Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Off topic home internet speeds

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Off topic home internet speeds

First off let me say I know this isn’t the right forum but I looked in the bundled media/internet tab and saw not one post so I figured it was a waste to post it there.

I was just curious what home internet speeds people have here.

I recently upgraded from Comcast’s blast 200 down 10 up plan and it was rock solid. Regardless of time of day I always ran the same speed test result. 220 down and 12 up. I got their new gigabit plan (1000 down and 35 up) because it was only like 12 more bucks a month. The gigabit plan fluctuates greatly. Speed tests very from 500 to 950 down just seconds apart.

Like 5 people, including the Comcast rep that came out to adjust the signal strength, asked what the hell did I need with a gigabit connection. Well to be honest I don’t. I was very happy with the blast download speeds of 200 but that slow upload really sucks. Between a Skype conference call, connecting to work through the server, and calls through the LTE network extender that 10 Mbps upload gets eaten up real quick so the only reason I upgraded was for the faster upload speeds of 35 Mbps.

So my question is more out of curiosity is what speeds do you all have and would you upgrade if you had the option or are you happy with what you have.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Gig fiber here st $70/month. 10 gig available for $300. I have no need for that.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Off topic home internet speeds

Good topic to start.

At our main house, we subscribe to Cox’s Ultimate tier, which advertises 300 Mbps DL, 30 UL. On average, I get about 450 Mbps DL, 32 UL.

At our lake house, we subscribe to a smaller company called Vyve Broadband. We’re on their 25 Mbps DL, 3 Mbps UL tier.

To answer your question, I’m happy with what I have now. Still waiting for ATT Fiber to make it to our neighborhood at the main house, though. That will make my experience even better!

@ the lake this weekend, and here’s what I’m getting: Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1517719322.713409.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  26.3 KB
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If they didn't have the pesky 1 TB cap I'd get their "gigabit" tier. But since it is capped I go with whatever I can get the best promo price on. Currently on Blast for $40 a month for a year. If anyone offered gigabit fiber here I'd be on that in a heartbeat.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    If they didn't have the pesky 1 TB cap I'd get their "gigabit" tier. But since it is capped I go with whatever I can get the best promo price on. Currently on Blast for $40 a month for a year. If anyone offered gigabit fiber here I'd be on that in a heartbeat.
    Thankfully Verizon doesn’t have the cap here but their prices are crap.

My 60.00 blast promo ended causing the bill to go to 97.99 for Internet only. They then offered me gigabit internet with TV for 135 a month and as expected that 135 is actually 157. Their billing department is a nightmare so I have to try to call and get it fixed as expected.

My complex is completely surrounded by fios (I literally drive over the underground cAble when I pull into my complex but they don’t serve us yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Good topic to start.

At our main house, we subscribe to Cox’s Ultimate tier, which advertises 300 Mbps DL, 30 UL. On average, I get about 450 Mbps DL, 32 UL.

At our lake house, we subscribe to a smaller company called Vyve Broadband. We’re on their 25 Mbps DL, 3 Mbps UL tier.

To answer your question, I’m happy with what I have now. Still waiting for ATT Fiber to make it to our neighborhood at the main house, though. That will make my experience even better!

@ the lake this weekend, and here’s what I’m getting: Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1517719322.713409.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  26.3 KB
    I would take that ultimate tier in a heartbeat.

I think Comcast here is purposeful keeping the upload speeds at all their other plans at 10 or lower as a leverage point to get people on gigabit.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Gig fiber here st $70/month. 10 gig available for $300. I have no need for that.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app
    70.00. Must be nice. Time to start the jealous name calling. Hahaha.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    100/10 on a local cable co. The BEST can be gotten where I live. Or 1.5mb ATT DSL lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I would take that ultimate tier in a heartbeat.

I think Comcast here is purposeful keeping the upload speeds at all their other plans at 10 or lower as a leverage point to get people on gigabit.
    10 Mbps Upload... all I can say is wow, that’s insane. I’d probably be fine with 20 Mbps Upload, but Cox abandoned their 200/20 offering.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have FIOS 50/50 and am perfectly happy with those speeds. On 5 ghz Wi-Fi, I usually get 65+mbps down and usually 50+mbps up. One of the many reasons why I prefer FIOS over cable.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    10 Mbps Upload... all I can say is wow, that’s insane. I’d probably be fine with 20 Mbps Upload, but Cox abandoned their 200/20 offering.
    Yup. All plans here cap at crappy 10 Mbps. Then they pull out the gigabit card and say. Upgrade to gigabit and we will give you 35 Mbps upload.

That why people in my area that don’t have fios get gigabit from Comcast. I hear a lot of rumors saying that once they get the docsis 3.1 upstream going they are going to bump it up to 100.

Most people now a days have some type of WiFi camera in their house and those things just eat up your upload speed.

I have one in my kids room so without doing anything my 10 Mbps upload is now cut to 7 or so cause of the camera.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I have FIOS 50/50 and am perfectly happy with those speeds. On 5 ghz Wi-Fi, I usually get 65+mbps down and usually 50+mbps up. One of the many reasons why I prefer FIOS over cable.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    50/50 is a solid speed. My inlaws have FIOS 75/75 and I love it when I visit. They have constantly low ping times which makes internet very good.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yup. All plans here cap at crappy 10 Mbps. Then they pull out the gigabit card and say. Upgrade to gigabit and we will give you 35 Mbps upload.

That why people in my area that don’t have fios get gigabit from Comcast. I hear a lot of rumors saying that once they get the docsis 3.1 upstream going they are going to bump it up to 100.

Most people now a days have some type of WiFi camera in their house and those things just eat up your upload speed.

I have one in my kids room so without doing anything my 10 Mbps upload is now cut to 7 or so cause of the camera.
    I think Cox's DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit offering is 35 Mbps upload too. Unfortunately, it's not available here yet for some odd reason. But on the bright side, the main Cox node for our neighborhood is in our backyard. So the latency is minimal, and speeds always run well above what is advertised.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1517773406.297953.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  44.3 KB

I’ve got AT&T Fiber 1000/1000 tier for $60 a month, no caps.

Tests about 400/400 on WiFi or 900/900 wired in.

There’s really no faster speed and honestly do not saturate this connection. It is nice to have virtually unlimited amounts of bandwidth and no slowdown when streaming or uploading backups to the cloud.

Feedback Score
    ...So my question is more out of curiosity is what speeds do you all have and would you upgrade if you had the option or are you happy with what you have.
    We just switched from 5 Mbps cable to 50/50 Mbps Fios last week because Verizon refused to repair the copper landline for the phone. I just thought to myself yesterday that I don't notice any difference. If we had a house full of people all trying to stream HD video or concerned with gaming it would be different.

I would not pay more for more than 5 Mbps. The Fios costs less that the cable triple-bundle, well at least for the first year.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast