Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US Cellular to sell partial 700A licenses for two states to T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    But it doesn’t add up unless they can sell rural internet access and retain their subsidies from the federal government. Roaming for LTE can’t generate enough revenue, especially when they have large roaming needs themselves. Their last earnings call they didn’t expect any measurable increase in roaming revenue. It has leveled out finally after falling greatly the past years.

Feedback Score
    Not a very good plan, as roaming is no substitute for real coverage, and there will always be pressure on carriers to expand actual coverage to replace roaming "coverage" in order to be more competitive and draw customers.

Look at Sprint. They came up on that recent list of the top 10 most hated companies. I think part of this is because the majority of their "coverage" is actually pretend coverage in roaming territory....little (on Verizon) or no (on "Extended") data, in this era when the average American uses 4gb+ of monthly cell data...

So, once all four larger carriers have completely built out and provided the data coverage that Americans require, none of them will be giving US Cellular even a penny... And I'm sure none would be on the most hated company list at that point either.

Anyway I see US Cellular, then, having as much future as DVD rental, or Saturn and Pontiac auto repair.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    I think USCC plans to operate as a roaming resource for the other 4 carriers. That's their future business plan.
    But, who is going to pay for USM's Roaming on their towers? T-Mobile is deploying a lot of Band 71 in USM's major markets. There is also AT&T , VZ and Sprint that is a lot of competition for a regional company that would have to have spectrum and tower equipment for anyone that buying roaming from them. Selling Roaming to four networks requires extra intrafastructer.

USM just paid $329 Million for primarily 10x10 Mhz of the new 600 Mhz Band 71 spectrum in 5 regions across the country. AT&T, Sprint and VZ aren't going to support Band 71 on their customer phones since they don't own Band 71 spectrum. Deploying that Band 71 in 5 regions is going to cost USM a lot of money. USM just sold T-Mobile 700A spectrum and not Band 71 spectrum that so far only T-Mobile uses.

Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post

Anyway I see US Cellular, then, having as much future as DVD rental, or Saturn and Pontiac auto repair.
    That was so funny I choked on my food.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i live in Mississippi. CSpire isn’t going anywhere. They are much more than a Cell provider. They are laying Fiber everywhere and since it’s home grown you best believe every person that can get it will get it. CSpire will grow in the future.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bxk12 View Post
    i live in Mississippi. CSpire isn’t going anywhere. They are much more than a Cell provider. They are laying Fiber everywhere and since it’s home grown you best believe every person that can get it will get it. CSpire will grow in the future.
    I also live in Mississippi and we had service with Cellular-South/CSpire for 24 years, porting out only when they refused to activate our new Nexus 5X. They are laying fiber and that may be the exit plan. CSpire only works insofar as most Mississippians seldom leave their home state. The problem is that they are totally dependent on roaming outside of Mississippi, south Alabama and a few counties in NW Fla. That roaming is mostly one-way, onto Verizon. Verizon has good service in Mississippi and doesn't need to roam CSpire's coverage. Sprint only roams CSpire in rural parts of the state. It's not economically viable to pay for unlimited one-way roaming. (Although, I would only know for sure if my name was Creekmore.) CSpire seems to waffle on plans to expand their coverage beyond what they and one time they entertained the idea of expanding into S. Louisiana but dropped that idea. They bought Corr Wireless in Alabama but later sold Corr to AT&T. They bought 700 MHz covering much of Alabama and NW Fla and then sold it to T-Mobile. With the 600 MHz auction they signaled their intent to stick close to home, buying only licenses that cover their home turf in Mississippi. I'm sure they'll hold out for years to come but they're swimming against the tide of wireless consolidation.

At the present time, if they can offer plans that compete with AT&T and Verizon, they can do OK. If T-Mobile covers Mississippi with low-band service, they can disrupt the local wireless market, which could be bad news for CSpire.

P.S. You're right insofar as the old-farts are concerned. They'll carry their CSpire service with them to the grave. I'm not so sure about the younger generation. I see them as being much more willing to shop around.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 02-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    But, who is going to pay for USM's Roaming on their towers? T-Mobile is deploying a lot of Band 71 in USM's major markets. There is also AT&T , VZ and Sprint that is a lot of competition for a regional company that would have to have spectrum and tower equipment for anyone that buying roaming from them. Selling Roaming to four networks requires extra intrafastructer.

USM just paid $329 Million for primarily 10x10 Mhz of the new 600 Mhz Band 71 spectrum in 5 regions across the country. AT&T, Sprint and VZ aren't going to support Band 71 on their customer phones since they don't own Band 71 spectrum. Deploying that Band 71 in 5 regions is going to cost USM a lot of money. USM just sold T-Mobile 700A spectrum and not Band 71 spectrum that so far only T-Mobile uses.

That was so funny I choked on my food.
    That's not completely true. The upcoming Galaxy S9 supports B71.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Of course, Samsung is famous for customizing (crippling) their phones to whatever bands and standards the carrier demands. It's possible that the T-Mobile S9 will have band 71 but the Verizon one won't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Of course, Samsung is famous for customizing (crippling) their phones to whatever bands and standards the carrier demands. It's possible that the T-Mobile S9 will have band 71 but the Verizon one won't.
    Just like the S8 the S9 will be the same model no matter where you buy it. It's possible VZW will have it blocked. Sprint has confirmed it will be active.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Only T-Mobile is using Band 71 and I expect AT&T, Sprint and Verizon to sell S9 variants that have disabled Band 71. Also, only Qualcomm chips that has the RF Front end that allows a phone with Qualcomm to connect 700 Mhz antenna to a 600 Mhz signal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Only T-Mobile is using Band 71 and I expect AT&T, Sprint and Verizon to sell S9 variants that have disabled Band 71. Also, only Qualcomm chips that has the RF Front end that allows a phone with Qualcomm to connect 700 Mhz antenna to a 600 Mhz signal.
    Sprint has already confirmed B71 active

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint has already confirmed B71 active

Funny that Sprint doesn't even have the LG V30 or S8 Active the only two Band 71 phones on their website for sale. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/shop?tab=devices&page=1

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

US Cellular to sell partial 700A licenses for two states to T-Mobile

I think T-Mobile should just go ahead and buy US Cellular. Isn’t their headquarters in Chicago, an area they sold off about 5 years ago? Not to mention, T-Mobile has a huge building next door to their headquarters. 🙄
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518154418.903713.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  185.2 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    To buy something, it must first be for sale. I businessman I once knew told me that anything he had was for sale, except his children. The Carson family does not seem similarly inclined.

P.S. Besides, it T-Mobile can get USCC to provide coverage to a bunch of rural markets, why not let them do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    To buy something, it must first be for sale. I businessman I once knew told me that anything he had was for sale, except his children. The Carson family does not seem similarly inclined.

P.S. Besides, it T-Mobile can get USCC to provide coverage to a bunch of rural markets, why not let them do it.
    USCC isn't selling. Your also right. Why waste money on buying when uscc can just provide coverage without buying. Uscc also is Native on Att and Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NashGuy615 View Post
    I think T-Mobile should just go ahead and buy US Cellular. Isn’t their headquarters in Chicago, an area they sold off about 5 years ago? Not to mention, T-Mobile has a huge building next door to their headquarters.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518154418.903713.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  185.2 KB
    Moving out of Chicago was way too expensive and most cost effective to stay there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast