HD Voice devices. Good to go. 2)Non Volte/HD voice LTE devices that can be upgraded, here's how. 3)Non Volte LTE devices that can't be upgraded, sorry, join the 3G devices, it would be a LOT easier. But no.. they just send out this kind of info (via mvno channel) and watch the chips fall as they may. A lot of Verizon phone distributors have millions of dollars worth of older new stock of non VOLTE devices still in inventory for example . This will cause some kind of backlash unless clarified... hopefully sooner then later. Anyone with any other news/facts/updates, clarifications via mvno, postpaid, prepaid Verizon on the non volte/non hd voice LTE Verizon device status after July 1, 2018 please post. We'd like to know...yea.. they're gonna probably allow the devices still on there till december 2019 (that's subject to change to I'm sure) but what we need now is clarity on device policies...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    If everything about the news I got is accurate, then Verizon planned this BADLY. If they had thought it through, there would be more then just two or three VOLTE flip phones (that cost a lot more then 3g devices) for the 20 million Verizon users still on flip phones (like your father). I love the network coverage but the policies they make with phones and devices on different levels is sometimes poorly planned out and reckless for a lot of users. In the end its about money (forcing migration makes for new device sales ) but not every flip phone users wants or needs an Android/Iphone. And not every LTE device out there can be used on Volte or can be upgraded to that standard. If they had a simple list of 1)Volte/HD Voice devices. Good to go. 2)Non Volte/HD voice LTE devices that can be upgraded, here's how. 3)Non Volte LTE devices that can't be upgraded, sorry, join the 3G devices, it would be a LOT easier. But no.. they just send out this kind of info (via mvno channel) and watch the chips fall as they may. A lot of Verizon phone distributors have millions of dollars worth of older new stock of non VOLTE devices still in inventory for example . This will cause some kind of backlash unless clarified... hopefully sooner then later. Anyone with any other news/facts/updates, clarifications via mvno, postpaid, prepaid Verizon on the non volte/non hd voice LTE Verizon device status after July 1, 2018 please post. We'd like to know...yea.. they're gonna probably allow the devices still on there till december 2019 (that's subject to change to I'm sure) but what we need now is clarity on device policies...
    Paragraph breaks not withstanding, I think you're freaking out a little too hard. We have no idea what targeted offers they will make to owners who still have non-VoLTE phones at the 11th hour. They aren't stupid, and they won't let a high number of customers end up going to a competitor over this. It's a good move, and it needs to happen. Just be patient. It will all work out.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    If they had thought it through, there would be more then just two or three VOLTE flip phones (that cost a lot more then 3g devices) for the 20 million Verizon users still on flip phones
    Does any other carrier have more than three flip phone models available?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 11:12 AM
  2. HELP, can SOMEONE get my Verizon PDA over to ALLTEL?
    By Goliath27 in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 02:32 PM
  3. Can someone tell me where to find one of these?
    By laserguns in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM
  4. can someone tell me how to keep track of rogers minutes?
    By turbo_slug in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 02:58 AM

Bookmarks