Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile vows to use renewable electricity to cover 100% of energy needs

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile vows to use renewable electricity to cover 100% of energy needs

Attachment 156370

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...0-energy-needs

T-Mobile is cleaning up its act, so to speak, signing an agreement for a second wind farm project and promising to use renewable electricity to meet 100% of its energy needs by 2021.

The move to renewable energy is a natural part of doing the right thing by its customers—and it’s smart business, according to T-Mobile CEO and President John Legere. “We expect to cut T-Mobile’s energy costs by around $100 million in the next 15 years thanks to this move,” he said in a press release.

T-Mobile now will have two wind projects set to meet an estimated 60% of its total energy needs nationwide. The operator has finalized a contract for 160 MWs from Infinity Renewables’ Solomon Forks Wind Project in Kansas, with power generation set to begin in early 2019. The Solomon Forks project marks T-Mobile’s second major wind power project; the other major source of wind power is the Red Forks project in Oklahoma, which went online in December.

T-Mobile appears to be the first U.S. carrier to become a member of RE100, joining the likes of Nike, Google, Microsoft and Facebook, as well as Telefonica and VMware. RE100 works with businesses around the world to switch private sector electricity demand to renewables and accelerate the transition to a low carbon economy. T-Mobile will report electricity data annually to RE100, which will report on the “un-carrier’s” progress.

“It’s great to see T-Mobile US shifting to renewables for its power consumption,” said Sam Kimmins, head of RE100 at The Climate Group, in the release. “As a large electricity consumer in the U.S., they can truly transform energy systems by bringing significant renewable capacity online – all of that while delivering real value to their customers.”
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to see them use solar as either backup or primary power for their cell sites.

Sent from my SM-G892U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Solar always sounds like a good idea but I'm not quite sure it's sufficient enough to run something that absolutely needs power 24/7. There are some sites in the western part of the country that use solar panels but it's rare.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    With current technology prob best as backup power. If solar gets better maybe that could change. I worked with a solar energy company a little over a year and in that time there were quite a few issues. Not sure how well solar would do with cell sites

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    “We expect to cut T-Mobile’s energy costs by around $100 million in the next 15 years thanks to this move,”
    Hey John, how many birds do you expect to kill during those 15 years??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Solar always sounds like a good idea but I'm not quite sure it's sufficient enough to run something that absolutely needs power 24/7. There are some sites in the western part of the country that use solar panels but it's rare.
    The pledge to use renewable energy is a pledge to build capacity to generate levels equal to your usage. The actual power will come from the local grid.

Florida Power generates wind energy in Texas which can not be shipped to Florida since the Texas grid for the most is isolated from the eastern and western grids. FPL receives credit for the renewable energy production from the feds and state governments.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    What about a hybrid system with a grid fallback?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    I'd like to see them use solar as either backup or primary power for their cell sites.

Sent from my SM-G892U using HoFo mobile app
    Solar is one of those energy sources that sounds great. Unfortunately we aren't efficient enough at harnessing the energy for it to be truly viable in many applications. I'm sure we'll get there, we're just not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    What about a hybrid system with a grid fallback?
    Ask Germany... It hasn't actually helped them much so far. The problem with renewable energy right now is consistency. Once we figure out a sufficient way to store it and call it on demand, then we'll be good to go!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Deleted oopsie
    Last edited by Harmtan2; 01-29-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Mistake made

Baja California / Baja California Sur / Sinaloa
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    The problem being is that we don't have the infrastructure to carry all these renewable to where they're needed.
    It's nice to hear that T-Mobile is making that commitment to renewables, but T-Mobile also needs to invest in the infrastructure to carry it to were it's needed. We are wasting the potential of renewables if we lack the capacity and the means to deliver it to where it's needed. If we are going to move in this direction then we need to invest in extensive HVDC high capacity networks like China is doing, and already they're investing in UHVDC networks. Another problem is our fragmented, electrical grid broken into three regions which aren't even connected.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    So much hollow virtue signaling. T-Mobile pays for X-Mega Watts of hydro-electric power in Quebec. Then resells it. Then they buy whatever power the local electric utility provides, claiming that they're using the hydro-power they bought in Canada. Total PR ploy, nothing more. The simple fact is that the electricity can't be sorted out by source. It's all commingled.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    So much hollow virtue signaling. T-Mobile pays for X-Mega Watts of hydro-electric power in Quebec. Then resells it. Then they buy whatever power the local electric utility provides, claiming that they're using the hydro-power they bought in Canada. Total PR ploy, nothing more. The simple fact is that the electricity can't be sorted out by source. It's all commingled.
    Exactly right.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmtan2 View Post
    Solar is one of those energy sources that sounds great. Unfortunately we aren't efficient enough at harnessing the energy for it to be truly viable in many applications.
    Even at 100%, there's not much. You can do the math. Energy from the sun per square meter is a known value.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does nothing for me since Wind and Solar energy cause more long term issues on the environment than natural gas. But, T-Mobile wants the young customers that believe in Al Gore's Global Warming Fraud.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast