Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Safelink Sim Card Fiasco

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 640, Motorola Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Safelink Sim Card Fiasco

I got my mother a Big Easy Plus A383G and signed her up for SafeLink service weeks ago. They said they would send a sim card out and I specifically requested AT&T because T-Mobile didn't work in her house, well you guessed it they sent a T-Mobile sim.

I contacted them through chat about the mistake and they said they would send a AT&T sim which they did. I just received the sim and they sent one that's to big. The phone requires a nano sim and this one is bigger.

I just contacted through chat again and after going back and forth the rep tells me to go buy a byop sim and any Tracfone AT&T sim will work.

I was under the impression SafeLink used a different sim. Had I known this I would have purchased one in the first place and it would have been activated weeks already.

My questions are, is the rep correct in all I need is a AT&T BYOP SIM? and if she is correct where is the best place to get one?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    My understanding is that a TracFone BYOP SIM won't work in a TracFone branded dumb phone - unless something has changed recently.

Please confirm this is not a BYOP phone. Where did you get it?

Feedback Score
    If you don't mind shopping on eBay, $1 TracFone BYOP SIM kit from TracFoneWireless
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/TracFone-Brin.../282517656616/

If someone can confirm it will work for your phone or you don't mind taking a chance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post
    I just contacted through chat again and after going back and forth the rep tells me to go buy a byop sim and any Tracfone AT&T sim will work.
    It's not clear which SIM is supplied with a new SafeLink phone. On the website they direct you to the Net10 site for BYOP activation SIMs, and not TracFone. Might not matter anymore with the recent ability to activate branded phones within the companies. That's with smartphones though.

What are the first 2 letters of the model number of the SIMs they sent? TF is TracFone and NT is Net10. Not sure if there is one specific to SafeLink.

Feedback Score
    would it be possible that the Big Easy Plus A383G is a T mobile phone and the reason tracfone sent a T mobile sim again ??
    so would an AT&T sim even work ??

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    would it be possible that the Big Easy Plus A383G is a T mobile phone and the reason tracfone sent a T mobile sim again ?? so would an AT&T sim even work ??
    Even if the Big Easy Plus is a TF/T-mobile phone, it will work with a TF/AT&T SIM. I had a TF LG440G flip phone several years ago that came with a T-Mobile SIM. Service from T-mobile was so lousy in my area, I requested TF to switch me over to AT&T and they sent a TF/AT&T SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It's a BYOP, I would think unless dumb phones can't be classified as that. I purchased it from thewirelesssource on Ebay and it came with usb cable only, no sim.

The first two letters on the sim they sent is TF.

It was specified as a Tracfone in the add and removing the battery confirms that with Tracfone Wireless Inc., among other things on the sticker.

I'm tired of this mess, all she wanted was a simple big button phone. I'm tempted to just purchase a AT&T sim from tfuser19s link above and see what happens, just was hoping I could confirm that was the way to go.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's a BYOP, I would think unless dumb phones can't be classified as that. I purchased it from thewirelesssource on Ebay and it came with usb cable only, no sim.

It was specified as a Tracfone in the add and removing the battery confirms that with Tracfone Wireless Inc., among other things on the sticker.
    A flip-phone can be used as BYOP (my wife has one). However, the phone that you bought on ebay (I think I gave you the link to it) is a TF-branded phone and technically cannot be used as a BYOP device for Tracfone service. Maybe they let you use it for Safelink. You can try using a SIM from a BYOP Kit and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone recall a Tracfone feature phone that uses a nano sim? Seems odd to me. Maybe CS doesn't have the usual replacements that they use for their feature phones.

I suspect that an elevated level of CS could make the BYOD sim work. But I don't know if the AT&T version could adjust to single bucket.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    A flip-phone can be used as BYOP (my wife has one). However, the phone that you bought on ebay (I think I gave you the link to it) is a TF-branded phone and technically cannot be used as a BYOP device for Tracfone service. Maybe they let you use it for Safelink. You can try using a SIM from a BYOP Kit and see what happens.
    Yes I think it was you that gave me the link and it's a branded TF, verified due to the sticker under the battery. I've already got a activated TF AT&T sim I use in my Moto E4. Would it be worth testing it first or should I just order a kit?

Feedback Score
    Yes I think it was you that gave me the link and it's a branded TF, verified due to the sticker under the battery. I've already got a activated TF AT&T sim I use in my Moto E4. Would it be worth testing it first or should I just order a kit?
    TF locks the sim to the phone serial number of its feature phones. If the two things are not registered together, it probably won't work.

I'm sure a lot of people have tried various sims, and I don't recall that it hurt anything, other than not working. The TF feature phones need a certain sim that works with the programming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Does anyone recall a Tracfone feature phone that uses a nano sim? Seems odd to me. Maybe CS doesn't have the usual replacements that they use for their feature phones.

I suspect that an elevated level of CS could make the BYOD sim work. But I don't know if the AT&T version could adjust to single bucket.
    My thought also about the SIM size not being nano. It looks like a micro in the phone's tutorial. Maybe they sent s mini which was used in the older basic phones.

Not only the bucket system to deal with, but also the SafeLink monthly system. A BYOP SIM might not work on a basic phone for those reasons.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've already got a activated TF AT&T sim I use in my Moto E4. Would it be worth testing it first or should I just order a kit?
    You can try your TF/AT&T SIM from your E4 in the Alcatel. At worst, it'll say "Unregistered SIM" because with a TF-branded non-smartphone they tie the SIM number to the phone serial number in their database.

Are you sure the Alcatel uses a nano SIM? Like Lisme said, usually only (recent) smartphones use nano SIM. The A383G is several years old.

Feedback Score
    I've already got a activated TF AT&T sim I use in my Moto E4. Would it be worth testing it first or should I just order a kit?
    The E4 SIM is a Nano, and might require an adapter if the phone uses a micro like I was thinking.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The E4 SIM is a Nano, and might require an adapter if the phone uses a micro like I was thinking.
    If the Alcatel uses a micro SIM, then the OP already has that "big" SIM that TF sent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast