Thread: Charged Roaming

Carrier(s)
    TELUS -> Koodo
    Feedback Score

Charged Roaming

Anyone here experienced this.

Left Canada for Asia and have my Freedom SIM with me. (Roaming on) Used it to text once only to tell my ride where to pick me up.

After that removed my Freedom SIM and inserted my Local SIM used that for 3 weeks. During the 3 weeks, Freedom SIM was not inserted into any phone or device, but kept it with my passport.

Back in Canada Received my Freedom bill and I have Incomming roaming calls charged $3.00 a min during the time where I dont even have my sim with me. Is this possible?

Called Freedom already and they reversed all charges but strange why and how this happend
    Bell and Rogers and Koodo

Line 1 $50 - Iphone 7 Plus 128GB
    Freedom Mobile
    Unlimited Calling - North America (Canada to US Long Distance)
    8GB a Month Full Speed
    Unlimited Global Text
    1GB North American Roaming (US and Canada)

Line 2 $50.00 - Iphone 7 128GB
    Rogers
    Unlimited Calling
    Unlimited LTE Data (20GB full speed)
    Unlimited Txt

Line 3 & 4
    Koodo
    $50.00 Ontario PLAN (Not QC or SK or MB)
    5GB LTE Data
    Unlimited Canada Wide Calling
    Unlimited Global text

Device(s)
    Blackßerry Dtek50 & Passport
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Get-Me1 View Post
    Anyone here experienced this.

Left Canada for Asia and have my Freedom SIM with me. (Roaming on) Used it to text once only to tell my ride where to pick me up.

After that removed my Freedom SIM and inserted my Local SIM used that for 3 weeks. During the 3 weeks, Freedom SIM was not inserted into any phone or device, but kept it with my passport.

Back in Canada Received my Freedom bill and I have Incomming roaming calls charged $3.00 a min during the time where I dont even have my sim with me. Is this possible?

Called Freedom already and they reversed all charges but strange why and how this happend
    I had it happen to me too, and FM reversed the charges. I guess they have a new system now. I never used to be charged for incoming calls if I didn't answer call with my Freedom sim in my device (providing my voice mail was turned off). Now, you must remove your sim card before you leave your Freedom zone in Canada

Sent from my STH100-1 using HoFo mobile app
    ""Wine'm, dine'm, sixty9'm""

Carrier(s)
    TELUS -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    doesnt matter. with SIM or without.

I have my SIM card removed from my phone for 3 weeks and i still got charged for incoming calls.

My SIM card was with my passport inside a SAFE and my Iphone have a Local SIM card

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Get-Me1 View Post
    doesnt matter. with SIM or without.

I have my SIM card removed from my phone for 3 weeks and i still got charged for incoming calls.

My SIM card was with my passport inside a SAFE and my Iphone have a Local SIM card
    Your sim must be removed while you're in a Freedom zone, before you travel. Once your phone receives a foreign signal (even for a second) you're on the foreign roaming program whether you like it or not. Your only other option would be to cancel international roaming on Freedom's website if you don't want charges.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I need my SIM there as I need to send a text to be picked up from the airport and that I landed.

from there SIM removed. I always do that even with Rogers and Telus and I never got charged after

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    When they were Wind Mobile, there were no charges. Unfortunately, now that they're Freedom Mobile, there are charges.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    That is a weakness with GSM.

The Home network sends the call to the network where you were seen LAST.
    So, if you were roaming in China for a minute, you were last seen in China.
    The Chinese network then replies; "they're not here, what do you want me to do with this call?"

If you have voicemail set up, you'll get an "in and out" call charge for every call you didn't answer.

Rogers had this issue back in the day when they transitioned to GSM, as did Bellus.

They have to set up a filter on the billing system to keep the charges off your bill...

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Feedback Score
    Contrary to some posters, it is not true that if you went out of Canada and picked up a foreign signal, that if even if you removed your sim, you will still be charged. This must be a freedom thing only.
    I have a sim from Asia for years for incoming texts, never got charged a dime. I have used my Koodo and Fido sim outside of Canada and incoming texts are free as well as incoming calls unanswered were never charged.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by casperr0430 View Post
    Contrary to some posters, it is not true that if you went out of Canada and picked up a foreign signal, that if even if you removed your sim, you will still be charged. This must be a freedom thing only.
    I have a sim from Asia for years for incoming texts, never got charged a dime. I have used my Koodo and Fido sim outside of Canada and incoming texts are free as well as incoming calls unanswered were never charged.
    When Rogers was rolling out GSM 20 years ago, and Bellus 10 years ago, this was a problem for them too.

People would cross into THE USA, turn their phones off and get double roaming billed for all of the calls that went to voicemail.

The more common the country was to visit, the quicker it got fixed. (More people complained)

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that Shaw has SEM/UR'd their switch and is rebuilding the network from scratch. China doesn't seem like that obscure a place to visit, but perhaps with roaming rates as they are, they don't see too many miss-applied charges.

They just need to tweak the translation table on the HLR to capture forward-back calls.

An example from the Rogers forum;

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1649650

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by sirtate; 02-14-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: I75