Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Inexpensive Plan for Two Factor Authentication

Feedback Score

Looking for Inexpensive Plan for Two Factor Authentication

I recently moved from the US to Canada (and plan on moving back in the next 4 months). I changed my primary phone to a Canadian provider and number. My US phone number is still registered with a few US services using Two-Factor Authentication via SMS. At the moment, I am paying t-mobile around $50/month on a prepaid plan to keep the phone number and receive SMS in Canada. Changing these services to use my Canadian phone number is not an option unfortunately.

Since I am only using my US phone for TFA and receive at most 10 SMS/month, I feel like I am overpaying at $5/SMS. Is there a less expensive option for my use case?

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Looking for Inexpensive Plan for Two Factor Authentication

T-Mobile has a $3 a month plan that gives you 30 minutes or texts.

H2O has 200 minutes or Text good for 90 days for $10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agave View Post
    T-Mobile has a $3 a month plan that gives you 30 minutes or texts.

H2O has 200 minutes or Text good for 90 days for $10
    Wait...T-Mobile's $3 a month plan and H2O's $10 paygo plan both include international roaming while in Canada?

Please post a link documenting that.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan2 View Post
    I recently moved from the US to Canada (and plan on moving back in the next 4 months). I changed my primary phone to a Canadian provider and number. My US phone number is still registered with a few US services using Two-Factor Authentication via SMS. At the moment, I am paying t-mobile around $50/month on a prepaid plan to keep the phone number and receive SMS in Canada. Changing these services to use my Canadian phone number is not an option unfortunately.

Since I am only using my US phone for TFA and receive at most 10 SMS/month, I feel like I am overpaying at $5/SMS. Is there a less expensive option for my use case?
    One suggestion might be Ultra Mobile's $19 plan. Ultra monthly plans include unlimited incoming SMS while outside of the US, in addition to a on-time $5 rollover credit to send SMS at $0.05 each, or for calls at $0.25/min, while outside the US. https://www.ultramobile.com/product/19-plan-sim-kit/ .

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.ultramobile.com/international-roaming/
    Use your Ultra Mobile phone while traveling around the globe with our International Roaming feature! All Ultra Mobile subscribers get a one-time International Roaming credit, and pay just $0.25 cents per minute to make and receive calls while roaming internationally, and just $0.05 to send an SMS text message from outside of the US. (Receiving SMS text messages is free while roaming outside the US.) Unused International Roaming balances carry over from month to month and never expire!

Ultra's Ultra Flex plan would cost $12.50/mo if you prepay 4 months and includes the same international roaming features as Ultra's monthly plans. You will have to check with Ultra to see if receiving free SMS while in Canada is automatically included, or if you would have to add a one-time $5 international roaming credit to enable it. https://www.ultramobile.com/flex/ultra-flex-plan/

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.ultramobile.com/flex/features/
    You can use your phone while traveling around the world with our INTL Roaming feature! With UpRoam, you pay just $0.25 per minute to make and receive calls while roaming internationally, and just $0.05 to send an SMS text (receiving SMS text messages is free while roaming outside the US). You can add UpRoam international roaming credits at any time, starting from just $5. Unused credits never expire and are yours to keep month after month!

Feedback Score

Tello (Sprint) offers pay-go rates of $0.01/sms, $0.02/MB, and $0.03/min (same talk/text to Canada). You can top up with one-time credit or buy a monthly plan. They run on Sprint so you'll need a Sprint compatible phone. They also offer WiFi calling (outgoing only).

Other option is Google Voice, which is free and should work with 2FA.

Feedback Score

If you transferred your number to Google Voice then you could receive your texts online and you would not need a plan at all.
    You do have to double check and make sure the service is compatible - I have heard that some provider's codes don't get received reliably.

What about Truphone - I think it has free incoming SMS with no monthly fee. I'm not sure about canadian coverage but I think it's covered. Ask them or post in the Truphone thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Tello (Sprint) offers pay-go rates of $0.01/sms, $0.02/MB, and $0.03/min (same talk/text to Canada). You can top up with one-time credit or buy a monthly plan. They run on Sprint so you'll need a Sprint compatible phone. They also offer WiFi calling (outgoing only).

Other option is Google Voice, which is free and should work with 2FA.
    Please post a link to where you see that Tello offers international roaming while the phone is in Canada. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post

If you transferred your number to Google Voice then you could receive your texts online and you would not need a plan at all.
    You do have to double check and make sure the service is compatible - I have heard that some provider's codes don't get received reliably.

What about Truphone - I think it has free incoming SMS with no monthly fee. I'm not sure about canadian coverage but I think it's covered. Ask them or post in the Truphone thread.
    It might take some research to find out how to activate a GV # while in Canada, but that might be an option. It's correct that some company's systems are antiquated and don't work correctly with a GV #, however, in all cases where I've experienced this, I was able to get the verification code using an email address. I don't know if all companies offer the alternative use of an email address, but the companies I deal with where a verification code sent to a GV # doesn't work, do.

Truphone is a decent suggestion for a $30 investment, and cheaper than the suggestion I made above (UltraFlex, $50 ($12.50*4) for 4 months), not to mention that Truphone's included $15 credit balance could roll over for quite a bit longer than Ultra's 4 months. Even though I forgot that it includes free incoming SMS while in Canada, I do keep a Truphone SIM active for backup, and haven't had any trouble with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    ...What about Truphone - I think it has free incoming SMS with no monthly fee. I'm not sure about canadian coverage but I think it's covered. Ask them or post in the Truphone thread.
    Truphone should work. Incoming texts to your US number are free while in Canada. Everything else except incoming texts are expensive in Canada. There is service in Canada - don't know the carrier(s). My phone went to Canada a few years ago. It received a Welcome to Canada message when it arrived, but we did not use it.

https://www.truphone.com/au/consumer/rate-checker/

Truphone is $30 for the SIM with $15 of service. It is a paygo service. The balance sits there until it is used - no monthly fees. Some paid use is required over a period of time, like 90 or 180 days. Some have reported that they don't enforce the paid use requirement. It requires a carrier unlocked GSM phone. It uses AT&T in the US.

I tried my GV number for TFA. It worked. Don't know how/if that would work in Canada on a phone.

Feedback Score
    I guess it would be worth mentioning Piranha Mobile, too, since it also has no fixed balance expiration, and has free incoming SMS while roaming internationally, including Canada, and the initial cost would be quite a bit less than Truphone, at ~$3.50 vs Truphone's $30.

https://www.piranha-mobile.com/index...&product_id=50 indicates that you can get a Piranha SIM for £2.50 (~$3.50), which should be sufficient to receive free SMS to a US # while in Canada.

If you want to have a paygo balance, you can optionally add as little as £10 (~$14).

Feedback Score
    Many companies consider GV as a VOIP and will not send text messages for validation. I am sure it is worth the trouble to activate in Canada.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Please post a link to where you see that Tello offers international roaming while the phone is in Canada. Thanks!
    No roaming, international calling and texting at pay-go rates.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop; Formerly Truphone, Google Fi, T-Mo Prepaid Gold Reward
    Feedback Score
    Google Voice works for me in most instances; there are a rare failures (which i don't recall off the top of my head). Even if you can't get it to forward to your Canadian number, it's still retrievable via the web.

However Truphone often doesn't work (experienced this earlier this month) and I would not recommend for two-factor authentication. See this support page for more info.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    No roaming, international calling and texting at pay-go rates.
    Lol. Then your reply suggesting Tello wasn't very helpful, was it?

Feedback Score

Your Best Bet is to use T-Mobile $3 30 Day Plan which 100% Roams in Canada. However Voice Calling is Expensive with this plan at $1.79 a minute but you are only using it to Receive messages which is 10 cents a message and your $3 will cover 30 messages and every addidtional message is 10c a message. Assuming you need to call the US, in order to avoid the $1.79 charge use T-Mobile wifi calling which will count towards your $3 Plan allotment. The $3 plan includes 30 messages or talk minutes. Not 30 of each however like I said above each additional message or talk minutes is 10c each.

^This setup works 100% in Canada
    Last edited by jattdesi; 01-30-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Roaming Rate Changed to $1.79 a minute, I had orginally put $1.59

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast