Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Inexpensive Plan for Two Factor Authentication

Feedback Score
    The $3 T Mobile plan does not allow WiFi calling. No international stateside texting from the US to Canada. I doubt the plan allows .10 roaming in Canada.

Feedback Score
    ^I live in Surrey BC which Borders Blaine WA. I have had a T-Mobile Prepaid Sim since 2004. I am not making stuff up, I am telling the OP from personal experience. As matter of Fact my T-Mobile Sim is currently on the $3 plan. Ofcourse I switch plans based on my needs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
    Your Best Bet is to use T-Mobile $3 30 Day Plan which 100% Roams in Canada. However Voice Calling is Expensive with this plan at $1.59 a minute but you are only using it to Receive messages which is 10 cents a message and your $3 will cover 30 messages and every addidtional message is 10c a message. Assuming you need to call the US, in order to avoid the $1.59 charge use T-Mobile wifi calling which will count towards your $3 Plan allotment. The $3 plan includes 30 messages or talk minutes. Not 30 of each however like I said above each additional message or talk minutes is 10c each.

^This setup works 100% in Canada
    Why does https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/simply-prepaid (you have to click "Compare plans" near the bottom) say that there is no coverage while in Canada available for the "Pay As You Go" plan, which is the $3/mo plan?

Please post links showing where you got your information.

Feedback Score
    ^I don't have any links. I only have personal hands on experience. It works like a charm & its working at the moment

Feedback Score
    My $3 pay as you go T Mobile plan did not work in Vancouver. When comparing the T Mobile prepaid plans, the $3 plan indicates no Canadian service and no wifi calling. The $3 plan is the only T Mobile plan without the circles checked.

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/simply-prepaid

Feedback Score
    Here is proof

Sent from my LG-H873 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    ^This is with the $3 Plan. I only change to other plans when needs change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
    ^This is with the $3 Plan. I only change to other plans when needs change.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I guess it would be worth mentioning Piranha Mobile, too, since it also has no fixed balance expiration, and has free incoming SMS while roaming internationally, including Canada, and the initial cost would be quite a bit less than Truphone, at ~$3.50 vs Truphone's $30.

https://www.piranha-mobile.com/index...&product_id=50 indicates that you can get a Piranha SIM for £2.50 (~$3.50), which should be sufficient to receive free SMS to a US # while in Canada.

If you want to have a paygo balance, you can optionally add as little as £10 (~$14).
    I am not sure I would recommend Piranha. But it might work.

$3.32 for shipping + $13.29 for ten pound top up.
    NO way to get SIM without top up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    My $3 pay as you go T Mobile plan did not work in Vancouver. When comparing the T Mobile prepaid plans, the $3 plan indicates no Canadian service and no wifi calling. The $3 plan is the only T Mobile plan without the circles checked.

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/simply-prepaid
    Yes, that's the same link I posted above. Based on the info there, I don't see how the $3/mo T-Mo paygo plan can have service in Canada. IF it really does, T-Mo needs to fix the info on their website!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    I am not sure I would recommend Piranha. But it might work.

$3.32 for shipping + $13.29 for ten pound top up.
    NO way to get SIM without top up.
    But there IS a way to get Piranha SIMs without a top-up at time of purchase.

Did you check the link I posted above? The top-up is now/currently optional.

https://www.piranha-mobile.com/index...&product_id=50
    On receipt and after activation all you have to do is add airtime credit.

All SIM’s come with zero airtime credit, you can purchase airtime credit through your online account.

Delivery is charged at £2.50 per SIM, dispatched worldwide.
    I already have an active Piranha SIM card, but I'm almost thinking of getting 1 or 2 more for ~3.50 or $7. You know, just to add to my pile of stuff that's pretty cheap, that I really don't need, but that there's a miniscule chance that I'll want it someday, but probably won't until it's obsolete. Sigh...

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

But there IS a way to get Piranha SIMs without a top-up at time of purchase.
    Did you check the link I posted above? The top-up is now/currently optional.
    I did not try to click through.

I already have an active Piranha SIM card, but I'm almost thinking of getting 1 or 2 more for ~3.50 or $7. You know, just to add to my pile of stuff that's pretty cheap, that I really don't need, but that there's a miniscule chance that I'll want it someday, but probably won't until it's obsolete. Sigh...
    BUT, if you suddenly decide you need it, and have it, and it works:
    Well, then, that is a wonderful feeling.
    And if it is to help someone else solve their problem/issue,
    then, that is a doubly wonderful feeling.

OR, any excuse to get more stuff.

Feedback Score
    @ryan2 - did you ever resolve this? I'm looking for a similar thing, a cheap solution for receiving 2fa texts while abroad.

From what I can tell:
    1/ Google Voice - works OK for most things, but doesn't work with certain banks because it is VOIP, not a "true" mobile number. This has been widely reported for specific banks like Wells Fargo, Chase, Bank Of America etc.
    2/ Truphone - cannot receive 2fa short code texts (which many banks use). This has been reported elsewhere & is also detailed on their main support page (https://www.truphone.com/support/why...-sms-messages/)
    3/ Pirahna - won't work because it's a foreign SIM, so even tho' it has a US number 2fa short code texts won't go through.

Looks like the T-mobile $3/mo plan seems promising, but does it work?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelingit View Post
    @ryan2 - did you ever resolve this? I'm looking for a similar thing, a cheap solution for international 2fa texts.

From what I can tell:
    1/ Google Voice - works OK for most things, but doesn't work with certain banks (specifically Wells Fargo, Chase -> I need this)
    2/ Truphone - problematic with some 2fa texts, specifically from banks. This has been reported elsewhere.
    3/ Pirahna - won't work because it's a foreign SIM, so even tho' it has a US number 2fa texts can be blocked.

Looks like the T-mobile $3/mo plan seems promising, but does it work?
    I USED to have that problem with my GV # and Chase. The confirmation text would just never arrive. But the system also offered to email a code, which did work. But now, more recently, I AM able to get texts from Chase on my GV #. Have you checked recently? I suppose it could be that different Chase accounts might use different Chase systems, so I can't guarantee that it will now also work for you.

Regarding the T-Mo $3/mo plan, have you verified that it will work in Canada? Although the answer is over a year old, https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/144785 says "Our current Pay-As-You-Go plans are actually for domestic use only."

Another option might be the $10/mo data only plan, which includes a phone # for texting only, in addition to 2GB/mo of LTE data, with unlimited slow data, that will work in the US, Canada, and Mexico. See: https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet
    Last edited by Boz1; 11-06-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    Another option might be the $10/mo data only plan, which includes a phone # for texting only, in addition to 1GB/mo of data that will work in the US, Canada, and Mexico. See: https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet
    It's unlimited data with 2GB/mo LTE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast