Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's the practical different in sms and mms?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    It seems the OPís main concern is what cricket includes for international sms and mms. If the OP is using android, then using an over the top OTT messaging app like whatsapp would allow him to send/receive messages without any carrier restrictions to contacts globally and while he is traveling. All he needs is an internet connection or cellular data. Get all your family using whatsapp and message as much as you want. Anything sent over cellular data will consume data unlike mms which is free on cricket. Send a 10mb photo using whatsapp and it will consume 10mb of cellular or wifi data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinnedone View Post
    If your phone supports wifi calling and it works you can send and receive sms and MMS over WiFi if your carrier supports it.
    Going to quote myself here.

I just tried, and on LG V20 in airplane mode with WiFi calling on and only SMS will go through and not MMS. A little odd behavior, but that's my findings.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As I understand, only the iPhone can send MMS via wifi since it is sent through Apple's servers and not the cellular provider.

Sent from my SM-P900 using HoFo mobile app
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    It seems the OP’s main concern is what cricket includes for international sms and mms. If the OP is using android, then using an over the top OTT messaging app like whatsapp would allow him to send/receive messages without any carrier restrictions to contacts globally and while he is traveling. All he needs is an internet connection or cellular data. Get all your family using whatsapp and message as much as you want. Anything sent over cellular data will consume data unlike mms which is free on cricket. Send a 10mb photo using whatsapp and it will consume 10mb of cellular or wifi data.
    I'd ask this question originally trying to understand crickets t&c concerning international texting etc as I have a relative who is in New Zealand for a month who has picked up a local sim. Imo, there was some contradictions with crickets t&c with sms mms etc. Also there is a list of about 35 countries which cricket offers add on service, but not New Zealand, and cs had already told me no service there.
    To further confuse the issue,I primarily use hangouts, because I have multiple numbers with calls routed thru gv.

In either case, I can receive texts, but not send with handouts, and am just using email. It still seems odd that today this would still be an issue. Reminds me of using cell phone while traveling/roaming in the us until late 90's. I've still got one of those roaming guide books which I need to upload here. Both then and now are night mare situations, unless I imagine one understands the system, which I obviously don't.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    As I understand, only the iPhone can send MMS via wifi since it is sent through Apple's servers and not the cellular provider.

Sent from my SM-P900 using HoFo mobile app
    Iím not exactly sure how imessage handles sms and mms. When and where is the conversion from an imessage to a sms/mms completed and sent? Is it converted and sent from the imessage app on the device or apple server?

Iíve been trying to find the answer to this question for some time.

I guess I can do some testing by turning off cellular data and see if sent picture messages are reveived by android users. Why didnít I think of that sooner?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    I'd ask this question originally trying to understand crickets t&c concerning international texting etc as I have a relative who is in New Zealand for a month who has picked up a local sim. Imo, there was some contradictions with crickets t&c with sms mms etc. Also there is a list of about 35 countries which cricket offers add on service, but not New Zealand, and cs had already told me no service there.
    To further confuse the issue,I primarily use hangouts, because I have multiple numbers with calls routed thru gv.

In either case, I can receive texts, but not send with handouts, and am just using email. It still seems odd that today this would still be an issue. Reminds me of using cell phone while traveling/roaming in the us until late 90's. I've still got one of those roaming guide books which I need to upload here. Both then and now are night mare situations, unless I imagine one understands the system, which I obviously don't.
    Iíve never used hangouts but I thought it was also an over the top messaging app like whatsapp. If you and your contact are both hangout users then you should have no problem messaging each other providing you have an internet connection either via cellular or wifi without any carrier restrictions.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Moto E LTE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Hangouts can only send SMS to US and CanadIan numbers. Hangouts OTT messages can be exchanged between Hangouts users anywhere in the world.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

What's the practical different in sms and mms?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    Iím not exactly sure how imessage handles sms and mms. When and where is the conversion from an imessage to a sms/mms completed and sent? Is it converted and sent from the imessage app on the device or apple server?

Iíve been trying to find the answer to this question for some time.

I guess I can do some testing by turning off cellular data and see if sent picture messages are reveived by android users. Why didnít I think of that sooner?
    iMessage isnít SMS or MMS. iMessage is more like hangout, where iPhone iMessage only works with other iPhone users.

What's the difference between a text message, SMS, and MMS?

SMS stands for Short Message Service and is also commonly referred to as a "text message". With a SMS, you can send a message of up to 160 characters to another device. Longer messages will automatically be split up into several parts. Most cell phones support this type of text messaging.

MMS stands for Multimedia Messaging Service and this type of text messaging is an evolution of the SMS. With a MMS, you can send a message including pictures, video, or audio content to another device. It is most commonly used to send a photo taken with a camera phone to another phone. Most new cell phones with multimedia capabilities support MMS.
    Last edited by Slagish; 02-12-2018 at 02:01 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

What's the practical different in sms and mms?

I did a few test with iMessage off and I was only able to send normal SMS to a single user at a time.

As far as group messaging goes, no go. All messages failed trying to send a group message. But after turning off Group MMS in settings, all normal SMS were sent to the group. One issue that popped up was that even tho I sent it as a group SMS, each person received it as if I sent it to each one individually.

As far as all MMS, no pictures or videos were able to be sent over cricket-WiFi.

Itís a shame that even in 2018 now, they canít seem to upgrade SMS to a newer standard. Guess the old saying, if it ainít broke, donít fix it applies with big telephone companies.

Code:
        to   
        SMS   
        MMS  

to  
     SMS   - with Group MMS in settings off
     MMS 

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518418650.495809.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518418662.196783.jpg
Size:  38.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    iMessage isnít SMS or MMS. iMessage is more like hangout, where iPhone iMessage only works with other iPhone users.

What's the difference between a text message, SMS, and MMS?

SMS stands for Short Message Service and is also commonly referred to as a "text message". With a SMS, you can send a message of up to 160 characters to another device. Longer messages will automatically be split up into several parts. Most cell phones support this type of text messaging.

MMS stands for Multimedia Messaging Service and this type of text messaging is an evolution of the SMS. With a MMS, you can send a message including pictures, video, or audio content to another device. It is most commonly used to send a photo taken with a camera phone to another phone. Most new cell phones with multimedia capabilities support MMS.
    Yes I understand. I was wanting to know how the imessage app manages sms/mms. imessages are sent via apple servers to other imessage users. When that same imessage is sent as a group message to other iphone and android users, where does that imessage get converted to mms so it can be received by android users? Does the imessage get sent to apple servers where it gets converted to mms for android users and sent from the apple server or does it get sent back to your iphone and sent from the iphone or is the conversion done on your iphone and sent from uour iphone. That is what Iím trying to understand.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    I did a few test with iMessage off and I was only able to send normal SMS to a single user at a time.

As far as group messaging goes, no go. All messages failed trying to send a group message. But after turning off Group MMS in settings, all normal SMS were sent to the group. One issue that popped up was that even tho I sent it as a group SMS, each person received it as if I sent it to each one individually.

As far as all MMS, no pictures or videos were able to be sent over cricket-WiFi.

Itís a shame that even in 2018 now, they canít seem to upgrade SMS to a newer standard. Guess the old saying, if it ainít broke, donít fix it applies with big telephone companies.

Code:
        to   
        SMS   
        MMS  

to  
     SMS   - with Group MMS in settings off
     MMS 

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518418650.495809.jpg
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1518418662.196783.jpg
Size:  38.6 KB
    Thanks for testing. This seems to prove that mms must be sent via cellular data. It wonít work when in airplane mode connected to wifi as youíve shown. When I first made the switch to iphone I kept imessage off because i was still sim swapping between iphone and android. I used my iphone with imessage turned off for a few months with no problems. So everything was sent as sms/mms usually limited to 1mb per mms. Since cricket includes free mms it does not count against your data bucket. Once you turn on imessage those imessages now consume cellular data if you are not connected to wifi. For someone that shares a lot of photos and videos on imessage that could consume cellular data pretty quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2