Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are there any FREE VOIP vendors with FREE porting? RingTo 3/31/2018 Deadline

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    I was looking to preserve my old landline phone # in case a long lost relative was looking for me. All of my older relatives are dead now, and the younger ones who mignt call would just be looking for money anyway, so I just let the # die.

It's too bad Tmobile discontinued the Gold Rewards prepaid plan, the minutes lasted a year, and could be refilled for $10. I did this for my old business #. Free would be better. Most of the virtual voice mail companies were at least $20 a year, so the porting to GV is still the cheapest.

I did find old Tmobile Gold Rewards SIM's on Ebay for over $200. I would take half of that for my SIM. GV still cheaper in the long run.
    Thank you for your post.

The number that I was looking to preserve (that was on RingTo) was my original cell number, which I gave to my dearly departed Mom and occasionally still get calls for the both of us on.

To be honest though, the calls are so infrequent now that I’m just saying “Adieu...” and letting it go. Folks can call me on my everyday number if they really need to get ahold of me.

I’m not interested in spending $ to keep it, nor am I interested in jumping through the hoops other folks jump through.

RingTo was an excellent service. RIP.

Device(s)
    Nokia 2610, 6030b, 2118, 2280, 3555b, 6215i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA; AT&T Mobility USA; Vodafone NZ; 2degrees NZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Virtual cards are awesome for online purchases. Your risk is limited to how much and how long you fund them for. There is no way for vendors or hackers to get to your underlying card number. Cards issued by Citi have them. Capitol One just started having them but you have to use an app on ;your phone. I don't want that. There is another, maybe Wells Fargo that has them. IIRC, FP does not accept prepaid or gift credit cards.
    Just checked. It’s a Chrome extension for desktop PCs. At least it doesn’t require Flash like Citi’s.

Personally I’d like the option of an app for smartphones like the Final Visa card had before they decided to shut down.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    FP has been running along fine for several years. Like Ringplus, if the venture capital runs out, service could end or not be free anymore on very short notice.
    Yes. Hence why personally I only use them for data.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    100% free to me means I don't need to give them a credit card. Why should I, if I only want the free stuff?
    Because they ask.

RingPlus was 100% free at one time. I did not have to give them a credit card. It was truly 100% free.
    And where is RingPlus now?

I also heard that FreedomPop makes it very hard to turn off paid features. Like hiding links and using very small text. It does not sound like a company I would want to deal with...... You can see why I got scared away from them.
    It has not been hard for anyone who has been on it for more than two months and now have multiple SIMs with them. Your fear is overly sensitive. Do you where a helmet when you drive a car? It would be safer, you know.

Can't you just sign up for the free plan in the beginning and save the $10 downgrading fee?
    You can call them and try? In November I activated a Global SIM and was able to start with the free plan.
    But then they offered and I accepted a free LTE SIM and I don't recall if I asked to be on the free plan or not but I got the normal offer.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for the information.

Well I got shamed into trying to sign up with FP. I did read the links above. They were pretty good, but I still didn't do so good.

I got so far, but it wanted to charge me $19.99 for activation. So I stopped. I did not even get to the point where I could turn off top-up or downgrade service. Sorry, my version of FREE must be different from FP. Very different...

Kyocera Smartphone Activation $19.99
    Basic 200 Show Details
    FREE
    FreedomPop Premium Plus Trial ($7.99/month) Show Details
    FREE
    Sub Total:
    $19.99
    Last edited by TJN; 02-07-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Correction and update
    OBIHAI 200 Oct 2015 Replaced NetTalk
    Alcatel A383G Jul 2015 To Jan 2016 Replaced A382G
    Alcatel A382G Apr 2014 To Jul 2015
    Kyocera Hydro Mar 2014 Ring+ 2016
    Google Voice Feb 2014 Ported TF (AT&T) # to GV
    Azpen A700 Nov 2013 7" Android tablet for GV/Talkatone
    LG 840G Sep 2013 Replaced C155
    NetTalk DUO Oct 2010 To Oct 2015 Replaced Verizon Land Line
    Verizon Land Line Oct 2010 Dropped & Ported # to TF
    Motorola V176 Jan 2008 To Apr 2014
    Motorola C155 Apr 2007 To Sep 2013 My first cell phone

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    RingPlus was 100% free at one time. I did not have to give them a credit card. It was truly 100% free.
    Early on maybe, but they eventually transitioned to requiring a CC on file to satisfy the minimum balance and auto top requirements.

I personally would not want anything associated with those scam artists! LOL, you should see what Karl is up to these days, but I digress.

I could not figure out how to bring my own CDMA (Sprint-3G) phone that was not being used.
    Since you have an unloved Sprint 3g device for $10 you can port to Tello paygo and no FP hoops to jump through. The balance is good as long as long as you make a call, text or use some data every 90 days, or the balance will expire.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Ls61.

I am already using Tello for my main cell phone. Tello is very good and I am happy with them. But again, I thought I could get free service from FP. Free is good.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I could not figure out how to bring my own CDMA (Sprint-3G) phone that was not being used.
    I'm sorry, but I can't help you much with the Sprint side of FP.

All of my personal experience, and all of my comments above, are regarding the free service using FP SIM cards.

Also, the 1st info link I posted above ONLY talks about the FP AT&T LTE SIM, and the 2nd info link I posted above is 99% about the FP Global and FP AT&T LTE SIMs, so neither directly relates to the FP Sprint service.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    No problem Boz1. Thanks for all the SIM info.

Maybe someone else will have some answers/suggestions.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Info from TextNow:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-31-2018/page3

Feedback Score

Try Activate Sprint phone on FP at:

https://www.freedompop.com/byodpromo9

I have one that I activated months ago. Sprint devices get 500 MB base data and can get the same 500 MB friend data. LTE data is throttled to 1 Mbps some or most of the time. I used mine yesterday and got 3.9 Mbps.

I don't know if they screen out 3G devices or throttle on 3G.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Ls61.

I am already using Tello for my main cell phone. Tello is very good and I am happy with them. But again, I thought I could get free service from FP. Free is good.
    Well with FP you have jump through hoops just to pay your $5 or $10 dues to downgrade to "free" and then jump through hoops just to keep that top up balance active and after 90 days if not "re-activated" they will zero it out, plus you still need to use the device, I believe, every 60 days or risk it being disabled and possibly lose the number there after. You also only get get a whopping 1Mbps with "free" Sprint service.

FP = PITA, IMHO.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    FP has been great for me, but I've never used the FP service for calls. I've only used FP for cellular data.

With the new changes, I probably would still try it if I were a new user, but I probably wouldn't have as many FP SIM cards, so I can understand new users being more hesitant now.

Device(s)
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I have 5 FP sims, 1 global data only-2 global talk/text/data sims- and 2 talk/text/data att lte sims. I have had them for about 1-2&1/2 years. In my thinking, I would rather pay $5 to disable auto top ups than get hit with a $10 or $15 charge if I have gone over limits. So I did the $5 charge to disable auto top ups for all the sims. However, if you are new to FP, it hits you as a surprise and pisses you off at the same time. I did 1 at a time just as an experiment since I had 3 global sims. Then when the att lte sims were offered, I knew the ins and outs of the secret charges of FP and was expecting it. Print is very small, and links are hidden. Then after you think you have disabled everything there was glitch and everything was still active and you had to deactivate all over again. Another headache. But if you want free- you gotta work for it.

As of now- today, I just went onto all my accounts and found 2 inactivated and had to just hit the reactivate button at no cost. Then on all of them I just had to go into the settings on the left top of the screen- the 3 dash horizontal lines. Go into billing, >history> and click on credit balance to the right of the billing word. Scroll down to the bottom and click on reactivate credit and your credit will be restored. A pain in the butt I know, but you can always restore your $ put out to disable your auto top ups. Even after 6 months of inactivity.

Problems I have had with FP: Note, I rarely use them, but I have as back ups and experiments at the time, but all are working now.
    However, there were problems setting them up. Some were never delivered- after I had charges on the account to disable top ups. So I had to cancel, and reorder. Get on the phone to reps to fix their mess, and some were not easy to work with. Then, If you didn't have the extra service, you couldn't call to fix the problem about lack of delivery of the sims. Since I disabled all the extra services prior to receiving some of the sims I had a real mess to fix, and doing it over emails worked the best.. Very responsive and capable but it took days to communicate.

If you set up several sims on the same email account, only the 1st sim listed can get free data. So, to move the sims onto new email accounts was just a huge hassle, sometimes worked, and sometimes didn't, and then they cut off giving away free data or receiving free data from friends, Without giving a heads up. You get linking friends for 500 mb more per account- That seems to be the limit. So all my cards have 700 mb data.

To sum up my experience with FP, my investment to FP is $5/sim to assure it is free- but I have that as credit per sim if I ever want to add more data or minutes. If you run out of data or minutes you are just cut off until the next cycle without auto top up on. Stay on top of your usage to keep your sim active, or you have to reactivate- at no cost, just time on the internet under your FP account, and you have to add friends to get your free data. Google "how to get free data on Freedom Pop "and you should find a thread that makes it easy.

Finally, if you don't use your device for awhile, it takes some time to re-register your phone(have your phone find the freedom pop connection) over the internet to get your service flowing again. I hope this long post answers questions you may have.

I have not had recent experience setting up FP, so your charges may be a little different. All my set-ups were 1 year or more ago.
    Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back up is when you screw up!

It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank-you.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Thanks for the extended post.

Quote Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post
    ........... Then on all of them I just had to go into the settings on the left top of the screen- the 3 dash horizontal lines. Go into billing, >history> and click on credit balance to the right of the billing word. Scroll down to the bottom and click on reactivate credit and your credit will be restored.
    Have you or anyone ever been able to do this from a computer web page?
    I have only been able to do this from a web page on the phone [android].

Quote Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post

If you set up several sims on the same email account, only the 1st sim listed can get free data.
    Actually both [I assume all with more than two on the account] SIMs will get the data on the second month and following. Only the first month has only one SIM getting the data.

Device(s)
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I have only adjusted my account from a computer web page. So yes, it can be done on a computer.

And to address the free extra data from friends, I have only gotten that free data on the first sim listed on the account. It has never gone over to the other sims on the same account in a years time. I have only 1 account with 3 sims on it. I moved 1 of the sims to a new email account(then that sim got free data from linking friends), and left the 2nd sim with the original account. It still doesn't get any free data, just the original 200 mb.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast