Thread: Basic lte phone

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Basic lte phone

Picked up a basic phone that's lte, online gently used (still had sticker on screen) for way less than what vz sells it for. It's the LG exalt

Not a bad phone, a little bigger than some basic phones. The hd calling sounds pretty good, wifi calling works well and seems to automatically kick in when in fringe coverage areas.

Haven't tested the hotspot feature yet but I plan to see how it performs since it doesn't have cdma (at least that's how it looks to me)

Not the best pics but are from yesterday. Curious how it performs on the network

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking of getting one for my parents. Thanks for sharing. Wonder how the reception is.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using the HoFo app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing; I'm finally glad they noticed that they'll have to start putting out 4G chipset versions of the flip phones. Last time I saw, metrics said about 20% of the population (mostly in the older demographic) still used feature phones.

Let us know how it works, if it's failing back to CDMA all the time, or if it sticks only to LTE. I've been curious about a phone stuck on LTE only (like using a GSM based iPhone with a Verizon SIM - no CDMA) and how it performs on Verizon's network. It will be a great indicator of how the network performs with solely VoLTE after CDMA is shut off next year.
    - acadiel

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    Thanks for sharing; I'm finally glad they noticed that they'll have to start putting out 4G chipset versions of the flip phones. Last time I saw, metrics said about 20% of the population (mostly in the older demographic) still used feature phones.

Let us know how it works, if it's failing back to CDMA all the time, or if it sticks only to LTE. I've been curious about a phone stuck on LTE only (like using a GSM based iPhone with a Verizon SIM - no CDMA) and how it performs on Verizon's network. It will be a great indicator of how the network performs with solely VoLTE after CDMA is shut off next year.
    There is no CDMA on this phone. So one need not worry about it falling back to CDMA.

Feedback Score
    bought a kyocera dura xv lte with all the bands, cdma, 3g, lte

Device(s)
    OnePlus 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I tested this phone out for a week. It seemed like an OK phone. It felt sturdy. The software is a flip-phone version of Android, which was kind of cool. The mobile hotspot worked very well.

There were a few software bugs. I couldn't send a text message, or navigate anything, while on a phone call. I also couldn't download any GPS software, not even the Verizon GPS software. Also, the battery wasn't all that great.

As mentioned above, there is no CDMA radio in the phone. So, if you rely on CDMA native or roaming coverage, this phone will not work for you. It is really nice to see flip phones built for the future. Smart phones are not for everyone (like older adult's, individuals with disabilities, small business employees, and some hipsters). Let us know your experience after a week or two!

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread cleaned up.
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    There is no CDMA on this phone. So one need not worry about it falling back to CDMA.
    I’m halfway tempted to trying out something like this phone or a non-CDMA iPhone just to see how well it doesn’t work or works in the mountains of north GA.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    I’m halfway tempted to trying out something like this phone or a non-CDMA iPhone just to see how well it doesn’t work or works in the mountains of north GA.
    I'd never be able to tell here. I think I'd have to go out to Tellico Plains before I'd notice. I didn't even hit CDMA in Ocoee.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Picked up a basic phone that's lte, online gently used (still had sticker on screen) for way less than what vz sells it for. It's the LG exalt

Not a bad phone, a little bigger than some basic phones. The hd calling sounds pretty good, wifi calling works well and seems to automatically kick in when in fringe coverage areas.

Haven't tested the hotspot feature yet but I plan to see how it performs since it doesn't have cdma (at least that's how it looks to me)

Not the best pics but are from yesterday. Curious how it performs on the network

Where'd you find these?

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    My brother had that phone but Verizon wouldn't allow him to use the hotspot feature the phone has unless he upgraded to at last the $55 2gb plan.

Paying that much on a basic phone is a rip

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    My brother had that phone but Verizon wouldn't allow him to use the hotspot feature the phone has unless he upgraded to at last the $55 2gb plan.

Paying that much on a basic phone is a rip
    You mean 5GB, right? That's the price for single line 5GB.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    You mean 5GB, right? That's the price for single line 5GB.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app
    That plan would work.

When he had the basic plan for 30 to test things out they had the hotspot blocked. He mainly wanted it for an occasional data backup since it only had 500mb

He liked the phone overall. Said it had good call quality and he didn't have any major signal issues

Device(s)
    OnePlus 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    That plan would work.

When he had the basic plan for 30 to test things out they had the hotspot blocked. He mainly wanted it for an occasional data backup since it only had 500mb

He liked the phone overall. Said it had good call quality and he didn't have any major signal issues
    Yes, that is my experience as well. Verizon made me purchase the 5GB plan. I also felt a little ripped off.

Feedback Score
    The phone runs Android so if it could be rooted you could edit the build.prop file to bypass the subscription check.