Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No coverage in a building

Feedback Score

No coverage in a building

When I'm in a specific building, I have no reception unless I'm near the entrance. I'm not sure if this issue is due to my phone or my provider. I have a Nexus 5x and Pure Talk USA- which I believe still uses AT&T's towers? In my area, I should have good coverage. Is there anything I can do on my phone to improve the likelihood of getting reception? I like what I pay for my plan but I need my phone to work at all times...

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The issue is not the phone or carrier, the construction materials of the building are to blame. Not much you can do about it. You could have full bars of coverage outside but no coverage inside.

Sent from my SM-P900 using HoFo mobile app
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray, Moto G6 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What market do you live in?

B2+B66+B30+B5 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 5 MHz)
    Minneapolis, MN

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I leave I’m south Florida and I work in the airport. The terminal I work doesn’t have signal and I get the no service unless I go outside. Sprint, T-Mobile have good service indoors, Verizon works but not as fast as T-Mobile... i submitted tickets and used the app to mark the spot but nothing... thinking on switching just so I can use my phone...
    “Let your life mean something. Become an inspiration to others so that they may try to do more and to become more than they are today.”

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No amount of service tickets will correct the issue as airports as well as hospitals limit cell phone coverage indoors out of fear that cellular signals could potentially adversely affect installed electronic instruments. This should be no surprise to anybody.

Feedback Score
    The building is a grocery store. I was able to briefly get bars while being in the middle of the store but then they would disappear. I tried turning airplane mode on and off but that didn't make a difference. I saw a person in the back of the store talking on a flip phone. I'll just ask people if they are able to get reception.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The Nexus 5x isn't known to have the best reception, so that doesn't help.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    This is something you will run into no matter what carrier you are using as unfortunately since no service is 100% there will be spots where indoor coverage is spotty. For example I have a Walmart to the north of me that gets no AT&T service indoors and a Nother Walmart to the south that gets no Verizon.

Mark the spot is a useful tool that can get results however if you are the only one making reports then nothing will happen. If this issue really bothers you that badly your best course of action would be to get as many people as you can to report that location as a problem. You will not see instant results as getting additional cell coverage built will take time but it can happen. It does work as this is the method we used to get service improved in the middle of the town where I grew up. Before the upgrade we had one bar of service along the main road and nothing once you left it and now thanks to the new tower we have great service both indoors and out.

Feedback Score
    When I'm in that building, the top left corner of my phone says emergency calls only. How does that work if the triangle in the right corner that represents my bars is empty?

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    When I'm in that building, the top left corner of my phone says emergency calls only. How does that work if the triangle in the right corner that represents my bars is empty?
    Your phone will attempt to roam if you dial 911 when you see that. As stated above, all carriers have dead spots, especially in big box stores.

If in your shoes, I would get a cheap unlocked Motorola phone & see if it helps. (Motorola is known for having state of the art radios) If that doesn't help, you will need to switch grocery stores or experiment with a different provider.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    The issue is not the phone or carrier, the construction materials of the building are to blame. Not much you can do about it. You could have full bars of coverage outside but no coverage inside.

How do you know it's the construction material of the building? Do you know the specific building the OP is referring to and the fact that no other carrier has a site nearby that does provide signal in said building?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S8, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No amount of service tickets will correct the issue as airports as well as hospitals limit cell phone coverage indoors out of fear that cellular signals could potentially adversely affect installed electronic instruments. This should be no surprise to anybody.
    This is untrue these days. Many airports and hospitals actually have DAS systems installed in order to improve service/reception for their patients and customers.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    This is untrue these days. Many airports and hospitals actually have DAS systems installed in order to improve service/reception for their patients and customers.

I actually went to an steakhouse yesterday in Downtown Detroit, found to have no AT&T signal inside, but my friends Verizon had 3-4 bars. I have noticed there is a lot of times that I will go inside buildings and AT&T will not work but Verizon does in the Michigan market. I also have seen where both don't work at all. I don't know if its just this market or Verizon just does a better job at that? I still love AT&T service, I just wish the in building would be better. A customer of mine recently told me in the new Little Caesars arena in Detroit that AT&T didn't work at all in it, but XFINITY mobile did which uses Verizon.. or maybe They have WiFi all over the stadium for Comcast? I am bringing up this point because wouldn't any major carriers try to install DAS systems in a new build before its up and running?

As to the OP, in these situations I have usually just come to accepting the outcome, and if anything changes in that area later on its just having "good luck" in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoDough View Post
    You have been trying for 5 years to work for AT&T? Are you retarded?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Yep!!!! The building I work in is constructed in metal. 3 to 4 bars of signal outside, 1 to 2 bars by the window to no service once you get away from a window.
    Hartford, CT Area

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    Not in my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast