Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can someone else confirm Verizon to stop activation of non HD voice devices 7/1/18 ?

Carrier(s)
    back on US Mobile for the time being
    Feedback Score
    I have an old VZW Alltel slider phone that I was thinking of activating on PagePlus as a backup. It was formerly used with PagePlus so I know it will activate again. Am I correct in assuming that if it activate it now it will continue to work normally until Dec. 2019 at which point it will stop working? (Unless of course that date gets pushed back.)
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I have an old VZW Alltel slider phone that I was thinking of activating on PagePlus as a backup. It was formerly used with PagePlus so I know it will activate again. Am I correct in assuming that if it activate it now it will continue to work normally until Dec. 2019 at which point it will stop working? (Unless of course that date gets pushed back.)
    Correct. No one gets shoved off before shutdown.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Fonezfonz, I follow your line of reasoning but I do think enough of a "heads up" is allowing for people to entertain other options. The recent MVNO migration from postpaid to prepaid was confusing and it didn't go smoothly in some cases but most got through it, including me.

I have no idea what my cell will/will not do but by that time, it might be time to update carrier/phone. Things change quickly in this arena.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    We'll see what they do with this.

Would be kind of sad if they just end it all together.

Seeing how the $12 plan now allows LTE devices I figure they'll just allow it.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I hope so too. Paygo on Verizon is very useful to have for people who don't have a high talk or text requirement. Just wish it could be done on a more contemporary phone.

Sent from my G36 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Saw this thread. Got this from a longtime Cdma mvno source under condition of anonymity. You want confirm beyond this, heck you're a Hofo, you're smart. You'll figure it out. Any how hoo ha.. It goes a little something like this.. This is to remind you/notify you of Verizon Wireless’ intention to maintain CDMA (i.e., 1xRTT and EVDO) service only until December 31, 2019. Starting January 1st, 2020 phone devices must be VoLTE and HD Voice capable to be on the Verizon network.
    To avoid potential impacts and meet this CDMA decommission date, including, without limitation, loss of service, it is necessary that you continue to plan now and complete this critical technology migration before December 31, 2019. You should review your business analytics (i.e., customer lifecycle, churn, etc) and begin to wind down activations and certifications of devices incompatible with Verizon Wireless’ 4G HD Voice and 4G LTE data networks.
    We have received confirmation the below items will be effective July 1, 2018:
     No longer be able to activate any CDMA data only devices, and any non HD/Volte phone devices, including swaps.
    o As a consequence to this change, you will not be able to downgrade an existing device to 4G LTE/3G rate plans or swap to a 4G non HD Voice phone. You will also not be able to downgrade an existing data only device to 3G rate plans or a 3G device.
     Only HD Voice Smartphones and 4G LTE data only Verizon Wireless certified devices may be activated on the Verizon Wireless network. This includes device swaps.
     Only HD Voice Smartphones and 4G LTE data only IMEI uploads will be accepted to the Verizon Wireless Device Management Database (DMD).
    You will however continue to be able to undertake the following to active devices until July 31st, 2019:
     Rate plan and feature changes
     MDN changes
     Apply and restore from Hotline and Suspend status
     Restore de-Activations that were made in error, per Verizon Wireless’ requirements
     SIM changes on existing non HD Voice Smartphones
    Upgrades from CDMA only devices to HD Voice Smartphones and 4G LTE data only devices will continue to be allowed.
    Confirmed Dates/Items:
    o Ultimately new activations will need to support VoLTE and LTE as applicable. However, after December 31, 2019 all 4G devices will need to be VoLTE capable, except for data only devices, these will need to be LTE capable.
    o We cannot guarantee CDMA & 4G LTE phone devices will be supported on the network after December 31, 2019 and request all MDNs are converted to VoLTE capable devices to avoid service impacts.
    As more dates become confirmed, we will communicate those and reach out to you to discuss your migration plans.
    Please feel free to contact your xxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx representative if you need additional information or have further questions.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Or pushed up. With Verizon being somewhat behind what Sprint and T-Mobile are looking to do for 5G, they could try to shut it down early. My guess is this year will see new phones that support 5G, so you could put this on PP and see what will come out later. I've heard that they will stop activating those phones as of the summer.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Well, if MVNOs can only activate VoLTE phones after 7/1/2018, Verizon better start allowing VoLTE to their MVNOs. At this time, the only MVNO officially allowed VoLTE is Boom.

And while I'm ranting, AT&T needs to allow VoLTE for providers other than Cricket!

Feedback Score
    I don't know what the big MVNOs' situation is. But I'm a Verizon MVNO, and I have been able to do VoLTE for several months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andybalholm View Post
    I don't know what the big MVNOs' situation is. But I'm a Verizon MVNO, and I have been able to do VoLTE for several months.
    In other words it was available to all of them but they just could not be bothered.

The attitude of most of them is probably: "Oh no! Not yet more work and programming cost for changes to the web site and accounting systems!"

Exactly what I suspected.

Most of them have no interest in technology, only in counting their money, and would prefer to never make any changes unless forced to by Verizon or by the competition.

Let me guess that all of the roaming and routing combinations and speed cap limits etc...are also all available to any Verizon MVNO (at various cost levels)?
    Last edited by comintel; 02-19-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    I should have mentioned that I was referring to Verizon Androids not getting VoLTE on MVNOs. It seems that the provisioning of iphones allows VoLTE on more MVNOs, now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Well, if MVNOs can only activate VoLTE phones after 7/1/2018, Verizon better start allowing VoLTE to their MVNOs. At this time, the only MVNO officially allowed VoLTE is Boom.
    Xfinity Mobile supports VoLTE

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know that the branded Straight Talk and Total Wireless Android phones are getting VoLTE. Like I said in another thread about this, I have a Straight Talk and Total Wireless phones that have working VoLTE.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), LG Phoenix 2, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I heard Verizon is going to start turning off their 2G/3G CDMA network by the end of 2018. So far in my town (DE SOTO, MO) they have turned off 4 out of 6 CDMA carriers. I know this because I have a SDR RADIO (RTL-SDR).

Sent from my LG-M150 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalisbury0 View Post
    I heard Verizon is going to start turning off their 2G/3G CDMA network by the end of 2018. So far in my town (DE SOTO, MO) they have turned off 4 out of 6 CDMA carriers. I know this because I have a SDR RADIO (RTL-SDR).

Sent from my LG-M150 using HoFo mobile app
    I have not seen or heard anything about any sooner time frame myself, but I know I have heard in a few different stores around where I live that at the end of 2018, Verizon will not fix any CDMA towers if they need fixing. I am not sure how true this is because this info was not from a Verizon person or Verizon store people. I have even asked Verzion in store and even online about that, and they will not say anything if it is true. They only verified that the VoLTE only device activation and the CDMA deactivation dates are right.

I am kinda trying to keep me up to date with these dates since my grandma uses an old Verizon prepaid plan still. I just hope this does not mess up that plan, too.

Device(s)
    Saumsung Galaxy S7, Motorola Moto E (2nd Generation), LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless, Lycamobile, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I know that the branded Straight Talk and Total Wireless Android phones are getting VoLTE. Like I said in another thread about this, I have a Straight Talk and Total Wireless phones that have working VoLTE.
    My sister just got a new Total Wireless branded Samsung Galaxy S7 from Walmart a couple weeks back that originally shipped with Android 6.0.1 but updated to Nougat (7.0.x, August 2017 is the last update on it). VoLTE doesn't seem to be working on hers for some reason (it drops to 1x when placing a call). I have a Verizon branded S7 that I flashed the Unbranded 930U Nougat 7.0.x firmware onto and I've got VoLTE (the firmware on mine is dated January 2018). I also had VoLTE on my S7 when I was running Marshmallow (6.0.1) on it.

My sister and I both use TW.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast