Thread: Off topic home internet speeds

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    got a new modem today, nothing change still getting slow speeds and the rep i was talking with said something about low lelves so im going need that power amp on the line

my speeds are like 200-250 then itll be 150..

on my 200 plan i was always around 200-240 and 12 upload
    speed test on phone was done on the 5GHz

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    also wanted to say that the lady rep said that they would have to have a fiber line install for all GIG plans and thats why im not getting the GIG speeds...hey if they wanna do fiber go ahead as long as its free as in they wont charge me for the fiber install...

i have a tech coming in 2 days so i guess ill get all my answers then...i just hope they dont pull some BS like "my device shows that its getting GIG speeds so it must be ur computer" then they leave im F..

no one knows what they are talking about

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    got a new modem today, nothing change still getting slow speeds and the rep i was talking with said something about low lelves so im going need that power amp on the line

my speeds are like 200-250 then itll be 150..

on my 200 plan i was always around 200-240 and 12 upload
    I knew it was power levels.

The provisioning is different for the gig plan vs blast. The gig plan relies very heavily on the OFDM channel and only falls back on the standard 3.0 channels when necessary va the blast plan which is all 3.0 channels.

Hopefully you get that amp soon. It makes a huge difference.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Off topic home internet speeds

also wanted to say that the lady rep said that they would have to have a fiber line install for all GIG plans and thats why im not getting the GIG speeds...hey if they wanna do fiber go ahead as long as its free as in they wont charge me for the fiber install...

i have a tech coming in 2 days so i guess ill get all my answers then...i just hope they dont pull some BS like "my device shows that its getting GIG speeds so it must be ur computer" then they leave im F..

no one knows what they are talking about
    Yeah. She is confusing the gig plan with the gig pro plan Aka multi gig plan which needs the fiber line. I really have given up on Comcast solving any technical issue I have and go to forums. You get answers right away and itís always more accurate.

That OFDM 3.1 channel is really picky and Iím 99% sure that you arenít connecting to it and using only 3.0 channels. I noticed a pretty decent increase in performance today when I moved my Verizon LTE network extender further away from my modem. I think it was causing interference in the modem.
    Last edited by JoeInPa; 02-11-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I knew it was power levels.

The provisioning is different for the gig plan vs blast. The gig plan relies very heavily on the OFDM channel and only falls back on the standard 3.0 channels when necessary va the blast plan which is all 3.0 channels.

Hopefully you get that amp soon. It makes a huge difference.

yea, i was hoping for a bad modem...hope they know what they are doing and bring a damn power amp, these techs reminds me of the geeks quad meaning that they dont know F...

heres the screen shots for new modem
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    yea, i was hoping for a bad modem...hope they know what they are doing and bring a damn power amp, these techs reminds me of the geeks quad meaning that they dont know F...

heres the screen shots for new modem
    Yeah. I donít see any sign that you are connected to a docsis 3.1 channel. Usually the channel will show up as like 159 or 161. Under type it would say other instead of 256QAM. The way my arris SB8200 is configures is that it connects to one docsis 3.1OFDM channel and 24 3.0 channels. I think itís also only using 3 upstream channels

The tech that did mine was pretty honest and said he had never done a gig install before either and was never trained on it but looked something up and said, Oh it just needs an amp, hooked it up, sent a refresh signal then I ran a speed test on my computer and he left. Couldnít have been here for more than 10 minutes.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah. I don’t see any sign that you are connected to a docsis 3.1 channel. Usually the channel will show up as like 159 or 161. Under type it would say other instead of 256QAM. The way my arris SB8200 is configures is that it connects to one docsis 3.1OFDM channel and 24 3.0 channels. I think it’s also only using 3 upstream channels

The tech that did mine was pretty honest and said he had never done a gig install before either and was never trained on it but looked something up and said, Oh it just needs an amp, hooked it up, sent a refresh signal then I ran a speed test on my computer and he left. Couldn’t have been here for more than 10 minutes.

damn that sucks,i hope my tech guy knows..seems like all the comcast ppl dont know anything about the GIG service, the ppl and techs i talk with also said they wasnt trained but yet the plan has been out to the ppl for over a year

i also ask for a diff model but all they had was the xb6-a i was trying to get the xb6-T...i would like to try to call comcast and try to get a xb6-T ship to me??

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

That Wi-Fi speed is pretty good if your device is connected to the 2.4GHz N band, if itís connected to the 5GHz AC band then yeah thatís pretty poor (depending on the device and how far you are from the router). My iPhone 8plus Wi-Fi speed tops out around 470Mbps

When I had the blast plan I was always getting the same wired and wireless speeds and it was very constant. Always 220 down and 12 up regardless of time of day. Now my speeds vary greatly. I can run a WiFi speed test and hit 450 then repeat the test and hit 350. Same for wired, I will hit 950 the repeat immediately and hit 600 then back up to 800.

Maybe you do have a bad Comcast modem. Plus if you swap it out and you still have issues you are 100 percent sure the problem is signal related.
    Same with my Comcast I used to have: same speeds at all times. However I never had a plan above 75/5. Fios gigabit varies much more just like your Comcast gig service. Either way itís still faster.

My main complaint is Verizon has much faster tiers but their Quantum Gateway sucks. Canít get above 300mbps wirelessly on it hardly ever and the range is just so-so. The fact they still hype this thing on commercials is odd. Itís junk and itís also weird fios is still ipv4. I feel like Verizon kinda gave up on fios in a way (x1 def beats fios clunky interface).
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 & 7+, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Same with my Comcast I used to have: same speeds at all times. However I never had a plan above 75/5. Fios gigabit varies much more just like your Comcast gig service. Either way itís still faster.

My main complaint is Verizon has much faster tiers but their Quantum Gateway sucks. Canít get above 300mbps wirelessly on it hardly ever and the range is just so-so. The fact they still hype this thing on commercials is odd. Itís junk and itís also weird fios is still ipv4. I feel like Verizon kinda gave up on fios in a way (x1 def beats fios clunky interface).
    I canít speak for myself, since I live in a region where Verizon Fios is not available, but this is not the experience I see and hear from many people who do have it. I wouldnít be surprised, if youíre in the Philadelphia market though. Itís practically Comcast-land there.
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

id take verizon fios over comcast any day...even ifs its ipv4 as long as its fast and its fiber then im good..be happy ur not with comcast buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    I canít speak for myself, since I live in a region where Verizon Fios is not available, but this is not the experience I see and hear from many people who do have it. I wouldnít be surprised, if youíre in the Philadelphia market though. Itís practically Comcast-land there.

same, friends that have it love it with no issues tho im in the comcast land of hell so im stuck with them...

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Yeah. My in-laws have fios and yeah it is really fast but the gateway does suck. Yesterday I was only about 12 feet from it and my phone was only showing 1/2 signal on the 5G network. WiFi speeds are just so-so but wired is great. They donít care as much about the WiFi and speed so they arenít interested in getting a third party router for better performance.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    I have Comcast and my complex is literally completely surrounded by fios but they wonít come in and give us fios. Iím talking houses less than 100 yards from me have fios. Because of this Comcast really sticks it to us with prices since they know we have no other option for high speed Internet.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah. My in-laws have fios and yeah it is really fast but the gateway does suck. Yesterday I was only about 12 feet from it and my phone was only showing 1/2 signal on the 5G network. WiFi speeds are just so-so but wired is great. They don’t care as much about the WiFi and speed so they aren’t interested in getting a third party router for better performance.
    yea i never use wifi well some times for my phone if i forget my hotspot in the car...im 100% wired for my computers

I have Comcast and my complex is literally completely surrounded by fios but they won’t come in and give us fios. I’m talking houses less than 100 yards from me have fios. Because of this Comcast really sticks it to us with prices since they know we have no other option for high speed Internet.
    thats because comcast and verizon sign a contract saying that they cant enter each other areas...im not sure how deep the contract goes but i know if ur in comcast land then ur F if ur in a verizon area and want comcast u wont be able to...but u should able to get fios because ur area has both fios and comcast but idk like i said im not sure how the contract goes....i found it online think last year cuz i really wanted fios then i saw and read it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    yea i never use wifi well some times for my phone if i forget my hotspot in the car...im 100% wired for my computers

thats because comcast and verizon sign a contract saying that they cant enter each other areas...im not sure how deep the contract goes but i know if ur in comcast land then ur F if ur in a verizon area and want comcast u wont be able to...but u should able to get fios because ur area has both fios and comcast but idk like i said im not sure how the contract goes....i found it online think last year cuz i really wanted fios then i saw and read it.
    My complex did have an exclusive agreement with Comcast that has since expired. Supposedly Verizon is just negotiating the agreement to repair damages if they install fios. Itís so frustrating cause itís so close. For the most part my Comcast service has been reliable but their billing Dept is horrible. Thatís why I want FIoS so bad.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My complex did have an exclusive agreement with Comcast that has since expired. Supposedly Verizon is just negotiating the agreement to repair damages if they install fios. It’s so frustrating cause it’s so close. For the most part my Comcast service has been reliable but their billing Dept is horrible. That’s why I want FIoS so bad.

well ur in a fios and comcast area....so i dont see why not? i would call verizon and ask for a manager, i would do everything i could to get away from comcast. yes their bill system is so F'ing horrible...i was told my bill would be $203 with the GIG service, i see my bill for $260 with a in home service fee that was suppose to be free (i even took a picture on my phone cause i knew this would happen) but where does this $17 come in play now, i look through my bill and dont see any where for these extra charges...every month is some BS with my bill to the point where im "not allowed to have any more credits on the account" so that protects them for giving me credits when im over charged!! comcast is sooo damn shady but they will NEVER get over on me....i really dont have have time for their **** but im not paying extra money just cuz its on my bill and my account isnt allowed credits...u think u want out of comcast, i would pay and extra $50 a month on top of my bill just to have fiso

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast