Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint says they will beat T-Mobile to Nation Wide 5G

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I guess if "nationwide" means one spot in the Bay Area and one in DC, it might be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJoe View Post
    Yes, no idea why they use this term.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Maybe if they put a tower in Seattle, and one in Key West, they can call themselves "nationwide". From sea to shining sea, right?
    T-Mobile claimed it had a Nationwide 4G, LTE network as well even before B12 deployment.

Of course it’s much better now but I can remember driving from RI to FL thinking what a bunch of crap.

They all do it I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    T-Mobile claimed it had a Nationwide 4G, LTE network as well even before B12 deployment.

Of course it’s much better now but I can remember driving from RI to FL thinking what a bunch of crap.

They all do it I guess.

Good point, but T-Mobile is now a lot closer to nationwide coverage (of any "G") than Sprint is.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With the amount Sprint has diddled around and failed to execute with mid-band, and the sheer quantity of 2.5GHz spectrum they own which would be pretty slick for high-speed data, it would be inexcusable if they didn't beat a few others to 5G.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post
    With the amount Sprint has diddled around and failed to execute with mid-band, and the sheer quantity of 2.5GHz spectrum they own which would be pretty slick for high-speed data, it would be inexcusable if they didn't beat a few others to 5G.
    Sprint has always had a tremendous game plan. Unfortunately they have always fumbled.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well it is on now between Sprint's CTO John Saw challenging T-Mobile's CTO Neville Ray for launch of the first "40 Mhz" of 5G. Looks like John Shaw is throwing out the bet with some stipulations like "40 Mhz" and it looks like one tower of 5G qualifies. Since Sprint has more sub 24 Ghz spectrum than AT&T, Verizon, USM and Cspire combined they could light up one tower of 40 Mhz to 5G without missing any used spectrum. However there are no customers of any network that have 5G capable phones only Sprint could waste spectrum to win a bet.

https://twitter.com/SprintCTO/status/960187280559308801

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Sprint has always had a tremendous game plan. Unfortunately they have always fumbled.
    More like they had a great game plan, but did not have the money to pay for players (infrastructure) to execute it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    More like they had a great game plan, but did not have the money to pay for players (infrastructure) to execute it.
    It's like the Detroit Lions: "They're rebuilding this year."
    "Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property." - Milton Friedman.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When Verizon shuts their CDMA network down, Sprint customer will feel the pain of having no service in some buildings and most rural areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Just like they were going to have every tower upgraded to LTE by the end of 2014?

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app
    Right! A cell site near my moms house was upgraded as a part of NV in early 2012 for 3G and it still doesn’t have lte six years later.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NashGuy615 View Post
    When Verizon shuts their CDMA network down, Sprint customer will feel the pain of having no service in some buildings and most rural areas.
    ... And no service in most cities and towns, as well as rural areas.

Sprint is already this way on data; the loss also of Verizon text and voice data roaming is what is described above.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NashGuy615 View Post
    I predict that the FCC will extend their "fair roaming" mandate to VoLTE. They can't allow the big carriers avoid their responsibility just by shutting down 2G/3G.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I predict that the FCC will extend their "fair roaming" mandate to VoLTE. They can't allow the big carriers avoid their responsibility just by shutting down 2G/3G.
    That will be interesting to see. Avoiding responsiblity ? This might be more of a contract. If Sprint wants to use VZW or other, it should negotiate a contract. Carriers have known 2g/3g sunset dates for a long time on agreed to service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Right! A cell site near my moms house was upgraded as a part of NV in early 2012 for 3G and it still doesn’t have lte six years later.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    They went like gang busters when they were installing the new base stations and radio heads. Then it just all but fizzled. Where I spend the majority of my time in the summer they just (2017) fired up LTE. The bad thing is there is no B26 or B41 deployed and is B25 only. It was that one location that was the deciding factor in leaving them after many years.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Fake News

What I would call most promises or future plans touted by Sprint.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint already has a nationwide AT&T LTE roaming agreement. My assumption is they may ink out a VoLTE agreement with them and ditch Verizon altogether when CDMA is shut off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast