Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LTE Roaming in the US

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

LTE Roaming in the US

I still have the original US roaming package that includes 10GB of full speed data (local and US roaming) and find it works very well on my BB Motion. I'm heading down to the US this weekend and am contemplating taking my BB Passport, but with all the issues with connecting to LTE in Canada on older BB devices, I'm wondering if there are similar issues down there? Are people able to connect to LTE or is it still as much of an issue as it is here?

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    My wife's PRIV does HSPA in the US...

I'm on LTE now in Toledo, OH, but that's not on a BB...

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    My wife's PRIV does HSPA in the US...

I'm on LTE now in Toledo, OH, but that's not on a BB...

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Was on the fence about taking it but will, if only to see what's going on down there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    I still have the original US roaming package that includes 10GB of full speed data (local and US roaming) and find it works very well on my BB Motion. I'm heading down to the US this weekend and am contemplating taking my BB Passport, but with all the issues with connecting to LTE in Canada on older BB devices, I'm wondering if there are similar issues down there? Are people able to connect to LTE or is it still as much of an issue as it is here?
    Any of frequency-prejudice polices I have seen on the home network in Canada has not been observed in the US while roaming. For example, my handset will roam on any frequency band in the US even on those that Freedom has not built out in Canada.

Is the the context of your question?

The only difference with my original Wind Smartphone 50 Plan (unlimited US data roaming) is that 3 years ago, I observed little if any throttling for months of high US data roaming whereas since the Freedom acquisition, the threshold where throttling begins has been dropping. Shortly after the Shaw acquisition, I had a month where I saw throttling for the first time at about 3.2 GB in a month (2016). Later, I saw throttling at 2.5GB (mid 2017). And during the Christmas season (2017)on a 11 day road holiday down to California, I found my account throttling at 1.7GB just prior to crossing back into Canada on the way home. This past billing cycle (Feb 2018), I consumed 1.4GB, about 2/3 of it was in the US and I did not see an throttling.

Just my 2c. Hope it helps
    My evolution: Morse code key->Qualcomm 860->2760->Mot Accompli 008->009->mpx200->mpx220->Samsung i607 BJ I->i617 BJ II->i637 BJ III->Nokia E72->E73 ->E6->Mot NEXUS 6

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was in Buffalo this past September with my Passport and 3G only, even with the Promo Everywhere 50 plan.

Heading to the US tomorrow, not expecting to see LTE on my Passport at all.

My guess is they're not even going to give a second's thought to fixing the BlackBerry LTE issue.

Sent from my Passport using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Confirmed no LTE while in the US on the BlackBerry Passport. Our iPhones are on AT&T LTE, but passport is 3G only.

Feedback Score
    Check AT&T to see what LTE bands they use and which yours support. I had LTE the whole time I was there in February on vacation. Some areas only had 3G. Their coverage really sucks compared to Canada. Lots of dead zones.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryand78 View Post
    Check AT&T to see what LTE bands they use and which yours support. I had LTE the whole time I was there in February on vacation. Some areas only had 3G. Their coverage really sucks compared to Canada. Lots of dead zones.
    It varies by where you are roaming.

Band 12 or 17 is generally the most important for AT&T.

AT&T also uses 2,4,5,14,29,30 for LTE in some areas. Just depends on where they have a licence for what band. Note 29 is not useful without pairing with some other band.

What's the model number of the Passport? q.v. https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...encies-961279/
    Last edited by mch; 03-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryand78 View Post
    On a BlackBerry 10 device or Priv?

It's a Freedom provisioning problem that affects Home, Away and US roaming even if the phone has compatible bands on BlackBerry devices (BB10, Priv and even KeyOne are affected although there is a fix for Android based BlackBerry devices)

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Off to palm springs next week and wife has motion and I have Keyone. Will report back

Sent from my BBB100-1 using HoFo mobile app
    Lucky Albertan who has five $59 lte plans = $33 each with discounts. And am not moving to new plans without my 1GB data roaming Canada and USA. Love for the Blackberry KEYone

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB version). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markf_2 View Post
    On a BlackBerry 10 device or Priv?

It's a Freedom provisioning problem that affects Home, Away and US roaming even if the phone has compatible bands on BlackBerry devices (BB10, Priv and even KeyOne are affected although there is a fix for Android based BlackBerry devices)

Very doubtful. Remember the Band 66 and the iPhone 8 series and the X? Before those were confirmed to work on the network, with the Intel modem, I always thought Freedom was monkeying around with provisioning on Band 66. Once it was confirmed that the Intel modems don't suffer the same issues as the Qualcomm ones, it conclusively proved that Freedom was not monkeying around with the network. OnePlus issued a patch for their phones with Freedom's Band 66 shortly after.

All the phones I've used on Freedom (a Blu Studio C, 3 Asus Zenfones, and 2 iPhones), have had zero issues with provisioning. Especially the 2 iPhones.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It has something to do with Freedom's provisioning of phones with BlackBerry as manufacturer.

All BB10 phones, BlackBerry PRIV, BlackBerry KeyOne all have the issue. The DTEKs are rebranded Alcatel's so the hardware reflects that.

It probably has something to do with a BIS flag. I'd love to see if a BBOS device still gets BIS on Freedom but I don't have one to test.

As soon as the SIM connects to the network LTE disappears as an option to even search for.

I have Bands 4, 7 and 13 on my phone but no LTE option. If I pop a Bell SIM in I can get LTE.

It is an issue on Freedom's end and whatever they're sending to BlackBerry devices is not allowing them to connect to LTE.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markf_2 View Post
    It has something to do with Freedom's provisioning of phones with BlackBerry as manufacturer.

All BB10 phones, BlackBerry PRIV, BlackBerry KeyOne all have the issue. The DTEKs are rebranded Alcatel's so the hardware reflects that.

It probably has something to do with a BIS flag. I'd love to see if a BBOS device still gets BIS on Freedom but I don't have one to test.

As soon as the SIM connects to the network LTE disappears as an option to even search for.

I have Bands 4, 7 and 13 on my phone but no LTE option. If I pop a Bell SIM in I can get LTE.

It is an issue on Freedom's end and whatever they're sending to BlackBerry devices is not allowing them to connect to LTE.

My 9790 (BB7) doesn't get data anymore over cellular, and won't give me BBM over WiFi...

That tells me that there isn't BIS anymore...

I never removed 'blackberry unlimited' from my account, but it disappeared.

Is blackberry even supporting BIS anymore?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    So my KEYone didn't work with LTE as mentioned above until I followed this website https://www.aboyandhisblog.ca/get-lt...reedom-mobile/ now I get LTE. So I will be interested when I switch on my KEYone upon landing in the land of the free to see if I get LTE with the workaround or I get it automatically

Sent from my BBB100-1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As expected, no LTE on my Passport down in the US. What wasn't expected was the awful service (showing as 3G/3G+) with data speeds rarely getting above 1Mb/s DL. It got better once I locked into AT&T only and ignored T-Mobile altogether but not by much, ~2Mb/s or so. Before that, there was a constant fight between the two, sapping battery and what ever meagre performance I had in the first place.

I guess you get what you pay for but the performance discrepancy between The Motion and Passport (on 3G/3G+ roaming) is shocking!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast