Thread: Looking for Inexpensive Plan for Two Factor Authentication

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paaz View Post
    It's unlimited data with 2GB/mo LTE.
    Oops! That was a typo! I'll fix it. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I USED to have that problem with my GV # and Chase. The confirmation text would just never arrive. But the system also offered to email a code, which did work. But now, more recently, I AM able to get texts from Chase on my GV #. Have you checked recently? I suppose it could be that different Chase accounts might use different Chase systems, so I can't guarantee that it will now also work for you.

Regarding the T-Mo $3/mo plan, have you verified that it will work in Canada? Although the answer is over a year old, https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/144785 says "Our current Pay-As-You-Go plans are actually for domestic use only."

Another option might be the $10/mo data only plan, which includes a phone # for texting only, in addition to 2GB/mo of LTE data, with unlimited slow data, that will work in the US, Canada, and Mexico. See: https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet
    Thanks Boz1. Last time I tried GV withChase was a few months ago, so haven’t tried it since. Good to know it’s working now! Wells Fargo is still not, however. The texts never come through.

Regarding the $3/mo deal being used internationally, it’s confusing. I saw the same thread you did, but then I checked the details on the Ultra Mobile website (they now manage the $3/mo plans) and under their FAQ is the following:

https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/?i...Q5RM3G9P617763
    “Does my plan support International Roaming?
    International Roaming is supported on your plan and is charged from money in your PayGo wallet. Rates for international roaming are located at ultramobile.com/paygo”

So it looks like it CAN be used internationally? I was really hoping someone had tried it and could confirm. I actually need it for use in Europe primarily.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelingit View Post
    Thanks Boz1. Last time I tried GV withChase was a few months ago, so haven’t tried it since. Good to know it’s working now! Wells Fargo is still not, however. The texts never come through.

Regarding the $3/mo deal being used internationally, it’s confusing. I saw the same thread you did, but then I checked the details on the Ultra Mobile website (they now manage the $3/mo plans) and under their FAQ is the following:

https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/?i...Q5RM3G9P617763
    “Does my plan support International Roaming?
    International Roaming is supported on your plan and is charged from money in your PayGo wallet. Rates for international roaming are located at ultramobile.com/paygo”

So it looks like it CAN be used internationally? I was really hoping someone had tried it and could confirm. I actually need it for use in Europe primarily.
    Like I said, for Chase, it might depend on the account type. I'm not sure. I closed all my Wells Fargo accounts quite some time ago, so I can't comment on that regarding authentication using a GV #.

Can you actually find T-Mobile paygo international roaming rates at the link provided in the FAQ you quoted, which is ultramobile.com/paygo?

ultramobile.com/international-roaming provides international roaming rates, but nothing I see there indicates whether or not it applies to the T-Mobile $3/mo paygo plan.

The T-Mobile paygo international roaming info provided by T-Mo/Ultra is incomplete and/or confusing, and I'd highly recommend doing more investigating before relying on using it internationally.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Boz1. Last time I tried GV with Chase was a few months ago, so haven’t tried it since. Good to know it’s working now! Wells Fargo is still not, however. The texts never come through.
    Texts from my WF account to GV do not get through, but there is the option of a voice call for 2FA which does get through using the same GV number and forwarding to a cell in the US.

Come to think of it, texts just go to the GV app, are not forwarded to a cell number to avoid duplication. I wonder if WF can tell if it's ultimately going to a cell?

I've not played much with the new voip functionality in GV, nor tried from outside the country, so I can't say whether GV voice calls might work for 2FA from overseas.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sasailor View Post
    Texts from my WF account to GV do not get through, but there is the option of a voice call for 2FA which does get through using the same GV number and forwarding to a cell in the US.

Come to think of it, texts just go to the GV app, are not forwarded to a cell number to avoid duplication. I wonder if WF can tell if it's ultimately going to a cell?

I've not played much with the new voip functionality in GV, nor tried from outside the country, so I can't say whether GV voice calls might work for 2FA from overseas.
    If you're receiving texts in the GV app but they're not being forwarded to a cell #, this is probably a result of the GV settings. I've personally found that to get things right, I have to go to the GV desktop website, then go to "Legacy Google Voice" (click the 3-line menu in the top left, bottom option), and open the settings in that page (gear icon at the top right, then Settings).

GV voice and text work the same outside the US as inside. If you can get a 2FA call (or text) while in the US, you can get it anywhere as long as you have internet.

Feedback Score

The T-Mobile paygo international roaming info provided by T-Mo/Ultra is incomplete and/or confusing, and I'd highly recommend doing more investigating before relying on using it internationally.
    Exactly my dilemma and the reason I asked on here. I was hoping someone who uses the plan could confirm if it works abroad. I also started another thread for that exact purpose (to ask if anyone has used the PayGo plan abroad), but have zero responses. I haven't been able to find any info thro' regular search either. Maybe no-one has tried it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sasailor View Post

I've been using GV internationally for the past 2 years so I have some experience with it. Certain banks just block it and 2fa texts won't come through. Unfortunately the voice calls have issues too in those cases. Wells Fargo is one of the banks that can't use it. Chase didn't work for me either (although it worked for Boz1).
    Other 2fa texts DO work however, so it's not universal.

Generally GV is a pretty good all-around solution, but its limitations are the very reason I'm looking for a cheap US cellphone plan, as backup.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Exactly my dilemma and the reason I asked on here. I was hoping someone who uses the plan could confirm if it works abroad. I also started another thread for that exact purpose (to ask if anyone has used the PayGo plan abroad), but have zero responses. I haven't been able to find any info thro' regular search either. Maybe no-one has tried it?
    This may be a silly question, and may or may not even provide a reliable answer, but have you called T-Mobile or stopped into a company owned T-Mobile store to ask?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 5:54 PM Andres Amarante <[email protected]> wrote:
    —-—-—-— Reply above this line.
    Andres Amarante commented: Hello! Thank you for contacting Ultra Mobile Customer Support, this is Andres and I will be glad to assist you! We hope you are doing great! We are very sorry, but unfortunately, this plan cannot be used outside the United States. In order to use your plan outside the US, it must be a regular plan. We would appreciate your understanding! Have a nice day!

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:37 AM xxxx <[email protected]> wrote:
    I need to verify details of "The PayGo Plan" for $3/month listed at ultramobile.com/paygo. What is the link to the international roaming rates for that plan? Also, how do I add funds for international usage on that plan? Please let me know asap. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 5:54 PM Andres Amarante <[email protected]> wrote:
    Andres Amarante commented: Hello! Thank you for contacting Ultra Mobile Customer Support, this is Andres and I will be glad to assist you! We hope you are doing great! We are very sorry, but unfortunately, this plan cannot be used outside the United States. In order to use your plan outside the US, it must be a regular plan. We would appreciate your understanding! Have a nice day!

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:37 AM xxxx <[email protected]> wrote:
    I need to verify details of "The PayGo Plan" for $3/month listed at ultramobile.com/paygo. What is the link to the international roaming rates for that plan? Also, how do I add funds for international usage on that plan? Please let me know asap. Thank you.
    Thanks Boz1. I've tried twice previously to contact them, but didn't get a response. Likely the $14/mo plan from them will work although I'd hate to spend that much for basically what is just a few texts each quarter.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Boz1. I've tried twice previously to contact them, but didn't get a response. Likely the $14/mo plan from them will work although I'd hate to spend that much for basically what is just a few texts each quarter.
    Here is some more correspondence continuing from their last response. It's pretty poor that they can't provide better info!

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 7:51 AM Andres Amarante <[email protected]> wrote:
    Andres Amarante commented: Hi xxxx! Thank you for getting back to us! Yes, our website says that but, if you want to try, you are free to do it, but, we do not guarantee that this is going to work properly. Have a wonderful day!

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 7:27 PM xxxx <[email protected]> wrote:
    Then why does https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/ say the following? Please reply to let me know.
    "Does my plan support International Roaming?International Roaming is supported on your plan and is charged from money in your PayGo wallet. Rates for international roaming are located at ultramobile.com/paygo."

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I may have lost track of what the question/need is at this point.

But would Ting work for incoming verification texts while you're out of the US?

https://ting.com/outside_usa seems to indicate that incoming texts are free while roaming in most (all?) international locations. I also don't know if I have this info right, but you might be able to keep the Ting line active for $6/mo and use it for incoming texts while roaming internationally for no additional monthly cost. You'll need to verify that, and hopefully someone with Ting experience will correct me if that's not right.

Feedback Score
    Here is some more correspondence continuing from their last response. It's pretty poor that they can't provide better info!

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 7:51 AM Andres Amarante <[email protected]> wrote:
    Andres Amarante commented: Hi xxxx! Thank you for getting back to us! Yes, our website says that but, if you want to try, you are free to do it, but, we do not guarantee that this is going to work properly. Have a wonderful day!

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 7:27 PM xxxx <[email protected]> wrote:
    Then why does https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/ say the following? Please reply to let me know.
    "Does my plan support International Roaming?International Roaming is supported on your plan and is charged from money in your PayGo wallet. Rates for international roaming are located at ultramobile.com/paygo."
    Strangely enough I got a similar reply from UltraMobile today...might work, but maybe not? Not convincing anyway.

“Thank you for contacting Ultra Mobile Customer Support, this is Andres and I will be glad to assist you!

In regard to your query, kindly be informed that we do not have a specific rate while using the roaming feature on PayGo plans. Please note that this plan was not designed to be used outside the US, however, you can try. Make sure to add enough money to your wallet and try to connect to the network once there.

We hope you have a nice day!”

Feedback Score
    I may have lost track of what the question/need is at this point.

But would Ting work for incoming verification texts while you're out of the US?

https://ting.com/outside_usa seems to indicate that incoming texts are free while roaming in most (all?) international locations. I also don't know if I have this info right, but you might be able to keep the Ting line active for $6/mo and use it for incoming texts while roaming internationally for no additional monthly cost. You'll need to verify that, and hopefully someone with Ting experience will correct me if that's not right.
    Yes!! I was actually just looking at that exact plan today. They openly talk about international roaming on the ting website, so it can definitely be used abroad. Plus they do seem to support 2fa shortcodes (according to what I’ve read). This may be my best, inexpensive option. Thank you so much for your help!
    Last edited by wheelingit; 11-11-2019 at 04:20 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3