Thread: Should Sprint Roam To Verizon These Days?

Feedback Score

Should Sprint Roam To Verizon These Days?

I have a business partner who is locked into a Sprint contract for another year or so. Galaxy S8.

In the area we are working, (boondocks) Sprint is quite useless but Verizon is pretty robust.

Preliminary survey says his phone says no signal whatsoever in most places including our office.

What is the status of Sprint roaming to Verizon these days? What should I be expecting to see? Are we just stuck with this until the contract is up?

Long term plan would be to change the same phone over to Total Wireless like mine, if you all think that is the best plan. Seems to work good for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Betulo View Post
    I have a business partner who is locked into a Sprint contract for another year or so. Galaxy S8.

In the area we are working, (boondocks) Sprint is quite useless but Verizon is pretty robust.

Preliminary survey says his phone says no signal whatsoever in most places including our office.

What is the status of Sprint roaming to Verizon these days? What should I be expecting to see? Are we just stuck with this until the contract is up?

Long term plan would be to change the same phone over to Total Wireless like mine, if you all think that is the best plan. Seems to work good for me.
    Sprint still roams onto vzw. Att For LTE. Hopefully some added native coverage in the coming year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    If your business parnter's phone sees any Sprint signal at all (even if useless) it will not roam. The phone has to seen absolutely zero Sprint signal for a set time before it will start looking for any roaming partners. Yes, roaming can really suck. He should definitely look into some type of MVNO per your suggestion.

Feedback Score
    Meanwhile, provided he has the Sprint version of the S8 (or, if not, if he flashes the Sprint rom onto it), it supports wifi calling and beta LTE Calling (the latter if he has good data but poor voice).

Also he can call Sprint and get them to send him a free Magic Box to boost the LTE signal (if there is enough of one to boost), especially if he can put it in a window. If this works well he can do LTE calling over that.

These might help tide him over......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Meanwhile, provided he has the Sprint version of the S8, it supports wifi calling
    Tell me more about this. We have good wifi at the office. Does it work over internet like Republic yet still come out the other end on his Sprint number?

Feedback Score
    Tell me more about this. We have good wifi at the office. Does it work over internet like Republic yet still come out the other end on his Sprint number?
    Yes it does.
    Should work fine unless your wifi blocks it.
    Incoming and outgoing calls are suported..
    Last edited by comintel; 01-31-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    For many years here in Oregon, anytime Sprint became unusable, if Verizon was available our Sprint phone would roam immediately over. Voice and text very reliable. Data roaming on Verizon was always slow. 1x for the longest time, then 3G evdo.

Coinciding with ability to roam 3G evdo, our Sprint phone quit roaming on Verizon except "under duress." In places Sprint has never had signal our Sprint phone would go 5-10 minutes with no service, then find Verizon for 30-60 seconds (no kidding) -- hope you catch it quick, then go back to to no service.

Folks in these forums keep saying this is because of weak and unusable Sprint signal. No chance, not in the places I witnessed this behavior, Sprint never had signal there period -- and still does not.

Anyway, yep, this is the reason I said goodbye to Sprint. I don't require roaming often, but I do expect roaming to work.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Yes it does.
    Should work fine unless your wifi blocks it.
    Incoming and outgoing calls are suported..
    Is there anything that needs to be done in the phone or should it just work?

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    One does need make sure phones roaming option is enabled. How to do that varies a bit by phone. For iPhone under cellular menu.

Dan

Feedback Score
    If he pays off his S8 he can get it unlocked by Sprint and use it on another carrier. The carrier settings will automatically update.

Feedback Score
    He has about 1 year left on contract. Should we just suffer until then or is there a somewhat cost effective way to buy out?

This is why I always do MVNOs and buy old phones with cash money, I do not want to be beholden to this kind of nonsense.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    He has about 1 year left on contract.
    Do you mean equipment installment payments/lease and not when the Samsung S8 was first sold ? I bought my current S7 in early Feb 2017 and there was not contract option then. Sprint hasn't offered service contracts in over a year.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Do you mean equipment installment payments/lease and not when the Samsung S8 was first sold ? I bought my current S7 in early Feb 2017 and there was not contract option then. Sprint hasn't offered service contracts in over a year.
    I don't know the answer to that question.

Do you mean that he is probably not under a contract in the traditional sense but probably just making loan payments on the hardware itself? And could probably be paid off for the balance remaining and be free of Sprint?