Thread: Roaming in Canada issues

Feedback Score

Roaming in Canada issues

Over the past two years I've been roaming in Canada quite a bit and some issues I've noticed include:

When roaming on Telus the caller doesn't hear a dial tone when calling me, the line just stays silent unless I answer or it forwards to voicemail.

Regardless of whether I roam on Rogers/ Bell / Telus I have problems with data roaming. I will have full LTE service on any of the providers and pages will load perfectly for about ten minutes and then pages will take forever to load or most of the time the pages will time out. I have to force the phone into Airplane mode and back again and it will work perfectly again for another 10 /15 minutes. Most of the time I will be stationary, with full service and will reconnect tot the same network as before- no issues with calls or texts aside from whats listed above.

Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? I often have the most basic problems or errors on my Verizon account and I wonder is it just down to my verizon account being incorrectly configured or what. Things like sim changes or upgrades forces agents to change my plan(even though I would be on current in market plans), drop HD calling, drop wifi calling provisioning and even cost me my call the world feature because they can't process simple changes on my account because of errors. It has gotten to the point now where although I think my Verizon service is the best around these problems have led me to have to speak to customer care for over 100 hours in the past 3 years because they can never figure out why the simplest of things take forever to sort and I cannot spend this insane amount of time troubleshooting with them any longer and might switch to AT&T if they cannot sort this stuff out.

International roaming with AT&T also looks far better with better data allowances daily to Verizon.
    Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Topbox View Post
    I often have the most basic problems or errors on my Verizon account and I wonder is it just down to my verizon account being incorrectly configured or what.
    What phone are you using? If it is a non-Verizon branded phone that often causes problems with Verizon's system.

What plan are you on?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    What phone are you using? If it is a non-Verizon branded phone that often causes problems with Verizon's system.

What plan are you on?
    I'm using a Verizon iPhone X but have also used a Verizon iPhone 6S and Verizon iPhone 7 all with different sim cards so hardware wise it shouldn't be an issue. I was on the More Everything plan up until last Feb and then switched to the fUDP

Feedback Score
    I'm using a Verizon iPhone X but have also used a Verizon iPhone 6S and Verizon iPhone 7 all with different sim cards so hardware wise it shouldn't be an issue. I was on the More Everything plan up until last Feb and then switched to the fUDP
    I don't know what to tell you then. You can port out to AT&T and try their UDP+ plan, it is $5 more expensive than Verizon's FUDP but like you said, in Canada AT&T's data roaming allowance is better. Your Verizon iPX will work fine on AT&T. The only difference is that in theory AT&T has a 10GB cap on tethering whereas Verizon has a 15GB cap. However, AT&T has not yet implemented the 10GB cap so at least for right now, there is no tethering cap on AT&T. That could change at any time.

WinBack should be able to reinstate FUDP if you decide to come back to Verizon within the WinBack period. Not sure exactly how long that is but it should be at least 40 days. And if you do come back, you can ask for the $100 WinBack bill credit.

Are you on a single line plan or are others on your plan with you?

FYI - I switched to AT&T a few days ago and have no complaints where I live but of course everything varies with location. I did a test run and opened a line this past summer to try it out so I knew the service was good where I live before I ported my grandfathered UDP lines out.

Feedback Score
    Over the past two years I've been roaming in Canada quite a bit and some issues I've noticed include:
    When roaming on Telus the caller doesn't hear a dial tone when calling me, the line just stays silent unless I answer or it forwards to voicemail.
    Regardless of whether I roam on Rogers/ Bell / Telus I have problems with data roaming. I will have full LTE service on any of the providers and pages will load perfectly for about ten minutes and then pages will take forever to load or most of the time the pages will time out. I have to force the phone into Airplane mode and back again and it will work perfectly again for another 10 /15 minutes. Most of the time I will be stationary, with full service and will reconnect tot the same network as before- no issues with calls or texts aside from whats listed above.
    Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? I often have the most basic problems or errors on my Verizon account and I wonder is it just down to my verizon account being incorrectly configured or what. Things like sim changes or upgrades forces agents to change my plan(even though I would be on current in market plans), drop HD calling, drop wifi calling provisioning and even cost me my call the world feature because they can't process simple changes on my account because of errors. It has gotten to the point now where although I think my Verizon service is the best around these problems have led me to have to speak to customer care for over 100 hours in the past 3 years because they can never figure out why the simplest of things take forever to sort and I cannot spend this insane amount of time troubleshooting with them any longer and might switch to AT&T if they cannot sort this stuff out. International roaming with AT&T also looks far better with better data allowances daily to Verizon. Any thoughts?
    try reading the international travel FAQs - https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...l-travel-faqs/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try reading the international travel FAQs - https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...l-travel-faqs/
    I know what it should do but it’s not doing what it should and that’s why I’m wondering if anyone else has the same issues at all