Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No coverage in a building

Feedback Score
    Update, even though no bars were shown on my phone, I was still able to make a phone call. I should have tried that out before making this thread. Out of curiosity though, is there a good way to know what phones have a good reception?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    This is untrue these days. Many airports and hospitals actually have DAS systems installed in order to improve service/reception for their patients and customers.
    That’s true! There is a T-Mobile antenna or repeater very close to the airport that it’s not in the path of the planes...
    “Let your life mean something. Become an inspiration to others so that they may try to do more and to become more than they are today.”

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    When I'm in that building, the top left corner of my phone says emergency calls only. How does that work if the triangle in the right corner that represents my bars is empty?
    This depends on the make and model of the phone. Some (e.g. my Samsung) will show the signal strength of an emergency-only signal. Other's, like your Nexus, don't until you dial 911 (or 112).

Yours is sort of a "man-bites-dog" story. I've seen many complaints from T-Mobile customers who can't get service inside a specific building, while AT&T customers are chatting merrily away. It's a bit unusual to see the situation reversed. As a T-Mobile customer in a market where they don't have low-band, I frequently log onto the store's WiFi (e.g. Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot) as I walk into the door. This allows me to maintain service after cellular signal is lost.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly, the "emergency calls only" didn't always show up despite having a clear signal strength triangle. Maybe I had such a weak signal that it wouldn't be represented as a white pixel in the triangle? Anyways, next time I see the "emergency calls only" come up, I'll try to call someone and see what happens. If someone tries to call me when "emergency calls only" is showing, will they be able to leave me a voice mail?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is likely market specific. Location of towers. Does ATT have low band? As great as Verizon was for me for 1 1/2 years, they were not good for me where I sat in my workplace. ATT only has 1-2 bars, but it is consistent and usable for data. T-Mobile, when I had it on my iPad, was usable there too (and even without B12 in my market).
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    This is untrue these days. Many airports and hospitals actually have DAS systems installed in order to improve service/reception for their patients and customers.
    Actually it is to improve service for the workers, doctors, nurses, who rely on cell phones while in the hospital.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    When I'm in a specific building, I have no reception unless I'm near the entrance. I'm not sure if this issue is due to my phone or my provider. I have a Nexus 5x and Pure Talk USA- which I believe still uses AT&T's towers? In my area, I should have good coverage. Is there anything I can do on my phone to improve the likelihood of getting reception? I like what I pay for my plan but I need my phone to work at all times...

Thanks!
    This is pretty typical of ATT in every market. Poor tower spacing, poor spectrum allocation, and heavy reliance on legacy UMTS coverage. They got a hefty government handout (firstnet) so now they are at least legally required to build better coverage. Don't expect any improvements for at least 3 years. ATT is busy throttling everyone just to keep speeds up.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    This is pretty typical of ATT in every market. Poor tower spacing, poor spectrum allocation, and heavy reliance on legacy UMTS coverage. They got a hefty government handout (firstnet) so now they are at least legally required to build better coverage. Don't expect any improvements for at least 3 years. ATT is busy throttling everyone just to keep speeds up.
    I must disagree with this. I live in Florida while traveling extensively and have rarely experienced this. I typically had excellent reception indoors, even in my local hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) or in Sam's Club when I was using At&t. This was well before Firstnet even existed, so don't assume your experience and opinion is the same everywhere for everybody. I don't recall ever having my data throttled, so your assumptions are just that.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    ATT is busy throttling everyone just to keep speeds up.
    AT&T hasn't even implemented the 10GB cap on hotspot yet and doesn't deprioritize prepaid behind postpaid. Plus on AT&T you can turn stream saver off without having to pay anything extra. Verizon on the other hand has a 15GB hard cap on hotspt, deprioritizes prepaid behind postpaid, throttles everyone's video and makes you pay $10/mo to remove the video throttle.

Feedback Score
    They got a hefty government handout (firstnet)
    Nah, AT&T is spending far more than it is receiving to build out the network according to the firstnet requirements. They are getting $6.5B but it will cost them $40B to meet the requirements of the contract.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    This is pretty typical of ATT in every market. Poor tower spacing, poor spectrum allocation, and heavy reliance on legacy UMTS coverage. . . . . ATT is busy throttling everyone just to keep speeds up.
    Not true at all anywhere near here. I actually dumped Verizon because ATT's signal just works better here. ATT rocks even on the one of their lowest tier MVNO's (Red Pocket). Would never consider switching back to a Verizon signal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is so much false in this post, I don’t even know where to begin. Obvious troll post.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It honestly amazes me how defensive people get over there choice of cellular provider. With all of them there are places where they shine and places where they suck. There are going to be locations where each company has excellent service and others where they fail. Lastly as previously stated before there are locations where each carrier has great indoor coverage and others where it is absolutely nonexistent.

Why people around here feel that they have to defend their choice of provider as if they are gods that can do no wrong is truly beyond me.

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post
    It honestly amazes me how defensive people get over there choice of cellular provider. With all of them there are places where they shine and places where they suck. There are going to be locations where each company has excellent service and others where they fail. Lastly as previously stated before there are locations where each carrier has great indoor coverage and others where it is absolutely nonexistent.

Why people around here feel that they have to defend their choice of provider as if they are gods that can do no wrong is truly beyond me.
    That's why I always say get what works and forget about the rest. I usually have two carriers so if one has a temp issue the other usually gives me at least basic service. With prepaid options that's more feasible price wise.

If someone dislikes me or wants to convince me I'm missing out because I have TMobile or Verizon or att etc, that's their problem not mine

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Problem is when some members make garbage comments without any real facts and the information needs to be debunked. I am not blaming anybody in particular.
    Last edited by veriztd; 02-14-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast