Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

Holiday All-In-The-Family Laptop plan from 2011

This question is pertaining to this plan:

Holiday All in the Family Laptop
    $20/mo - released 2011

• Unlimited Data (10GB full speed allotment)
    • No Hidden Fees, System Access Fees or Activation Fees
    • Use your features anywhere on our network

A few questions for anyone on this plan:
    1. Has anyone on this specific plan been able to access LTE? If so, how specifically?
    2. What is typical data performance [ping; up/down]? - I believe it used to be better than phone plans
    3. Does the plan only work with the old APN "broadband.windmobile.ca"?
    4. When you hit 10gb, what is the speed like -on this plan-? [It was originally fully unlimited]
    Looking forward to Wind LTE!

I can't wait for this to be the norm on wireless!

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I'll answer my own questions, in case anyone cares about my experience.

I hope someone else can comment who has this plan... I'm really interested in if anyone else gets better data speeds or can access LTE

1. Has anyone on this specific plan been able to access LTE? If so, how specifically?
      -No LTE. Cannot connect, even maunally
    2. What is typical data performance [ping; up/down]? - I believe it used to be better than phone plans
      -Typically about 2-3mbps, up to 7-8mbps at night, and down as low as 1mbps at peak times, which is typical Freedom 3G speeds. Ping 70ms, but often over 200ms
    3. Does the plan only work with the old APN "broadband.windmobile.ca"?
      -My experience is yes
    4. When you hit 10gb, what is the speed like -on this plan-? [It was originally fully unlimited]
      -Don't typically get to 10gb because the speed isn't conducive to maximizing the plan
    [/QUOTE]

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I thought all old plans had LTE now?

If not, $20 for 10GB old plan vs $15 for 4GB ($25 for 7GB) LTE seems a better option
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $9 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $20 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Feedback Score
    ^Almost all Voice Plans with Data were given LTE but the old Data only Plans were NOT given LTE

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
    ^Almost all Voice Plans with Data were given LTE but the old Data only Plans were NOT given LTE
    Thanks. I am disappointed with this. I wonder if they will ever change this, or if they will keep the old data-only plans on 3G.

Seems like of all the plans to leave on 3G, this one makes the least sense from a spectrum-efficiency perspective

Feedback Score
    As more users switch to LTE capable devices, hopefully it'll improve.

I'm curious, does the device you tested on support Freedom's LTE band? Did it have the option of GSM/WCDMA/LTE?
    On a Galaxy S5 Neo I inserted a freedom sim into for first boot, the LTE option vanished and I have no way of getting it back. So even thought LTE was supposedly enabled for this plan, I didn't have any option choose it.

I'm waiting for the next time I top-up my every other month top-up.. then I can get a new sim and put it into my OnePlus One to see if it handles LTE or is stuck with HSPA as you say. I should even be able to do a speedtest at different region.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondcite View Post
    As more users switch to LTE capable devices, hopefully it'll improve.

I'm curious, does the device you tested on support Freedom's LTE band? Did it have the option of GSM/WCDMA/LTE?
    On a Galaxy S5 Neo I inserted a freedom sim into for first boot, the LTE option vanished and I have no way of getting it back. So even thought LTE was supposedly enabled for this plan, I didn't have any option choose it.

I'm waiting for the next time I top-up my every other month top-up.. then I can get a new sim and put it into my OnePlus One to see if it handles LTE or is stuck with HSPA as you say. I should even be able to do a speedtest at different region.
    I tested with the OnePlus 2, Pixel, and OnePlus 5 in Ottawa. With a normal Freedom voice+data SIM, they all connect to LTE. With the SIM on this plan, they only connect to 3G.

When I manually scan for networks, it sees both "Freedom 4G" and "Home 3G", and if you choose "Freedom 4G", it says "Registering on Freedom 4G...", then it will say some cryptic message about the network no longer being available and either showing no service or falling to 3G/HSPA.

Please let us know what happens to your SIM when you try that out!