Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Off topic home internet speeds

Feedback Score

I use a verizon LTE connection at home the speed isn't consistent but it is much faster than any other option I have.
    If I could get something faster and unmetered at home for $170/mo or less I would.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    During peak times, I cannot get 900 up for whatever reason. Not sure if my neighbors are all big cloud users, or if this is somewhere further upstream.
    Last edited by CircuitSwitched; 02-05-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is through the firewall, and fairly typical with minimal traffic on my LAN. Needless to say, I'm thrilled. http://www.speedtest.net/result/7030428954

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    This is through the firewall, and fairly typical with minimal traffic on my LAN. Needless to say, I'm thrilled. http://www.speedtest.net/result/7030428954
    Nice. I’m jealous of those upload speeds.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Nice. I’m jealous of those upload speeds.
    You didn't gawk at the ping, though! In fairness, I've seen it as high as 2ms.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    I think Cox's DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit offering is 35 Mbps upload too. Unfortunately, it's not available here yet for some odd reason. But on the bright side, the main Cox node for our neighborhood is in our backyard. So the latency is minimal, and speeds always run well above what is advertised.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Hopefully they do it right. I think Comcast jumped in to fast or at least didn’t have their network fully ready. My download speeds fluctuate dramatically. Early this afternoon I was getting 900 Mbps down now I’m getting about 270 Mbps down. Even tried resetting my modem and router. Typically any time after 9 I can max out my plan. Now it’s 1am and it’s slow “relatively speaking compared to 1GB”

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I honestly didn’t notice. That’s pretty crazy. Mine range from 6-14 pretty regularly.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Do you have EPB fiber or AT&T?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    only ISP here is comcast (have verizon DSL but doesnt count) also on the 200/10

i even ask comcast what was the highest upload they offer and they said 10 or upgrade to 1gig plan and upload will be 35mbps

also they said they gotta send a tech guy and that would be like $500 install fee,comcast also has a 400/10 plan that also requires the huge install fee

prices and speed plans are wack...

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Off topic home internet speeds

Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    only ISP here is comcast (have verizon DSL but doesnt count) also on the 200/10

i even ask comcast what was the highest upload they offer and they said 10 or upgrade to 1gig plan and upload will be 35mbps

also they said they gotta send a tech guy and that would be like $500 install fee,comcast also has a 400/10 plan that also requires the huge install fee

prices and speed plans are wack...
    I went through the same crap with Comcast. That upload speed part is correct for the gigabit plan.

However they did lie to you about the install fees.

Since you already have the 200/10 blast plan the 400 Mbps plan is there extreme plan and there is zero install fee. All they do is re-provision the modem remotely (provided your modem capable of the higher speeds).

The gigabit plan install fee is 59.99. I went out to beat buy and bought my own arris SB8200 modem then called Comcast to activate it. They went to provision it then said there was an error and a tech had to come out so we set up a tech appointment for two weeks later but right before she ended the call the modem rebooted itself and I was getting gigabit speeds. The tech still had to come out to two weeks later to check the signals and he did install a in-line power amplifier because the signal was a little weak (he was here for all of 10 minutes). And they even waved the 60 install fee because they initially told me no tech visit was needed because they were confusing the plans.

The Comcast rep you spoke with (they did the same thing to me) was confusing their gigabit plan which is 30.00 a month upgrade fee (docsis 3.1 modem) with their gigabit pro or multi-gig plan which is 300 a month (fiber to the home) with a 500 install fee.

Call or chat with tech support not billing about slow internet speeds and the tech support people know the difference and can add the gigabit or extreme plan for you. Most of their staff is not trained yet on the gigabit over docsis 3.1 yet and actually it’s a different department than their regular department. You just have to be clear that you want the Gigabit over docsis 3.1 cable modem plan and not the pro plan which is fiber. It took talking to like 3 or 4 different people because no one knew the difference.

From the time I called to add it to my plan (I already knew I needed a new modem so I went out before the call and had it ready) it only took about 20 minutes and I was getting gigabit speeds but as stated a tech still had to come out to check my signals even though it was working fine.

Also I see your from Pittsburgh. I’m out near the airport and I know a lot of the area on the west side of Pitt is Gigabit capable.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Do you have EPB fiber or AT&T?
    EPB Fiber Optics

Feedback Score
    here's mine. I'm on 8/4. Wireless Internet. Rural Canada. The package options are 4/0.7, 8/1, 12/2. I have a custom package for better upload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinRabey View Post
    here's mine. I'm on 8/4. Wireless Internet. Rural Canada. The package options are 4/0.7, 8/1, 12/2. I have a custom package for better upload.

here is Rogers Cable 250/20. This package doesn't exist anymore but with Rogers speedboost it will consistanly speedtest at 310-330mbps download and around 19-22upload.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 & 7+, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully they do it right. I think Comcast jumped in to fast or at least didn’t have their network fully ready. My download speeds fluctuate dramatically. Early this afternoon I was getting 900 Mbps down now I’m getting about 270 Mbps down. Even tried resetting my modem and router. Typically any time after 9 I can max out my plan. Now it’s 1am and it’s slow “relatively speaking compared to 1GB”
    Here is Cox’s 300/30 “Ultimate” tier. Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1517868694.246103.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  38.8 KB
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went through the same crap with Comcast. That upload speed part is correct for the gigabit plan.

However they did lie to you about the install fees.

Since you already have the 200/10 blast plan the 400 Mbps plan is there extreme plan and there is zero install fee. All they do is re-provision the modem remotely (provided your modem capable of the higher speeds).

The gigabit plan install fee is 59.99. I went out to beat buy and bought my own arris SB8200 modem then called Comcast to activate it. They went to provision it then said there was an error and a tech had to come out so we set up a tech appointment for two weeks later but right before she ended the call the modem rebooted itself and I was getting gigabit speeds. The tech still had to come out to two weeks later to check the signals and he did install a in-line power amplifier because the signal was a little weak (he was here for all of 10 minutes). And they even waved the 60 install fee because they initially told me no tech visit was needed because they were confusing the plans.

The Comcast rep you spoke with (they did the same thing to me) was confusing their gigabit plan which is 30.00 a month upgrade fee (docsis 3.1 modem) with their gigabit pro or multi-gig plan which is 300 a month (fiber to the home) with a 500 install fee.

Call or chat with tech support not billing about slow internet speeds and the tech support people know the difference and can add the gigabit or extreme plan for you. Most of their staff is not trained yet on the gigabit over docsis 3.1 yet and actually it’s a different department than their regular department. You just have to be clear that you want the Gigabit over docsis 3.1 cable modem plan and not the pro plan which is fiber. It took talking to like 3 or 4 different people because no one knew the difference.

From the time I called to add it to my plan (I already knew I needed a new modem so I went out before the call and had it ready) it only took about 20 minutes and I was getting gigabit speeds but as stated a tech still had to come out to check my signals even though it was working fine.

Also I see your from Pittsburgh. I’m out near the airport and I know a lot of the area on the west side of Pitt is Gigabit capable.

hey thank you so much for this info!!! it clear alot of misinformation from the rep i talk with...

would LOVE to do fiber, i do ALOT of gaming/streaming/file sharing but at $300 a month and $500 install fee not worth it..wonder if its 1GB up and down?

im renting a modem now which is only 3.0 ill have to get a new modem from them with 3.1

u said its $30 more for the 1GB plan? how much is it to jump on the 400Mbps plan?

whats ur ping on the non fiber 3.1 modem with 1GB plan?

also im the outside of the city prob 25 miles from the city

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast