Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Off topic home internet speeds

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    went on that site...im not sure what im looking at on my modem..maybe u can give it a look over and tell me the power levels?

this is on my older arris 3.0 modem----TM822G

im going be leaving here soon to pick up the new modem
    Your levels are all similar to mine except for the downstream power. All my channels are running from 10-13

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518020188.950313.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  135.6 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 & 7+, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I hear lots of good stuff about ATT uverse gig. I wish all ISP stayed around that same price point.
    Internet 1000 is excellent. Some of my relatives have it. Pings ~2ms, downloads are 900-950, uploads are 930-970.
    --Bentley

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I use Century Link and like the price @$29/mo. The speed is 15 to 20 GB which is fine for my usage. Most people would probably need more speed but liking the price is what keeps me with them. I can do everything I need at that speed so I don't need anything. I live in a somewhat small town and the only other option is a broadband service that people seem to constantly complain about service outages and other issues. That service charges $70/mo and on up.
    Staying with CL is a no brainer IMO.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Downstream: Look at the Power column and SNR. The URL I linked says what they should be.

Your modem is using eight bonded 256QAM channels for downstream (from ISP to you). The signal levels and SNR are good. The errors were all correctable. Depending on how long the modem has been connected to the ISP there are not many errors.

Upstream: Look at the Power column. The URL I linked says what they should be.

Your modem is using four bonded 64QAM channels for upstream (from you to the ISP). The signal level is good.

IMHO, you do not need an amplifier. See what they are on the new modem.
    thanks for the info..im now on the new XB6 modem, do u have another website i can go to again for test?

Attachment 156496
    This is the XB6 modem. It’s the modem provided by Comcast for the Docsis 3.1 1 gig service. For what it’s worth they have 2 models of this same modem. One made by arris (which uses the puma chip and has documented latency issues) and another model made by Technicolor. The Technicolor one has a Broadcom chip in it so that modem will not be impacted by the puma latency bug so request this one if at all possible if your getting a Comcast modem.

The two models that I know of that you can buy is the Motorola arris SB8200 also uses the Broadcom chip and the Netgear CM1000. I went with the Motorola and I like it.

You will need a Comcast supplied XB6 modem though if you want phone service. Although I have been told it is possible to leave your old Comcast modem that has the phone jack activated with just phone service then buy your own modem for the internet but I can’t confirm this.

The supposed tech specs of the XB6 look good on paper but I never had any luck getting good WiFi speeds or coverage out of a Comcast provided router. So I always attach my own WiFi router to the modem. Currently I’m running a Linksys ea9500 WiFi Router with 4x4 MIMO behind the modem. It’s not a bad router and has awesome coverage but it’s band steering and load balancing kind of sucks. It will fill up the first 5G band instead distributing devices to both 5G bands evenly. The router I had before was the Nighthawk x6 but a port started to go bad so I replaced it with the Linksys. I’m still in my 2 week period so I may take it back to BB and get the Netgear x6s instead.

You may not have a choice with Comcast installing the signal amplifier (to my knowledge there is no rental fee for the amplifier). The tech said that gig service requires a higher power lever but I have been told so many different things I have no idea what is true or not.

I’m curious to see if when you get your own modem if you also like me will get the gig speeds before the tech comes out to look at the power stuff.
    i pick up the new XB6 modem yesterday, hook it up and had issues where it wouldnt let me pass the wifi login/set page on chrome so i had to call and they had to set it up on their end after about 15mins it was running but i wasnt getting the speeds of course (theres ur answer joeinpa) so the rep had me do a few simple things which didnt work, then she tried on her side didnt work..said a service tech will come out at no charge to me (i took a picture of this on my cell phone because i know comcast is going charge me for it anyways,shady company) i said ok so the person is coming tomorrow ...using comcast speedtest i get 350ishmbps and if i use the website speedtest.net i only get around 200mbps..even fast.com shows the same speeds as the .net site....

Your levels are all similar to mine except for the downstream power. All my channels are running from 10-13

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518020188.950313.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  135.6 KB

i got the XB6 modem, i even ask the guy there if there was another model cuz on the back it said "XB6-A" he said no..then other workers were walking by and asking whats that, the guy had to explain 4 times what it who and who can get it... SMH

that test was on the old modem, not sure how to run the test on new modem just yet

oh yea, i dont use wi-fi only thing that uses it will be my downstairs tv for utube and stuff everything else is wired

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ok so i was able to find how log into this modem and was able to get the info from the new modem the Downstream part is a few pictures long...what do u think? whats up with the codework stuff???
    Attached Images Attached Images              

Feedback Score
    thanks for the info..im now on the new XB6 modem, do u have another website i can go to again for test?...
    192.168.100.1 is the address of the web server in the modem.

192.168.x.x addresses are private non-routable. They only work on your local intranet. Being non-routable there is nothing out on the Internet with those addresses.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    192.168.100.1 is the address of the web server in the modem.

192.168.x.x addresses are private non-routable. They only work on your local intranet. Being non-routable there is nothing out on the Internet with those addresses.

i found as u can see u the post above urs, i posted pictures of what i was looking for
    thanks for the reply tho

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    does anyone knows what MoCA is..says theres 3 devices connected to it

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ok so i was able to find how log into this modem and was able to get the info from the new modem the Downstream part is a few pictures long...what do u think? whats up with the codework stuff???
    To me it looks like your downstream powers are low but Iím no tech. Also I donít see that you are connected to a docsis 3.1 channel. One of the downstream channels should look different. I have a feeling your gonna need that signal booster to connect to the 3.1 channel and thatís whatís gonna give you those fast speeds or your modem isnít provisioned right to grab that channel. Can you see anything that says boot file in it.

Only other thing I can think of is see if there is a reset button and press and hold that. Not just unplug it and plug it back it. Thatís what I had to do and it booted right up with the correct speeds.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Off topic home internet speeds

thanks for the info..im now on the new XB6 modem, do u have another website i can go to again for test?

i pick up the new XB6 modem yesterday, hook it up and had issues where it wouldnt let me pass the wifi login/set page on chrome so i had to call and they had to set it up on their end after about 15mins it was running but i wasnt getting the speeds of course (theres ur answer joeinpa) so the rep had me do a few simple things which didnt work, then she tried on her side didnt work..said a service tech will come out at no charge to me (i took a picture of this on my cell phone because i know comcast is going charge me for it anyways,shady company) i said ok so the person is coming tomorrow ...using comcast speedtest i get 350ishmbps and if i use the website speedtest.net i only get around 200mbps..even fast.com shows the same speeds as the .net site....

i got the XB6 modem, i even ask the guy there if there was another model cuz on the back it said "XB6-A" he said no..then other workers were walking by and asking whats that, the guy had to explain 4 times what it who and who can get it... SMH

that test was on the old modem, not sure how to run the test on new modem just yet

oh yea, i dont use wi-fi only thing that uses it will be my downstairs tv for utube and stuff everything else is wired
    Is there a TG# or CGM# near the model. That will tell you the manufacturer. TG is arris and CGM is Technicolor. Last report I saw said the arris ones are everywhere and Technicolor ones are hard to find. Is the speed tests always the same. If they are always the same and that low itís likely not fully provisioned correctly but I donít think your connecting to docsis 3.1.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518041490.727990.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  100.3 KB

Feedback Score
    does anyone knows what MoCA is..says theres 3 devices connected to it
    MoCA is Multimedia over Cable. It is used to run Ethernet over coax cable. How that fits in with cable service, I don't know.

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have Sonic.net in the SF Bay Area, Ca.
    I get a reliable 50Mps down and 5Mps up.
    I have Fusion FTTN. Sonic leases the lines.
    I pay $60 with no monthly caps. I can use it all the time and use as much data as I like.
    I pay for a hose.
    I also get a landline that has 911 location, voicemail, free domestic long distance and 66 countries for free.
    I also get fax service.

Not a bad deal.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To me it looks like your downstream powers are low but I’m no tech. Also I don’t see that you are connected to a docsis 3.1 channel. One of the downstream channels should look different. I have a feeling your gonna need that signal booster to connect to the 3.1 channel and that’s what’s gonna give you those fast speeds or your modem isn’t provisioned right to grab that channel. Can you see anything that says boot file in it.

Only other thing I can think of is see if there is a reset button and press and hold that. Not just unplug it and plug it back it. That’s what I had to do and it booted right up with the correct speeds.
    BOOT Version:0.1.9.430478

comcast cant do anything right!!..speeds bounce around a lil ..ill get 220 then itll be 288 then 190...pings go up and down as well and i think ur right i prob will need that power boost....at least i was able to get the tech to come out for free..just hope its a easy fast fix and i really hope they send out a guy who knows what hes doing with this higher speeds...so if i press and hold the reset button will that delete my wifi settings?
    i will try it and hope it works

Is there a TG# or CGM# near the model. That will tell you the manufacturer. TG is arris and CGM is Technicolor. Last report I saw said the arris ones are everywhere and Technicolor ones are hard to find. Is the speed tests always the same. If they are always the same and that low it’s likely not fully provisioned correctly but I don’t think your connecting to docsis 3.1.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518041490.727990.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  100.3 KB
    i did some digging and found out that the model i have and prob everyone else is the xb6-A the one ur talking about is the xb6-T but i think the model T doesnt support phone jacks in which i need im not 100% sure if it has the phone jacks or not

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    BOOT Version:0.1.9.430478

comcast cant do anything right!!..speeds bounce around a lil ..ill get 220 then itll be 288 then 190...pings go up and down as well and i think ur right i prob will need that power boost....at least i was able to get the tech to come out for free..just hope its a easy fast fix and i really hope they send out a guy who knows what hes doing with this higher speeds...so if i press and hold the reset button will that delete my wifi settings?
    i will try it and hope it works

i did some digging and found out that the model i have and prob everyone else is the xb6-A the one ur talking about is the xb6-T but i think the model T doesnt support phone jacks in which i need im not 100% sure if it has the phone jacks or not
    Resetting it would likely erase your WiFi settings but it would also re-request your provisioned boot file to make sure your getting the right speeds.

I have no clue whatís goin on with your modem but I think itís signal related vs the wrong boot file. If you just had the wrong boot file your speed tests although slow would be the same every test. I think itís signal related. One tech I talked to said that they have to ďturn the power upĒ for gigabit users because it depends on how many users are on a node. Hopefully the tech resolved your issues tomorrow.

For the XB6 there are two manufacturers and externally they look identical they just have different guts. I would assume A is gen 1. There isnít much info out there at all regarding that Comcast modem. They are super secret for some reason on its tech specs.

It just stinks that itís so many hoops that you have to jump through. Itís almost like Comcast is treating gigabit like a soft launch and not training people well. Ask 4 people and get 4 answers. I just keep calling and wait till I get a knowledgeable person.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Resetting it would likely erase your WiFi settings but it would also re-request your provisioned boot file to make sure your getting the right speeds.

I have no clue whatís goin on with your modem but I think itís signal related vs the wrong boot file. If you just had the wrong boot file your speed tests although slow would be the same every test. I think itís signal related. One tech I talked to said that they have to ďturn the power upĒ for gigabit users because it depends on how many users are on a node. Hopefully the tech resolved your issues tomorrow.

For the XB6 there are two manufacturers and externally they look identical they just have different guts. I would assume A is gen 1. There isnít much info out there at all regarding that Comcast modem. They are super secret for some reason on its tech specs.

It just stinks that itís so many hoops that you have to jump through. Itís almost like Comcast is treating gigabit like a soft launch and not training people well. Ask 4 people and get 4 answers. I just keep calling and wait till I get a knowledgeable person.

im not able to to reset the modem till a lil later, family members came over and they have kids that must have wifi or theyll go ape crazy ...

but it the boot file doesnt work tonite then i will have to wait for the tech...based on the info from u and google, comcast will have to place a power amp in the house and maybe even switch the box out...i will ask for the model T

i read where someone posted months back, that a software update was coming and itll fix known issues with the modem but i have no clue what SW number he had

u said u couldnt find the spces for this modem?...i took a pic of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast