Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are there any FREE VOIP vendors with FREE porting? RingTo 3/31/2018 Deadline

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    I have both and find RingTo easier to navigate some of the basic functions. Listening to a voicemail is easy in both but blocking a number is easier in RingTo. There are some differences in feature sets also. For example you have complete control in RingTo over how long a phone will ring before RingTo's voicemail answers. GV does not have this ability. The differences between the two products are not huge, however; if you are used to RingTo, getting used to GV might take a week.
    Thank you for your feedback.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    I was wondering about FreedomPop. Just how free is it? I have heard all kinds of horror stories about them with their charges. If it is free service, why do I need to give them my credit card. So they scared me away.

We use 3 GV numbers, two of them with OBI200s to support our old landline phones. The third number supports my cell phone, tablets and PCs, but no old landline phones. We also still use one Tracfone and one Tello cell phones. Remember, you only need an OBI200 if you want to support old landline type phones. The OBI200 is not required to support cell phones, tablets, and PCs.

GV since Feb 2014.
    FreedomPop is free as long as you follow the rules. They require a credit card for overages. I have 12 FP SIM cards, using them in 3 phones and 3 tablets, since 2016. With 10+ Freedom Friends, each SIM card has 700MB/mo, with 680MB/mo usable before being charged a top-up. I have my devices set to warn at 625MB and cut off cellular data at 650MB. There have been times when I have used around 670MB on a FP SIM card in a month, due to my phone not immediately stopping data at the 650MB cut-off. But I have never had an overage charge. As I reach the 625MB level for each SIM card, I switch to another FP SIM card.

I have also never been charged for any of the optional FP plans or services.

If you don't already have FP SIM cards, the downgrade to the free plan now requires a $5 to-up, which you do after you disable automatic future top-ups, which is where the $5 comes in. The info is at the links below. I got all of my FP SIM cards before this new requirement.

Info:
    http://cranialborborygmus.com/freedo...or-dummies.htm
    cheapocellular.weebly.com
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    So FreedomPop might be free after some startup costs... of $5 to $15... Of course they advertise 100% free. Well that does not sound like its 100% free to me. 100% free to me means I don't need to give them a credit card. Why should I, if I only want the free stuff?

RingPlus was 100% free at one time. I did not have to give them a credit card. It was truly 100% free.

I also heard that FreedomPop makes it very hard to turn off paid features. Like hiding links and using very small text. It does not sound like a company I would want to deal with. And whats all this nonsense about charging a penny a month on your credit card. You can see why I got scared away from them.
    OBIHAI 200 Oct 2015 Replaced NetTalk
    Alcatel A383G Jul 2015 To Jan 2016 Replaced A382G
    Alcatel A382G Apr 2014 To Jul 2015
    Kyocera Hydro Mar 2014 Ring+ 2016
    Google Voice Feb 2014 Ported TF (AT&T) # to GV
    Azpen A700 Nov 2013 7" Android tablet for GV/Talkatone
    LG 840G Sep 2013 Replaced C155
    NetTalk DUO Oct 2010 To Oct 2015 Replaced Verizon Land Line
    Verizon Land Line Oct 2010 Dropped & Ported # to TF
    Motorola V176 Jan 2008 To Apr 2014
    Motorola C155 Apr 2007 To Sep 2013 My first cell phone

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    So FreedomPop might be free after some startup costs... of $5 to $15... Of course they advertise 100% free. Well that does not sound like its 100% free to me. 100% free to me means I don't need to give them a credit card. Why should I, if I only want the free stuff?

RingPlus was 100% free at one time. I did not have to give them a credit card. It was truly 100% free.

I also heard that FreedomPop makes it very hard to turn off paid features. Like hiding links and using very small text. It does not sound like a company I would want to deal with. And whats all this nonsense about charging a penny a month on your credit card. You can see why I got scared away from them.
    That's your choice, of course.

For me, I've had no trouble, and combined with Google Voice & Hangouts, I've had free cellular service since March, 2017.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's your choice, of course.

For me, I've had no trouble, and combined with Google Voice & Hangouts, I've had free cellular service since March, 2017.
    Yes, but I think you said you got in before they changed their rules? I hear they are always changing their rules. Anybody else recently signup for FreedomPop want to share their experience and costs.

Feedback Score

Freedompop is completely free after paying $10 to downgrade to the free plan AND not having overages. Voicemail is not free. Possible overages are the reason they require a credit card.

The nonsense about the "Account Maintenance" penny a month is just that, nonsense. It is supposed to be because of lack of minimum use, but they don't track use accurately. I use the minimum of at least 5 MB a month, but it frequently shows zero use. It does not happen on all accounts. It defies rhyme or reason, but, whatever, it is a penny a month.

Downgrading to free is not hard. You have to downgrade the plan to basic 200 and disable the promotional services. You do have to read the links and prompts carefully to do this. It used to be free to do this. It now costs $10, plus $5 if you want to disable auto Top Ups. These are one time fees.

FP is running on on a shoestring with venture capital like Ringplus, but they are no where near as disingenuous and deceitful as Ringplus was. They have said that they are trying to reduce freeloaders.

The voice service does not work worth a bucket of warm spit for me even over good Wifi. The data works fine.

There is no phone customer support for free plans. They are pretty good with support issues on Twitter.

As far as giving them a credit card goes, virtual cards are the way to go for ALL online purchases. I give them a card worth $1. Not much risk there.

Feedback Score
    I was looking to preserve my old landline phone # in case a long lost relative was looking for me. All of my older relatives are dead now, and the younger ones who mignt call would just be looking for money anyway, so I just let the # die.

It's too bad Tmobile discontinued the Gold Rewards prepaid plan, the minutes lasted a year, and could be refilled for $10. I did this for my old business #. Free would be better. Most of the virtual voice mail companies were at least $20 a year, so the porting to GV is still the cheapest.

I did find old Tmobile Gold Rewards SIM's on Ebay for over $200. I would take half of that for my SIM. GV still cheaper in the long run.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but I think you said you got in before they changed their rules? I hear they are always changing their rules. Anybody else recently signup for FreedomPop want to share their experience and costs.
    The two independent links I posted above describe things as they are now, and were written based on recent user experiences, which is also posted in various threads on HoFo and elsewhere.

I've used FP since June, 2016, and was comfortable enough with the service to start using FP as my primary cellular service provider in March, 2017.

Yes, there have been changes in how I use FP due to FP service changes. The biggest change for me was when FP eliminated the gifting of an additional 500MB/mo on top of the 500MB/mo Freedom Friends data. That change cause my monthly data allowance per SIM card to go down from 1,200MB to 700MB/mo. Of course I complained, but that change just meant I now need switch to a second FP SIM card once per month, since my LTE data usage is almost always less than 1,100MB/mo, including using Hangouts for all my calls and messaging, so it wasn't a big deal for me.

I have saved money by using free LTE service from FP, but really not all that much. If I wasn't using free FP service, I'd be using the Red Pocket 500/500/500 plan with a current price of ~$7.83/mo paid $94/360 days.

But the freedom I feel of being able to use any of my LTE phones or tablets, each with it's own FP AT&T LTE SIM card, seamlessly and/or simultaneously for calling and texting by using GV/Hangouts for all voice and messaging is priceless to me.

I'm not trying to talk you into using FP. If FP makes you nervous, I'd suggest that you don’t use FP.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information. I will have to look into virtual cards. I never heard of them.

Can't you just sign up for the free plan in the beginning and save the $10 downgrading fee?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Freedompop is completely free after paying $10 to downgrade to the free plan AND not having overages. Voicemail is not free. Possible overages are the reason they require a credit card.

The nonsense about the "Account Maintenance" penny a month is just that, nonsense. It is supposed to be because of lack of minimum use, but they don't track use accurately. I use the minimum of at least 5 MB a month, but it frequently shows zero use. It does not happen on all accounts. It defies rhyme or reason, but, whatever, it is a penny a month.

Downgrading to free is not hard. You have to downgrade the plan to basic 200 and disable the promotional services. You do have to read the links and prompts carefully to do this. It used to be free to do this. It now costs $10, plus $5 if you want to disable auto Top Ups. These are one time fees.

FP is running on on a shoestring with venture capital like Ringplus, but they are no where near as disingenuous and deceitful as Ringplus was. They have said that they are trying to reduce freeloaders.

The voice service does not work worth a bucket of warm spit for me even over good Wifi. The data works fine.

There is no phone customer support for free plans. They are pretty good with support issues on Twitter.

As far as giving them a credit card goes, virtual cards are the way to go for ALL online purchases. I give them a card worth $1. Not much risk there.
    The TOTAL currently required top-up is $5 to disable top-up and downgrade to 100% free, not $15 as you described. Read the info at the links I posted above.

I have 9 FP accounts with 12 SIM cards and all have real regular credit cards attached. I got a few $0.01 charges around 6 months ago, but none since, and no other charges ever from FP.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information. I will have to look into virtual cards. I never heard of them.

Can't you just sign up for the free plan in the beginning and save the $10 downgrading fee?
    There is no downgrade fee at all. You currently have to add a top-up in order to 1) disable auto top-up and then 2) downgrade!!!!! And the required top-up is currently $5, NOT $10 and NOT $15!!!!!

Can you people PLEASE read what I described and the links I posted above!?!?!?

This is why so many people have trouble with FP. Too many people just go willy-nilly doing whatever they want, making things up, instead of reading and comprehending what the people at the links I posted above took the time to write!!!!!

FreedomPop is free as long as you follow the rules. They require a credit card for overages. I have 12 FP SIM cards, using them in 3 phones and 3 tablets, since 2016. With 10+ Freedom Friends, each SIM card has 700MB/mo, with 680MB/mo usable before being charged a top-up. I have my devices set to warn at 625MB and cut off cellular data at 650MB. There have been times when I have used around 670MB on a FP SIM card in a month, due to my phone not immediately stopping data at the 650MB cut-off. But I have never had an overage charge. As I reach the 625MB level for each SIM card, I switch to another FP SIM card.

I have also never been charged for any of the optional FP plans or services.

If you don't already have FP SIM cards, the downgrade to the free plan now requires a $5 to-up, which you do after you disable automatic future top-ups, which is where the $5 comes in. The info is at the links below. I got all of my FP SIM cards before this new requirement.

Info:
    http://cranialborborygmus.com/freedo...or-dummies.htm
    cheapocellular.weebly.com

Feedback Score
    The TOTAL currently required top-up is $5 to disable top-up and downgrade to 100% free, not $15 as you described. Read the info at the links I posted above.

I have 9 FP accounts with 12 SIM cards and all have real regular credit cards attached. I got a few $0.01 charges around 6 months ago, but none since, and no other charges ever from FP.
    Ok, so it is $5 if you do it in the order: Disable Top Up, then downgrade the plan & services - $15 the other way round. $5 is better.

Feedback Score
    Virtual cards are awesome for online purchases. Your risk is limited to how much and how long you fund them for. There is no way for vendors or hackers to get to your underlying card number. Cards issued by Citi have them. Capitol One just started having them but you have to use an app on ;your phone. I don't want that. There is another, maybe Wells Fargo that has them. IIRC, FP does not accept prepaid or gift credit cards.

What you get with the 1 cent SIM and free shipping is a paid plan for something like $30 a month. As boz said, it is $5 to downgrade if you do it in the correct order. I think there was a way at one time to buy the free plan, but there may have been several dollars for the SIM and shipping.

$5 one-time really isn't much for 700 MB a month of free data.

FP has been running along fine for several years. Like Ringplus, if the venture capital runs out, service could end or not be free anymore on very short notice.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Maybe Ii will give it a try... I will have to remember that order. Disable Top-UP, then downgrade the plans and service. And pray I don't miss anything....

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Maybe Ii will give it a try... I will have to remember that order. Disable Top-UP, then downgrade the plans and service. And pray I don't miss anything....
    Just read the links that Boz posted. It can be very confusing, but those links make everything pretty clear and will keep you from running into the same pitfalls that others have and get charged for something you weren't expecting and didn't want.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast