Thread: Why are the majority of metro stores so shady?

Feedback Score

Why are the majority of metro stores so shady?

They're always signing you up for bogus add ons you didn't request, putting you on higher plans and throwing random gotcha fees in there when they give you the grand total. Very scummy.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    It's all about ownership and commissions. For some stores, employees don't get paid any of their commissions unless they sell a certain number of higher priced plans and addons. Some of the ones in my area have distract managers who sit around and openly spy on people to make sure that they are only selling higher priced plans and forcing accessories on people. When the same person, or small group of people, are allowed to own everything, this happens. Trust me, it's not just Metro PCS, it's everyone. That's why I'd rather buy online than in stores these days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    They're always signing you up for bogus add ons you didn't request, putting you on higher plans and throwing random gotcha fees in there when they give you the grand total. Very scummy.
    Because Cricket, Metro, Boost dealers receive a very small cut of the profit for each customers sign-up. Independent dealers have to come up with ways to pay the rent like selling add-ons, top-ups, and insurance. Its not much different from big carriers stores, they do the same thing, it just smells nicer inside their stores. I wish Metro would stop opening stores and move their operation online. Metro customer adds are down every quarter now because customers don't like the 3rd party experience.

Metro corporate stores are amazing, they run like regular carrier stores with digital sign-in, working displays, demo units, seating, and educated staff.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Because Cricket, Metro, Boost dealers receive a very small cut of the profit for each customers sign-up. Independent dealers have to come up with ways to pay the rent like selling add-ons, top-ups, and insurance. Its not much different from big carriers stores, they do the same thing, it just smells nicer inside their stores. I wish Metro would stop opening stores and move their operation online. Metro customer adds are down every quarter now because customers don't like the 3rd party experience.

Metro corporate stores are amazing, they run like regular carrier stores with digital sign-in, working displays, demo units, seating, and educated staff.
    Sadly, because of the cost and the fact that they have to pay a decent wage to workers, coporate stores are a dying breed. When Metro first got to my area years ago, they told people that wanted to open a store that they needed to agree to open 10 stores. This caused the market to be spammed with Metro stores. In one area where I live, there are 3 Metro stores within a mile and a half of each other. It used to be that prepaid stores made money one every sale, meaning they had to fight hard to give you great service. But now many carriers only push the stores that make their numbers look good, not the stores that provide real customer service. Even if I left Fi, I probably would never deal with a phone company in store ever again. Companies forcing the small guys out to make it seem like they are big time has ruined prepaid for the long haul.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    It's all about ownership and commissions. For some stores, employees don't get paid any of their commissions unless they sell a certain number of higher priced plans and addons. Some of the ones in my area have distract managers who sit around and openly spy on people to make sure that they are only selling higher priced plans and forcing accessories on people. When the same person, or small group of people, are allowed to own everything, this happens. Trust me, it's not just Metro PCS, it's everyone. That's why I'd rather buy online than in stores these days.
    The decline in brick-and-mortar is often their own fault. Terrible customer service.

Brick and Mordor. Good riddance.

Feedback Score
    Sadly, because of the cost and the fact that they have to pay a decent wage to workers, coporate stores are a dying breed. When Metro first got to my area years ago, they told people that wanted to open a store that they needed to agree to open 10 stores. This caused the market to be spammed with Metro stores. In one area where I live, there are 3 Metro stores within a mile and a half of each other. It used to be that prepaid stores made money one every sale, meaning they had to fight hard to give you great service. But now many carriers only push the stores that make their numbers look good, not the stores that provide real customer service. Even if I left Fi, I probably would never deal with a phone company in store ever again. Companies forcing the small guys out to make it seem like they are big time has ruined prepaid for the long haul.
    And actually any such place pays a decent wage. If they didn't, no one would work at them.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    And actually any such place pays a decent wage. If they didn't, no one would work at them.
    Depends on your definition of decent. I know a person who has Metro stores in multiple states that starts off at $8 an hour + commission. Then after your first month, your commission goal raises to a level most can't reach, meaning that they are no longer eligible to get commission and only making $8 an hour. Most stores now sadly don't reward hard work and honesty, but look to reward lying and cheating your way to the top.

Device(s)
    i880
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Depends on your definition of decent. I know a person who has Metro stores in multiple states that starts off at $8 an hour + commission. Then after your first month, your commission goal raises to a level most can't reach, meaning that they are no longer eligible to get commission and only making $8 an hour. Most stores now sadly don't reward hard work and honesty, but look to reward lying and cheating your way to the top.
    It's pretty easy to hit commission goals even if you don't get everyone it's not too hard but I do agree it's getting harder and harder with online shopping specially amazon and how quick the shipping is and how much cheaper the prices are, pretty soon more and more stores will be closing once they start to get hit hard on there accessories sales, because most stores make more on that then the actual phone and plans they sell.