Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon prepaid Moto E4 from Walmart not displaying unlock screen

Feedback Score

Verizon prepaid Moto E4 from Walmart not displaying unlock screen

I purchased a Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 for $40 from Walmart to use with Red Pocket. I purchased a $2 unlock code from ebay. However, when the Red Pocket Mobile CDMA SIM is inserted and the phone is powered on, the prompt screen to enter the unlock code never appears. The phone attempts to activate automatically but ultimately fails. Any help would be appreciated.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Possibly it is because it detects a verizon compatible sim. Maybe stick in a SIM for some other carrier first.

When I bought this phone as a extra verizon compatible backup, I was already on Vz prepaid so I stayed with Vz prepaid long enough to unlock it through Verizon first. I figured these unlock codes were problematic if someone wanted to use the phone on the Verizon network afterwords.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    "*** You can also unlock the phone with no SIM card inserted by turning phone on, going through initial setup (all can be skipped for later setup as well), going to Settings / Wireless and Networks / More / Cellular Networks / Change Carrier and then entering your unlock code. (This entry goes away once phone is unlocked). ***"

One can setup the phone w/o a SIM and w/o activating on a carrier. Once done you can follow the instructions above to unlock it. I hope you are not trying to activate a new line on Red Pocket. You cannot do that on the E4 unless the prepaid ransom is paid to Verizon first. You can only bring over an already activated Verizon MVNO SIM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses.

Doesn't the unlock code I purchased from ebay allow me to bypass the Verizon "ransom" code?

Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    "*** You can also unlock the phone with no SIM card inserted by turning phone on, going through initial setup (all can be skipped for later setup as well), going to Settings / Wireless and Networks / More / Cellular Networks / Change Carrier and then entering your unlock code. (This entry goes away once phone is unlocked). ***"

One can setup the phone w/o a SIM and w/o activating on a carrier. Once done you can follow the instructions above to unlock it. I hope you are not trying to activate a new line on Red Pocket. You cannot do that on the E4 unless the prepaid ransom is paid to Verizon first. You can only bring over an already activated Verizon MVNO SIM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't know whether I would call it a "ransom". Just paying back part of the subsidy.

But it seems that many/most of the carriers when they offer a subsidized prepaid phone it can be difficult to find out how to actually unlock it. If 6 months, is it 6 months of constant use? Or 6 months after you first activate it on the prepaid account you can unlock it assuming you keep the account active? If second, why not buy 2 or 3 phones, within a month. 6 months later, unlock them, then you have several and came out ahead in the subsidy game.

Or Verizon, you almost have to buy the phone and look in the box to see the requirements. Which makes it difficult to order online. ATT allows locked ATT Prepaid phones to be used on MVNOs, but Verizon doesn't (unless it can be unlocked via code, but even then can't activate them and you have to worry that they will run some audit).

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwehling View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

Doesn't the unlock code I purchased from ebay allow me to bypass the Verizon "ransom" code?

No. It is just an unlock to use on other "GSM" networks. It doesn't unlock the CDMA portion, which is managed in Verizon computers.

Verizon postpaid phones are sold unlocked. Subsidized prepaid phones sold are locked for both (code handles the GSM/LTE side). In theory fully paid prepaid phones should be unlocked too. iPhones are a special case since to unlock the carrier has to send in request to apple servers (no code).

The E4 I bought and unlocked through Verizon is currently on a ATT MVNO. The firmware complains about the SIM being non Verizon but it works.

Feedback Score
    I followed the suggestion above to go to Settings / Wireless and Networks / More / Cellular Networks / Change Carrier and then entering your unlock code. The code I purchased on ebay was submitted and accepted.

Now, I'm curious to see if that code was simply to unlock the phone to work with other non-CDMA carriers or if it allows me to bypass the $75 or 1 yr service subsidy required by VZW written on the box.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Now, I'm curious to see if that code was simply to unlock the phone to work with other non-CDMA carriers or if it allows me to bypass the $75 or 1 yr service subsidy required by VZW written on the box.
    Are you trying to use a "new" SIM? Or wanting to transfer a SIM from another phone? There have been reports of already active SIMs working on an "unlocked" phone, but difficulty in activating service with it in a phone that hasn't cleared Verizon. And carriers like RP have to enter in EISMs into their system to activate the phone into the systems, but they don't control whether Verizon will accept it or not.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking of using this phone on Red Pocket too. From what I've read, it'll work on GSM networks (AT&T) by using unlock code and then activating with new Red Pocket GSMA sim. I think the problem with new CDMA sims (Red Pocket or otherwise) is not that the phone is not unlocked but that this phone's IMEI is not whitelisted with Verizon Network and they won't let it on their network. If someone knows different, please chime in

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ...Now, I'm curious to see if that code was simply to unlock the phone to work with other non-CDMA carriers or if it allows me to bypass the $75 or 1 yr service subsidy required by VZW written on the box.
    Will only allow one to either activate new service with a GSM provider or bring over an already active SIM from a Verizon MVNO. Will never work on Sprint as there is no way to get it whitelisted on Sprint. You only can activate on Verizon post paid or a Verizon MVNO once you've paid the VZ prepaid amount. Doing that gets the phone whitelisted on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Forget the Verizon E4 and get the official unlocked Moto E4 or E4 Plus as it works on ALL US carriers. The Verizon E4 is crippled on T-Mo with it not holding (not T-Mo approved) Band 12 which is huge for reception in buildings and rural. You want XT1768. Others have reported calls on GSM dropping to 3G so that's a negative when in 4G/LTE area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    Forget the Verizon E4 and get the official unlocked Moto E4 or E4 Plus as it works on ALL US carriers. The Verizon E4 is crippled on T-Mo with it not holding (not T-Mo approved) Band 12 which is huge for reception in buildings and rural. You want XT1768. Others have reported calls on GSM dropping to 3G so that's a negative when in 4G/LTE area.

I was unable to unlock the phone with the $2 unlock code. However, as mentioned prior, it seems to only work on a GSM network (we chose ATT) as I haven't paid the $75 payment to Verizon. I think we are OK with that as the phone was $40 at Wal-Mart.

Thanks everyone for the help. I don't think I could have unlocked the phone without this forum.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G -> Galaxy Grand Prime -> REVVL, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid, Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    When I bought this phone as a extra verizon compatible backup, I was already on Vz prepaid so I stayed with Vz prepaid long enough to unlock it through Verizon first. I figured these unlock codes were problematic if someone wanted to use the phone on the Verizon network afterwords.
    What exactly should I do to unlock E4 through Verizon? Put $75 on account and then what - call them? What to ask? An unlock code? To white list the phone? How they will do it? Will E4 continue to work correctly on Verizon prepaid after being unlocked? Sorry for silly questions, I'm new on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    I was unable to unlock the phone with the $2 unlock code. However, as mentioned prior, it seems to only work on a GSM network (we chose ATT) as I haven't paid the $75 payment to Verizon. I think we are OK with that as the phone was $40 at Wal-Mart.

Thanks everyone for the help. I don't think I could have unlocked the phone without this forum.
    Like someone else mentioned, it will work on Verizon MVNOs just fine as long as you insert an ALREADY ACTIVE SIM CARD. I setup a few E4's on a friends Total Wireless/Verizon service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    You're babbling again.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast