Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Basic lte phone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,045
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0

    Basic lte phone

    Picked up a basic phone that's lte, online gently used (still had sticker on screen) for way less than what vz sells it for. It's the LG exalt

    Not a bad phone, a little bigger than some basic phones. The hd calling sounds pretty good, wifi calling works well and seems to automatically kick in when in fringe coverage areas.

    Haven't tested the hotspot feature yet but I plan to see how it performs since it doesn't have cdma (at least that's how it looks to me)

    Not the best pics but are from yesterday. Curious how it performs on the network


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,927
    Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was thinking of getting one for my parents. Thanks for sharing. Wonder how the reception is.

    Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using the HoFo app

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    683
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for sharing; I'm finally glad they noticed that they'll have to start putting out 4G chipset versions of the flip phones. Last time I saw, metrics said about 20% of the population (mostly in the older demographic) still used feature phones.

    Let us know how it works, if it's failing back to CDMA all the time, or if it sticks only to LTE. I've been curious about a phone stuck on LTE only (like using a GSM based iPhone with a Verizon SIM - no CDMA) and how it performs on Verizon's network. It will be a great indicator of how the network performs with solely VoLTE after CDMA is shut off next year.
    - acadiel


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,200
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    Thanks for sharing; I'm finally glad they noticed that they'll have to start putting out 4G chipset versions of the flip phones. Last time I saw, metrics said about 20% of the population (mostly in the older demographic) still used feature phones.

    Let us know how it works, if it's failing back to CDMA all the time, or if it sticks only to LTE. I've been curious about a phone stuck on LTE only (like using a GSM based iPhone with a Verizon SIM - no CDMA) and how it performs on Verizon's network. It will be a great indicator of how the network performs with solely VoLTE after CDMA is shut off next year.
    There is no CDMA on this phone. So one need not worry about it falling back to CDMA.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    297
    Feedback Score
    0
    bought a kyocera dura xv lte with all the bands, cdma, 3g, lte

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    174
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I tested this phone out for a week. It seemed like an OK phone. It felt sturdy. The software is a flip-phone version of Android, which was kind of cool. The mobile hotspot worked very well.

    There were a few software bugs. I couldn't send a text message, or navigate anything, while on a phone call. I also couldn't download any GPS software, not even the Verizon GPS software. Also, the battery wasn't all that great.

    As mentioned above, there is no CDMA radio in the phone. So, if you rely on CDMA native or roaming coverage, this phone will not work for you. It is really nice to see flip phones built for the future. Smart phones are not for everyone (like older adult's, individuals with disabilities, small business employees, and some hipsters). Let us know your experience after a week or two!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Caprica
    Posts
    2,789
    Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thread cleaned up.
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    683
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    There is no CDMA on this phone. So one need not worry about it falling back to CDMA.
    I’m halfway tempted to trying out something like this phone or a non-CDMA iPhone just to see how well it doesn’t work or works in the mountains of north GA.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,200
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    I’m halfway tempted to trying out something like this phone or a non-CDMA iPhone just to see how well it doesn’t work or works in the mountains of north GA.
    I'd never be able to tell here. I think I'd have to go out to Tellico Plains before I'd notice. I didn't even hit CDMA in Ocoee.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    6,045
    Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Picked up a basic phone that's lte, online gently used (still had sticker on screen) for way less than what vz sells it for. It's the LG exalt

    Not a bad phone, a little bigger than some basic phones. The hd calling sounds pretty good, wifi calling works well and seems to automatically kick in when in fringe coverage areas.

    Haven't tested the hotspot feature yet but I plan to see how it performs since it doesn't have cdma (at least that's how it looks to me)

    Not the best pics but are from yesterday. Curious how it performs on the network

    Where'd you find these?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    308
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    My brother had that phone but Verizon wouldn't allow him to use the hotspot feature the phone has unless he upgraded to at last the $55 2gb plan.

    Paying that much on a basic phone is a rip

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,200
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    My brother had that phone but Verizon wouldn't allow him to use the hotspot feature the phone has unless he upgraded to at last the $55 2gb plan.

    Paying that much on a basic phone is a rip
    You mean 5GB, right? That's the price for single line 5GB.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    308
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    You mean 5GB, right? That's the price for single line 5GB.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app
    That plan would work.

    When he had the basic plan for 30 to test things out they had the hotspot blocked. He mainly wanted it for an occasional data backup since it only had 500mb

    He liked the phone overall. Said it had good call quality and he didn't have any major signal issues

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    174
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    That plan would work.

    When he had the basic plan for 30 to test things out they had the hotspot blocked. He mainly wanted it for an occasional data backup since it only had 500mb

    He liked the phone overall. Said it had good call quality and he didn't have any major signal issues
    Yes, that is my experience as well. Verizon made me purchase the 5GB plan. I also felt a little ripped off.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    876
    Feedback Score
    0
    The phone runs Android so if it could be rooted you could edit the build.prop file to bypass the subscription check.

Similar Threads

  1. I need some help finding a basic flip phone.
    By ikuma3 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 03:51 PM
  2. ATT basic flip phones... anymore?
    By Jackknife in forum AT&T
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 01:02 PM
  3. RF performance - basic TDMA phone
    By tomgreen1000 in forum Nokia
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 08:47 PM
  4. Basic camera phone question
    By Mannydog in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 07:45 PM
  5. Basic Cell Phone Questions
    By Idoimage in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 01:01 PM

Bookmarks