Thread: Red Pocket: Is this info posted on reddit correct?

Feedback Score

Red Pocket: Is this info posted on reddit correct?

So, I ordered a very cheap red pocket plan directly from the company just to try out the service before going for an annual plan. Some of you know that I am having trouble jumping on to another plan. The sim card came and I needed some more info (I was asked for an activation number, which I didn't have--that problem is solved), so I was searching for answers on-line. I came across a reddit post that included this info

To use Red pocket, you must first download their utility (an app). That app rewrites your Sim settings to run your traffic through Red Pocket's spying proxy (read the TOS - probably why it's so cheap). Once your traffic is routed through that proxy - everything works. You cannot use Red Pocket service without that proxy - at least for AT&T (perhaps the others are different - but I doubt it).

We use Redpocket only through a VPN or a completely secured softphones and recommend you do same. It's a hell of a deal for the money. But they explicitly tell you they reserve the right to peep and record.

The person who wrote this bought purchased their plan through ebay. My questions are
    -Do you have to download an app if you buy a red pocket plan through ebay? As I said, I a cheap plan directly from the company to test things out and did not have to download anything.
    -Is what they say about "peep and record" correct? I just looked at the TOS and only found this in terms of communications with them about their service, etc. Maybe I am reading it wrong or missed the info somewhere else, but I do not see that this.

I hope I am not spreading rumors and someone either knows if this is true or untrue. Also, I will be the first to say that I still am learning about all of this so please don't jump on me too hard if I don't know some basic fact about using mvnos, like if this is just common practice. I don't even know about VPS and secured softphones...

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never had to download any app to use the annual plan on a gsma sim. I don't remember if I had to set the apn settings manually or if they were pushed by the system.

Either way, expect the same level of privacy you get with other providers.... none. Chances are your data is being sold to the highest bidder in some manner and the nsa is recording your calls/texts.

Feedback Score
    the only red pocket app i know of is the one you can use to set up your APN, which only seems to work with specific devices and hasn't been updated in years last I checked

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I didn't have to use any app when I used a Red Pocket eBay annual plan in 2016-2017.
    Last edited by Boz1; 02-04-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I didn't use any app either.

Feedback Score
    I just ported over to red pocket gsma, it seemed like they want you to download an app for the apn settings, but they also let you enter them manually. I forget the exact wording on the activation website, but definitely the prominent option was to download an app and then at the bottom it had a click here for other options.

that said the manual apn settings website did not work for me at the time and I had to get on chat cust. service and ask for them.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I have a special cover for my cell phone that prevents problems with all snooping except for NSA who would never disclose anything unless they or anybody else needed to know it. You might find it valuable as well.
    Name:  41Ux70Bng8L._SX385_.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  18.3 KB

Feedback Score
    No app needed here either.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB exp 08.10.18
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 07.02.18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post

To use Red pocket, you must first download their utility (an app). That app rewrites your Sim settings to run your traffic through Red Pocket's spying proxy (read the TOS - probably why it's so cheap). Once your traffic is routed through that proxy - everything works. You cannot use Red Pocket service without that proxy - at least for AT&T (perhaps the others are different - but I doubt it).

The person who wrote this bought purchased their plan through ebay. My questions are
    -Do you have to download an app if you buy a red pocket plan through ebay?
    The only thing I downloaded was an app for automatic setup of the APN. You could just as easily do it manually if you know the correct settings.

The post on reddit is little more than fudd.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southsound View Post
    I have a special cover for my cell phone that prevents problems with all snooping except for NSA who would never disclose anything unless they or anybody else needed to know it. You might find it valuable as well.
    Name:  41Ux70Bng8L._SX385_.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  18.3 KB
    I keep my phone in a lead lined safe with the battery out. There's no way they can listen in now!

Feedback Score
    If I recall correctly, using an iOS device on Red Pocket GSM-A requires you to approve a VPN profile to be installed in order for Red Pocket to update the APN. I'll double-check my iPad when I get home to see if the profile is still there. I've purposely installed VPNs on it since and have manually changed things multiple times but don't recall if I deleted the profile in question.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    I keep my phone in a lead lined safe with the battery out. There's no way they can listen in now!
    Not to one up anyone, but I keep my phone in the special Chicken Little case, in my lead-lined safe, in my foil safe room, and when I use it I keep the battery out and wear my special protective gear.

Name:  13289457.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  conspiracy.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  82.1 KB

Feedback Score

Red Pocket: Is this info posted on reddit correct?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonysjenning View Post
    If I recall correctly, using an iOS device on Red Pocket GSM-A requires you to approve a VPN profile to be installed in order for Red Pocket to update the APN. I'll double-check my iPad when I get home to see if the profile is still there. I've purposely installed VPNs on it since and have manually changed things multiple times but don't recall if I deleted the profile in question.
    Yep, the profile is still there on the iPad. In the details for it, it says its for “cellular settings” (ie, the apn settings for fp.com.attz) and “signing certificates” from GoDaddy for FreedomPop.