Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do Tracfone update their phone

Feedback Score

Do Tracfone update their phone

I have a Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A5 BYOD (AT&T) and Tracfone own brand Samsung J3 Pro (VRZ), and both run on Marshmallow 6 android system.

Recently Samsung A5 automatically upgrade itself to Nougat 7, plus couple of other minor upgrades.

Was wondering if Samsung J3 will ever upgrade its operating system to Nuoget 7, or any type of upgrade. Don’t know whether the upgrade comes via phone carrier or the phone manufacture.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Most of the Tracfone phones will not get updates. The only one that I have seen getting updates is the high end phones. At least I have seen the the Tracfone S7's and S8's get updates. Not sure on the lower phones.

Feedback Score
    I have an S7 Edge on TF BYOP. I have never gotten an over the air update. I downloaded Samsung Switch for Windows, connect the phone to the PC via USB, and get my updates that way.

Sent from my SM-T713 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leeonine View Post
    I have an S7 Edge on TF BYOP. I have never gotten an over the air update.
    Which version? (device in signature is a tablet) Which carrier are yoU actually using?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Which version? (device in signature is a tablet) Which carrier are yoU actually using?
    The Verizon version, with a Tracfone CDMA sim.

Sent from my SM-G935V using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The Verizon version, with a Tracfone CDMA sim.
    Makes sense then. Verizon hasn't been good about pushing updates to MVNO users.
    AT&T only seems to care about IMEI matches but Verizon seems to look at the SIM too.

Feedback Score

Thanks everybody

I have an S7 Edge on TF BYOP. I have never gotten an over the air update. I downloaded Samsung Switch for Windows, connect the phone to the PC via USB, and get my updates that way.
    Could you explain more in detail your procedure for updating your phone via USB?

Would that work on my Samsung J3 Luna Pro (VRZN) that run on Marshmallow 6. It be nice to upgrade it to Nougat 7.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    Would that work on my Samsung J3 Luna Pro (VRZN) that run on Marshmallow 6. It be nice to upgrade it to Nougat 7.
    Has Samsung even released an update for the Luna Pro?

If not there's nothing for you to update to.

Check Samsung's support pages and search online to see what has been released.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I tried to find out more info on if the J7 Sky Pro will get updates, but I kept on getting the run around with it. Samsung points to the carrier. The carrier is pointing to Google and/or Samsung. Google points to Samsung and/or carrier. So the J3 Luna Pro might be the same them. So no one will know if it will get any updates.

Feedback Score
    Has Samsung even released an update for the Luna Pro?

If not there's nothing for you to update to.
    I manually force phone to check for updates (via WI-FI), but search result come back with "no updates available" statement.

As advcomp2019 mentioned, low end TF phones probably will not get any updates. I will check Samsung web site to see whether are any updates or not.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I tried to find out more info on if the J7 Sky Pro will get updates, but I kept on getting the run around with it. Samsung points to the carrier. The carrier is pointing to Google and/or Samsung. Google points to Samsung and/or carrier. So the J3 Luna Pro might be the same them. So no one will know if it will get any updates.
    I also think that a phone being pre paid or not might also be a factor in all those pointing's.

Feedback Score
    I manually force phone to check for updates (via WI-FI), but search result come back with "no updates available" statement.
    May not work on a branded TracFone, but you might try the Verizon Software Update Assistant. These instructions compliment and overlap each other.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ge-base-80195/

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ge-base-80200/

Feedback Score
    Could you explain more in detail your procedure for updating your phone via USB?

Thanks
    https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...p/smart-switch

Download the software, install it, connect phone to PC via USB, start software and it will tell you whether or not there's an update available for your phone.

Sent from my SM-T713 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The phones OTA check only shows updates pushed by the carrier.

The real question is has any version of the J7 or J3 that TF uses (like on another carrier) received updates?

My guess is no.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-27-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for the links. I will check them out.

The phones OTA check only shows updates pushed by the carrier.
    That might partially explain why Samsung A5 on AT&T got the upgrade, while Samsung J3 on VRZN did not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast