Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are there any FREE VOIP vendors with FREE porting? RingTo 3/31/2018 Deadline

Feedback Score

Are there any FREE VOIP vendors with FREE porting? RingTo 3/31/2018 Deadline

With RingTo getting out of the business 3/31/2018 a lot of people are going to be looking for a FREE place to port their numbers for FREE. RingTo met all my requirements.

I know there are a lot VOIP vendors out there. Way too many for me to check out all of them. Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light and help us out.

My requirement is FREE VOIP incoming calls with voice mail only service and Free porting. I do not need outbound calling.

Google Voice is out because of the $20 porting charge (with a lot of hoops).
    TextNow is out because no free way of porting a number to their free service.
    TalkaTone is out because of their 30 day activity rules.

These are the ones I looked at so far. Can anybody suggest any others I should check out?
    OBIHAI 200 Oct 2015 Replaced NetTalk
    Alcatel A383G Jul 2015 To Jan 2016 Replaced A382G
    Alcatel A382G Apr 2014 To Jul 2015
    Kyocera Hydro Mar 2014 Ring+ 2016
    Google Voice Feb 2014 Ported TF (AT&T) # to GV
    Azpen A700 Nov 2013 7" Android tablet for GV/Talkatone
    LG 840G Sep 2013 Replaced C155
    NetTalk DUO Oct 2010 To Oct 2015 Replaced Verizon Land Line
    Verizon Land Line Oct 2010 Dropped & Ported # to TF
    Motorola V176 Jan 2008 To Apr 2014
    Motorola C155 Apr 2007 To Sep 2013 My first cell phone

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The short answer as of now is “No.”.

Perhaps some enterprising company will come up with a service similar to RingTo or offer a special/promo for RingTo refugees like a couple carriers did for Ring+ refugees.

Remember: The only numbers that Talkatone will port in are GV numbers, so if keeping a number is worth it, there’s a $23 one time fee ($20 into GV, $3 out of GV) to go from ‘carrier/service X’ to GV to Talkatone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks bakedapple!

I like short answers... Of course it was not the one I wanted to hear. But it was short.

I did not know that Talkatone will only port in GV numbers. You learn something every day. Being a big GV fan, I am not sure why anyone would pay the porting charges for GV and port away from them. Talkatone must be offering something special.

The 2 numbers I have on RingTo are not worth porting to GV as I was planning on releasing them at the end of the year anyway. So maybe they will just be released 9 months early.

Thanks again for your reply.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You’re welcome.

Actually...the more I think about it, I might just say “screw it” and not bother with my wayward number.

As far as GV goes, I’ve read a few posts here and there about it having problems. Most folks that use it seem to like it, but I want something as easy to use and as reliable as RingTo - Talkatone and TextNow seem to be close IMHO.

OTOH, like I posted before, there’s going to be a sizable amount of RingTo numbers that are going to be “out there”. I would think one of these VOIP providers will try to caputure a chunk of the RingTo numbers by offering some type of deal to port over.

There’s still 6-7 weeks before RingTo is RIP, so there’s time for offer(s) to pop up.

Feedback Score
    Anveo: not free, but $0.50/month (plus one time fee of $2.00) is good deal

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    That's a really good deal. I've used Number Barn ($5 to port, $2 a month to park [any actual usage is extra]) and VOiP.ms (free to port, but you get absolutely no usage without a $25 top-up plus a separate unrelated purchase of a SIP client).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    As far as GV goes, I’ve read a few posts here and there about it having problems. Most folks that use it seem to like it, but I want something as easy to use and as reliable as RingTo - Talkatone and TextNow seem to be close IMHO.
    I am a big GV fan and have used it for years. We also use it for our home phone using a OBI200. I have three very active numbers there. But one of the best features is, once you port your number to GV, it is the safest place for it. I don't think Google is going out of business. Of course nothing is 100% but I believe it is the safest place. So if there is a number you really care about, GV is the place. Pay the $20 and jump through the hoops of first moving the number to a cell phone. GV is not perfect. But its not too bad at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Very true!!! But, once you get used to free, its hard to go back....:<) Like having Air Conditioning.

I am sure a lot of people will jump on the Anveo deal. For me, if I can't get free, I will be returning my two numbers back to the pool.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    I am a big GV fan and have used it for years. We also use it for our home phone using a OBI200. I have three very active numbers there. But one of the best features is, once you port your number to GV, it is the safest place for it. I don't think Google is going out of business. Of course nothing is 100% but I believe it is the safest place. So if there is a number you really care about, GV is the place. Pay the $20 and jump through the hoops of first moving the number to a cell phone. GV is not perfect. But its not too bad at all.
    Good points, thanks.

Does GV work as easily as RingTo?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Good points, thanks.

I never used RingTo, but GV works well for me. I have used my same GV # since 2009, and I ported my old home phone # to GV on a separate Google account in 2015.

I use an Obi200 with GV and use it on my home phone handsets.

Until March, 2017, I had calls to my GV # forwarded to my cellular provider #.

Starting in March, 2017, I have used both of my GV #s through Hangouts on my cell phones and tablets using free FreedomPop AT&T LTE SIMs and over WifFi. I no longer have any "real" phone service. I only use my GV #s over data.

GV has worked very well for me.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    Good info! Thank you for sharing.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I never used RingTo, but GV works well for me. I have used my same GV # since 2009, and I ported my old home phone # to GV on a separate Google account in 2015.

I use an Obi200 with GV and use it on my home phone handsets.

Until March, 2017, I had calls to my GV # forwarded to my cellular provider #.

Starting in March, 2017, I have used both of my GV #s through Hangouts on my cell phones and tablets using free FreedomPop AT&T LTE SIMs and over WifFi. I no longer have any "real" phone service. I only use my GV #s over data.

GV has worked very well for me.
    And thank you too!

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both and find RingTo easier to navigate some of the basic functions. Listening to a voicemail is easy in both but blocking a number is easier in RingTo. There are some differences in feature sets also. For example you have complete control in RingTo over how long a phone will ring before RingTo's voicemail answers. GV does not have this ability. The differences between the two products are not huge, however; if you are used to RingTo, getting used to GV might take a week.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I was wondering about FreedomPop. Just how free is it? I have heard all kinds of horror stories about them with their charges. If it is free service, why do I need to give them my credit card. So they scared me away.

We use 3 GV numbers, two of them with OBI200s to support our old landline phones. The third number supports my cell phone, tablets and PCs, but no old landline phones. We also still use one Tracfone and one Tello cell phones. Remember, you only need an OBI200 if you want to support old landline type phones. The OBI200 is not required to support cell phones, tablets, and PCs.

GV since Feb 2014.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    I have both and find RingTo easier to navigate some of the basic functions. Listening to a voicemail is easy in both but blocking a number is easier in RingTo. There are some differences in feature sets also. For example you have complete control in RingTo over how long a phone will ring before RingTo's voicemail answers. GV does not have this ability. The differences between the two products are not huge, however; if you are used to RingTo, getting used to GV might take a week.
    Very good points. The fact that RingTo had one interface and GV has several (GV, Hangouts,etc) makes RingTo a bit easier. But once you learn GV, its not too bad. And I don't think Google is going anywhere. I have been on several systems (RingTo, RingPlus, etc.) that have all gone under. You eventually get tired of porting your numbers around and learning different interfaces. GV is your safe bet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast