Thread: T-Mobile for a newcomer (Canadian)?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile for a newcomer (Canadian)?

Hey there everyone! So I was searching the internet for companies that will give a phone line to a newcomer without much US credit. I used to live in the US some 8 years ago(!) but I cancelled all my cards and accounts when I moved back to Canada and didnt think that I would ever go back. However I couldnt see the future and now I am going back temporarily. So amongst the many things I have to do is get a phone connection. I used to have T-Mobile but I am assuming that I no longer have a credit file in the US.

Now this is where things get interesting. I searched the web and found that Verizon can check a person's Canadian credit file and open a line for them. Can T-Mobile do that too? I have my own phone so I am not looking to buy a phone on contract - just a month to month line. If a deposit is needed that ok *within reason*, I am not willing to deposit $500+ for just a phone line. I travel often so I need the international roaming service.

Any suggestions?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why not get a prepaid ? Many include Canada

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Well I do need the international roaming. I would also like to build a credit file in the US so I prefer billing. :-)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well... If you have a US social... Look it up. Also, give TMo a call to find what your options are

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Well... If you have a US social... Look it up. Also, give TMo a call to find what your options are

I do have a US social. Look what up - I didnt get it. You mean to say just walk into a store and try to activate a line anyway and see how it goes?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    I do have a US social. Look what up - I didnt get it. You mean to say just walk into a store and try to activate a line anyway and see how it goes?
    You are entitled to look up your credit reports once per year from each of the credit bureaus. Here's some information from the Federal Trade Commission. https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-pro...-credit-report
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    You can also go online, order the 3 in 1 SIM kit for $25. If you select the "average credit" button, it should run your credit at that time. You would need a U.S. address for them to ship the SIM card to.

If you pass the credit check, then you can get onto the postpaid plan that has the international roaming.

Feedback Score
    I phone 6 plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    I have T-Mobile postpaid service and I live in Canada... (I don't use it in Canada, only for my US trips, data only). So it should be possible, especially since you actually have a US social security number.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Feedback Score
    I’m told your social never changes so your old one might still work - mine does and I was only a temp resident for 2 years and opened a brand new t mobile account a year after the expiry on my SSN card without any issue and wasn’t required to pay a deposit either and I was adding 3 lines with handsets