Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Off topic home internet speeds

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    im not able to to reset the modem till a lil later, family members came over and they have kids that must have wifi or theyll go ape crazy ...

but it the boot file doesnt work tonite then i will have to wait for the tech...based on the info from u and google, comcast will have to place a power amp in the house and maybe even switch the box out...i will ask for the model T

i read where someone posted months back, that a software update was coming and itll fix known issues with the modem but i have no clue what SW number he had

u said u couldnt find the spces for this modem?...i took a pic of mine
    Yup. You definitely have the first arris model. Unfortunately that modem has the puma chip which has a latency bug. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Arris_TG3482ER

I think the in line amp will help. I think it will give your modem the ability to connect to the docsis 3.1 channel and ensure it’s provisioned right. Most of the screenshots of modem levels have higher powers to connect to the docsis channel. Good luck and let us know what good old Comcast says tomorrow.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Yup. You definitely have the first arris model. Unfortunately that modem has the puma chip which has a latency bug. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Arris_TG3482ER

I think the in line amp will help. I think it will give your modem the ability to connect to the docsis 3.1 channel and ensure it’s provisioned right. Most of the screenshots of modem levels have higher powers to connect to the docsis channel. Good luck and let us know what good old Comcast says tomorrow.

yup got the one with the issues, tho i heard that the built in wifi causes ALOT of problems...i wanted to turn off wifi to see if that was the cause but i dont see the option to turn off the wifi???

yea i hope the amp will help,was told before by 2 techs who knew what they were doing about the amps o i know for sure they will install it

having higher powers will that be good or bad for the connection?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    yup got the one with the issues, tho i heard that the built in wifi causes ALOT of problems...i wanted to turn off wifi to see if that was the cause but i dont see the option to turn off the wifi???

yea i hope the amp will help,was told before by 2 techs who knew what they were doing about the amps o i know for sure they will install it

having higher powers will that be good or bad for the connection?
    The high powers are both good and bad. It will help you modem connect to the ODFM channel (3.1 channel) but it can make a lot of “noise” in the signal. The tech specs say power levels between -7 and 7 are ideal up to -15 to 15 being on the outside of acceptable with closest to 0 bring the goal. It seems like most people on Comcast with the amplifier end up connecting to the ODFM channel at around 12 dBmV from what I have seen in Comcast message boards. That just must be the way they are managing docsis 3.1 users. Most of my power levels were around 1-2 pre amp now the channels are all around 12

It seems like Comcast would rather boost up the power to gig users in your house vs the node that you connect to that supplies the neighborhood to keep the signal cleaner for everyone else. Plus the age of your coax cable and the number of TV’s also play a part in it.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The high powers are both good and bad. It will help you modem connect to the ODFM channel (3.1 channel) but it can make a lot of “noise” in the signal. The tech specs say power levels between -7 and 7 are ideal up to -15 to 15 being on the outside of acceptable with closest to 0 bring the goal. It seems like most people on Comcast with the amplifier end up connecting to the ODFM channel at around 12 dBmV from what I have seen in Comcast message boards. That just must be the way they are managing docsis 3.1 users. Most of my power levels were around 1-2 pre amp now the channels are all around 12

It seems like Comcast would rather boost up the power to gig users in your house vs the node that you connect to that supplies the neighborhood to keep the signal cleaner for everyone else. Plus the age of your coax cable and the number of TV’s also play a part in it.
    u just jog my memory....one of the reps also said that if i add another tv that i would need that amp installed

ill ask the tech what the numbers are and ill report it back here...gotta get get read tech going be here soon..thanks for the info, now i know what im dealing with !

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    been wait for almost 3 hours just to find the comcast changed the appointment to 2-4..if it wasnt for me logging into my account i would of never know and been waiting here and left then miss the tech...now i get to wait around all damn day how fun

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That’s not a surprise with them changing your appointment. Hopefully you get good answers when they do show.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That’s not a surprise with them changing your appointment. Hopefully you get good answers when they do show.

well the tech came and didnt bring the tools needed for the job (they have their own speed test device) and the guy is kinda try to blame my laptop that has a GIG Ethernet port and i was on the 200mbps plan which u can get not unless u have a GIG port....the guy didnt understand what i was saying...hes talking about 8gb of RAM and using a i7 cpu sooooo he got me another appointment next week...im pretty sure its the damn modem, then the guy called in and said i had the right boot file then i ask him to ask her if it was connected to the 3.1 network but i didnt get a answer i bet they didnt have one to give....but ill know for sure next week..and they owe me for a week of crap service

if any one wants to help me confirm that my laptop is GIG Ethernet ...its a dell M6300 laptop its the core 2 extreme cpu..i look up the cpu and it will kill an intel i5

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Are you serious. How does a cable tech not show up to a job to read cable signal power levels. That’s crazy.
    According to the specs that laptop should have a Gigabit network port.
    Ports should only have 3 speed. 10Mbps, 100Mbps, or 1,000Mbps. If you were getting 200Mbps speeds than your port is gigabit. Now to be fair you do need a bit of ram and a good processor to get the gig speed on that device but you should have no problem getting atleast 500.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you serious. How does a cable tech not show up to a job to read cable signal power levels. That’s crazy.
    According to the specs that laptop should have a Gigabit network port.
    Ports should only have 3 speed. 10Mbps, 100Mbps, or 1,000Mbps. If you were getting 200Mbps speeds than your port is gigabit. Now to be fair you do need a bit of ram and a good processor to get the gig speed on that device but you should have no problem getting atleast 500.
    yes thank you! the tech didnt understand that only way to get speeds over 100mbps is to have a GIG connection...the laptop i have has some power to it..the cpu alone and kill and i5 cpu...yea i could use a RAM upgrade since i only have 4GB like to upgrade to at least 16GB

ever since i got the new modem my DL speeds area crap come now where close to my old 200Mbps plan...max speed i get now is 150 and that on a good day, ihit the 100 mark tons of times...so something aint right with this modem

my laptop should be able to hit the 1GB speeds if not it should come very close...

and yes the guy empty handed and was here for 10 mins, telling me that comcast never really trained them for the GIG service and hes pretty lost on everything but he said that we will fix it and have u up and running...he was telling me about other ppl get 950-990mbps when they test the modem....im no dummy if they say that the modem is working right, im going ask them why are they lying to my face?....im getting crap speeds and that my old plan was working but i just needed more speed...this new modem really sucks and i know its the issue

it was said that im not connect to the 3.1 network....is there anyway i can call in and have them connect my modem to the right settings?

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Is your modem DOCSIS 3.1 capable (not just DOCSIS 3.0)?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    yes thank you! the tech didnt understand that only way to get speeds over 100mbps is to have a GIG connection...the laptop i have has some power to it..the cpu alone and kill and i5 cpu...yea i could use a RAM upgrade since i only have 4GB like to upgrade to at least 16GB

ever since i got the new modem my DL speeds area crap come now where close to my old 200Mbps plan...max speed i get now is 150 and that on a good day, ihit the 100 mark tons of times...so something aint right with this modem

my laptop should be able to hit the 1GB speeds if not it should come very close...

and yes the guy empty handed and was here for 10 mins, telling me that comcast never really trained them for the GIG service and hes pretty lost on everything but he said that we will fix it and have u up and running...he was telling me about other ppl get 950-990mbps when they test the modem....im no dummy if they say that the modem is working right, im going ask them why are they lying to my face?....im getting crap speeds and that my old plan was working but i just needed more speed...this new modem really sucks and i know its the issue

it was said that im not connect to the 3.1 network....is there anyway i can call in and have them connect my modem to the right settings?
    First off I would have told the tech that it’s not your problem that he wasn’t trained on the gig service. You are paying for a gig service so it’s Comcast’s responsibility to send the properly trained tech.

I still feel pretty confident in saying that the modem is not working properly due to it not getting the proper signal. The way Comcast does their gig service is one OFDM channel and several of the standard 3.0 channels. Since your getting between 100 and 150 then I would bet your connecting to the standard channels but not the single OFDM channel. The OFDM channel carries the majority of the data.

On my Arris SB8200 one of the front lights turn solid blue when I’m on a 3.1 channel and green when I’m on a 3.0 channel so it’s easy to tell. Maybe ask Comcast to change you back to the blast service with the new modem and run a speed test. If the speeds are correct then you know your not getting the right signal strength to get the gig service.

It should have been a fast quick tech visit. Check signal strength, plug in amplifier and your good to go. You could have a defective modem though. Maybe try to swap it out at a service center.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First off I would have told the tech that it’s not your problem that he wasn’t trained on the gig service. You are paying for a gig service so it’s Comcast’s responsibility to send the properly trained tech.

I still feel pretty confident in saying that the modem is not working properly due to it not getting the proper signal. The way Comcast does their gig service is one OFDM channel and several of the standard 3.0 channels. Since your getting between 100 and 150 then I would bet your connecting to the standard channels but not the single OFDM channel. The OFDM channel carries the majority of the data.

On my Arris SB8200 one of the front lights turn solid blue when I’m on a 3.1 channel and green when I’m on a 3.0 channel so it’s easy to tell. Maybe ask Comcast to change you back to the blast service with the new modem and run a speed test. If the speeds are correct then you know your not getting the right signal strength to get the gig service.

It should have been a fast quick tech visit. Check signal strength, plug in amplifier and your good to go. You could have a defective modem though. Maybe try to swap it out at a service center.
    i ask the tech why they wast train for this..he said because its new...i told him the service has been around a full year but he didnt know what what to do...he got some one with tools with this time to come next week (rolls eyes)

yea that modem sounds pretty good, but it said best for 300mbps? maybe a typo.be nice to see what network im connected to damn

plus that modem doesnt have a phone line which i need

i dont really want comcast touching my account they always F something up but thats a good idea but just dont trust them

i know its the modem..maybe ill take a ride to the comcast store and swap my modem out and see if they works..waiting till next week is killing me lol

yea thats what im going do im getting a new modem tomorrow and hope that was the issue

comcast makes things for customers sooooo damn hard...really really wish verizon fios was in my area..comcast is killing me in so many ways

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i ask the tech why they wast train for this..he said because its new...i told him the service has been around a full year but he didnt know what what to do...he got some one with tools with this time to come next week (rolls eyes)

yea that modem sounds pretty good, but it said best for 300mbps? maybe a typo.be nice to see what network im connected to damn

plus that modem doesnt have a phone line which i need

i dont really want comcast touching my account they always F something up but thats a good idea but just dont trust them

i know its the modem..maybe ill take a ride to the comcast store and swap my modem out and see if they works..waiting till next week is killing me lol

yea thats what im going do im getting a new modem tomorrow and hope that was the issue

comcast makes things for customers sooooo damn hard...really really wish verizon fios was in my area..comcast is killing me in so many ways

this is what i get on my iphone...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    this is what i get on my iphone...
    That Wi-Fi speed is pretty good if your device is connected to the 2.4GHz N band, if it’s connected to the 5GHz AC band then yeah that’s pretty poor (depending on the device and how far you are from the router). My iPhone 8plus Wi-Fi speed tops out around 470Mbps

When I had the blast plan I was always getting the same wired and wireless speeds and it was very constant. Always 220 down and 12 up regardless of time of day. Now my speeds vary greatly. I can run a WiFi speed test and hit 450 then repeat the test and hit 350. Same for wired, I will hit 950 the repeat immediately and hit 600 then back up to 800.

Maybe you do have a bad Comcast modem. Plus if you swap it out and you still have issues you are 100 percent sure the problem is signal related.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That Wi-Fi speed is pretty good if your device is connected to the 2.4GHz N band, if it’s connected to the 5GHz AC band then yeah that’s pretty poor (depending on the device and how far you are from the router). My iPhone 8plus Wi-Fi speed tops out around 470Mbps

When I had the blast plan I was always getting the same wired and wireless speeds and it was very constant. Always 220 down and 12 up regardless of time of day. Now my speeds vary greatly. I can run a WiFi speed test and hit 450 then repeat the test and hit 350. Same for wired, I will hit 950 the repeat immediately and hit 600 then back up to 800.

Maybe you do have a bad Comcast modem. Plus if you swap it out and you still have issues you are 100 percent sure the problem is signal related.

got a new modem today, nothing change still getting slow speeds and the rep i was talking with said something about low lelves so im going need that power amp on the line

my speeds are like 200-250 then itll be 150..

on my 200 plan i was always around 200-240 and 12 upload

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast