Thread: Bringing back the sidekick

Feedback Score

Bringing back the sidekick

I am curious if a little idea I had might work. It could / would be costly, but maybe worth it in the long run. A lot of people have sidekicks and frankly, it was my first phone. anyways I looked up how the sidekick works. They are completely dependent on back end servers, and the addresses for those servers are hard coded into the sidekick's OS. So what if someone either got the server software that danger used, or reverse engineered it and bought the domain names and IP addresses needed to light these things up again. I think there could STILL be a market for these phones! I know that I'd be willing to pay $20 extra a month to use it. The LX 2009 was the one I had. I remember it wasn't the best camera but it was okay.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    I think the Total Addressable Market (TAM) is pretty much just you. Why would anyone want to return to such an obsolete platform, let alone pay extra for it???

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score
    Nostalgia. There is a whole slough of people who revived q-link for the commodore 64 for nostalgic purposes.

I just don't like it when a device depends on a server backend for its basic functions and the server backend goes away. It could happen to iphones or android phoens some day. It happened to sidekick, it happened to the Palm Pre, it will probably happen to blackberry soon enough. It happened to Tivo series 3 and lower!

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    The far better option is to buy the Motorola Moto Z phone of your choice in preparation for the launch of the official Slide Out QWERTY Keyboard Moto Mod later this winter!

The reason for my recommendation is simple: Danger, the developers of the SideKick/HipTop and its proprietary OS and App Marketplace were bought by Microsoft, who then killed it in favor of a different smartphone platform. In the meantime, one of the founders of Danger, who created the SideKick, ended up at Google and was also involved in the creation of Android as a successor to his original smartphone creation.

A Moto Z of your choice paired up with the Keyboard Mod will be the closest thing to a Sidekick available in 2018. To make it even MORE like the SideKick, you can even purchase the Gamepad Mod to add gaming controls as needed:

Name:  New-Moto-Mods-NoypiGeeks-3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  148.9 KB

The SideKick had its time in the spotlight, but that was a decade ago, and its time is done. But I, for one, am really looking forward to my Moto Z2 Force Edition with Keyboard Mod being the closest thing to a SideKick that's been available since 2012!
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...