Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US Cellular to sell partial 700A licenses for two states to T-Mobile

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

US Cellular to sell partial 700A licenses for two states to T-Mobile

US Cellular to sell partial 700A licenses West Kansas and Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan to T-Mobile. The new licenses cover about half a million people. Map of T-Mobiles 700 Mhz spectrum.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    These areas are generally available for immediate 600 MHz deployment. I guess USCC lowered their expectations of what the 700 MHz was worth. Having 700 in these areas will be good, particularly when you consider that it will be a few years before everyone has a band-71 phone.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That map has a few more details that was pretty good. Well at least I found out where San Juan Islands were;

700 MHz blocks B and C (band 12)

B: Kidder, ND
    C: Kidder, ND
    C: Bismarck, ND
    B: Atascosa, TX
    B: 6 Western Montana counties

Recent and pending 700A licenses

San Juan Islands ( Off shore of Washington State)
    Colorado Valley
    Chaves, NM
    Tenton, ID-WY
    Lincoln, WY
    Western KS
    Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does anybody have any information on when 700 MHz will be turned on in CT?

ETA: never mind. Cellmapper says it is already on, but so far I've only seen Band 2 and Band 4.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Who? View Post
    Does anybody have any information on when 700 MHz will be turned on in CT?

ETA: never mind. Cellmapper says it is already on, but so far I've only seen Band 2 and Band 4.
    Because of its limited capacity, 700 MHz is often held as a "last resort" channel.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you.

I'm on MintSIM, so maybe I have a lower priority.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There's a big chunk of WV has that USCC doesn't cover natively but owns the A Block of 700 MHz maybe if they sold that part to T-Mo they can fill in that gap on I-64.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    These areas are generally available for immediate 600 MHz deployment. I guess USCC lowered their expectations of what the 700 MHz was worth. Having 700 in these areas will be good, particularly when you consider that it will be a few years before everyone has a band-71 phone.
    I would guess USCC also decided that they do not want to expand to cover some of those areas. I'm happy to see this taking place as you said Band 71 phones are going to take years to get to everyone. There are plenty of people that still don't have phones capable of using Band 12.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoul1989 View Post
    There's a big chunk of WV has that USCC doesn't cover natively but owns the A Block of 700 MHz maybe if they sold that part to T-Mo they can fill in that gap on I-64.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using HoFo mobile app
    Well it seems that USM wants to keep doing business in WV since they picked up 600 Mhz state wide in WV. On another board I read someone say that USM isn't using their 700A in Knoxville, TN area where they also picked up 600 Mhz.

T-Mobile has just started building out 600 Mhz in Kansas but they put more of those Band 71 towers there than any other state. It looks like USM maybe reducing service or moving out of West Kansas and Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan since they sold their 700A to T-Mobile. More important USM did not buy any 600 Mhz in West Kansas or the state of Michigan. About the only 600 Mhz USM purchased 600Mhz in Manhattan KS where Kansas State University is located. Check it on USM;s 600 Mhz Map.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    ...... It looks like USM maybe reducing service or moving out of West Kansas and Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan since they sold their 700A to T-Mobile. .....
    I don't understand. What service is USCC reducing in UP and W. Kansas? When I look at their coverage map there, it's all roaming.

Feedback Score
    US Cellular to sell partial 700A licenses West Kansas and Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan to T-Mobile. The new licenses cover about half a million people. Map of T-Mobiles 700 Mhz spectrum.
    That looks like great progress. And that's just a fraction of what the build-out will be in the end, right?

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I don't understand. What service is USCC reducing in UP and W. Kansas? When I look at their coverage map there, it's all roaming.
    My point was USM sold their 700A in West Kansas and Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Just like they moved out of Chicago and sold their spectrum and now just buy roaming in Chicago. Chicago is even USM's HQ. If USM wanted to grown their business they sure wouldn't be selling their 700A spectrum they would be upgrading their service with more spectrum by buying 600 Mhz in those places. USM didn't add spectrum to West Kansas and Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

I don't see a good future growth plan for Cspire in Mississippi either. Their 700A in upper Mississippi that extends into Memphis isn't being used either due partially to a Channel 50 TV station in Memphis. That Ch 50 station is repacking & moving in Phase 1 this year and opening up that 700A band. Cspire has no chance of growing their business into Memphis area where I have family and visit every other year.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    That looks like great progress. And that's just a fraction of what the build-out will be in the end, right?
    No place in the USA is getting more T-Mobile 600 Mhz towers than Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma right now. If you look at this T-Mobile 600 Mhz cell tower map. It sure looks to me like T-Mobile is going after USM's customers in their Mid-West region. Especially after T-Mobile just acquired I-Wireless in Iowa and is starting rolling out 600 Mhz in Nebraska.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-03-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    .......I don't see a good future growth plan for Cspire in Mississippi either. Their 700A in upper Mississippi that extends into Memphis isn't being used either due partially to a Channel 50 TV station in Memphis. That Ch 50 station is repacking & moving in Phase 1 this year and opening up that 700A band. Cspire has no chance of growing their business into Memphis area where I have family and visit every other year.
    If I were one of CSpire's owners right now, I'd be looking for an exit. They only survived this long because their only competition is the duopoly. Since they're in bed with Sprint, you can get their Mississippi rural coverage for free by signing up for Sprint's one-year-for-free plan. Once T-Mobile starts rolling out significant 600 MHz rural coverage, it will all be over.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My point was USM sold their 700A in West Kansas and Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Just like they moved out of Chicago and sold their spectrum and now just buy roaming in Chicago. Chicago is even USM's HQ. If USM wanted to grown their business they sure wouldn't be selling their 700A spectrum they would be upgrading their service with more spectrum by buying 600 Mhz in those places. USM didn't add spectrum to West Kansas and Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

I don't see a good future growth plan for Cspire in Mississippi either. Their 700A in upper Mississippi that extends into Memphis isn't being used either due partially to a Channel 50 TV station in Memphis. That Ch 50 station is repacking & moving in Phase 1 this year and opening up that 700A band. Cspire has no chance of growing their business into Memphis area where I have family and visit every other year.
    I think USCC plans to operate as a roaming resource for the other 4 carriers. That's their future business plan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast