Thread: Verizon iPhone BOGO questions

Carrier(s)
    Verizon postpaid
    Feedback Score

Verizon iPhone BOGO questions

Since I have two family members with aging iPhones, I'm interested in Verizon's current BOGO deal. I've read the fine print that appears on the Verizon site when clicking the little "i" next to the deal, and I'm hoping the community can verify a few things for me. To summarize, I know that I need to activate one of the new phones on a new line and that the bill credits are applied to the new line over 24 months. I also have to trade in an old phone (one of the models listed for the deal) to get the credits.

Here's my situation:
    1. I have five lines on my NVUDP (Feb 2017 Unlimited).
    2. I have no device payment plans on my account.
    3. Lines 1 and 2 are M2M (month-to-month, no 2-year contract).
    4. Lines 3, 4, and 5 have 2-year contracts that will mature later this year.
    5. I have an inactive phone that meets the trade-in criteria.
    6. The phones I want to upgrade are on Line 2 (M2M) and Line 4 (2y contract).
    7. Although activating a new line is a requirement for the promotion, I don't want to maintain an extra (6th) line for any longer than necessary.

To get the deal (and get back down to 5 lines), I plan to do the following:
    1. Put the first new phone on Line 2 as an equipment upgrade, tying the non-discounted DPP to that line.
    2. Put the second new phone on a new line [Line 6], which will also have a DPP and will receive the bill credits.
    3. Activate the first new phone on Line 2 and the second new phone on Line 6 using the pre-installed SIM cards.
    4. After activating Line 6, swap SIMs between Line 4 and Line 6 so that the new phone is on Line 4.
    5. Terminate Line 1 by porting the number from Line 1 to Google Voice (or a throw-away prepaid mobile account).
    6. Port a new number (or bring the number that was on Line 1 back) to Line 6 (I don't want to keep the new number assigned by Verizon).

Here are my questions:
    1. Is there a minimum time I must keep all six lines active in order to keep the deal? The fine print says "lines must be active for 60 days", but I don't know if that applies only to Line 2 and Line 6 (the lines associated with the new DPPs) or to all lines on my account. Specifically, can I port away Line 1 the day after taking the deal, or do I have to wait 60 days?
    2. If I keep Line 6 active on my current account but change the telephone number (i.e., port in a new number to it), will the bill credits continue to be applied?
    3. Am I correct that moving devices to different lines (i.e., swapping SIMs between phones that are all on the same account) will have no impact on the bill credits?

I think that's it. I just want to make sure that my plans (even if unnecessarily complicated) don't put that "free phone" at risk of no longer being "free".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisamo View Post
    Is there a minimum time I must keep all six lines active in order to keep the deal? The fine print says "lines must be active for 60 days"
    For sure L2 and L6 must be kept active until the bill credits show up and L6 must be kept active for 24 months to get all of the bill credits.

applies only to Line 2 and Line 6 (the lines associated with the new DPPs) or to all lines on my account.
    L2 and L6 must be kept active until the bill credits show up. L6 must be kept active for 24 months to get all of the bill credits.

Specifically, can I port away Line 1 the day after taking the deal
    Yes if Verizon runs this BOGOF like all of the others in the past.

or do I have to wait 60 days?
    No if Verizon runs this BOGOF like all of the others in the past.

If I keep Line 6 active on my current account but change the telephone number (i.e., port in a new number to it), will the bill credits continue to be applied?
    As long as you wait to change the phone number until after the bill credits show up on the bill, yes.

Am I correct that moving devices to different lines (i.e., swapping SIMs between phones that are all on the same account) will have no impact on the bill credits?
    Yes you are. You don't even have to keep the phones on the same account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    As long as you wait to change the phone number until after the bill credits show up on the bill, yes.
    So he could port out Line 1 and, after the bill credits for Line 6 start showing up, port Line 1's number back on top of Line 6 and still keep the bill credits?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
    So he could port out Line 1 and, after the bill credits for Line 6 start showing up, port Line 1's number back on top of Line 6 and still keep the bill credits?

Thanks!
    That has always worked in the past BOGOFs. It is $20 to port out to Google Voice and free to port back into Verizon by calling 1-866-881-7165. Not all phone numbers are eligible for port out to GV.

The port to GV takes exactly 24 hours so you should initiate the port out at least 2 days prior to the end of your billing cycle so that you don't get charged for the next billing cycle.